Chapter 73: Uncertainty
112 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 73.Uncertainty

"WHAT?" Lucas loudly said upon hearing those words.

Even Michael who usually has his cool has lost his composure upon hearing it.

Because of this sentence, the soldiers around them who are already in disorder have immediately calmed down.

No one among them would expect that an explosion of that degree would be done by his Father.

The Hubert they know doesn't seem like a powerful person at first glance as he rarely uses his full strength in dealing with a lot of things.

This is also the same reason why a lot of people underestimate his father's capabilities.

Because he hides his fangs behind a mask that only a few people know.

"Bu-But how?" Lucas asks still in shock.

An explosion that is comparable to a small atomic bomb. I'm afraid that Hubert is the only person among them who can make it happen. That is also the reason why he is the lord of this territory his strength has back it all up.

It's no wonder why so many nobles are afraid of him they hate him not just because of his background but also because of his strength.

If the Beaufort family would be given a chance to redeem their selves theirs a great chance that they could regain all their rights as a duke.

After all, several hundred years have passed by since their family was sent to this place. The grievances that happen in the past, no longer exist today.

Heck, even most of the people in the Turox kingdom don't know the real reason why they were sent to this place. It's easier to say that only the royal family knows about it.

Those hundred years are more than enough to make most people forget a lot of things. As time can erase everything since nothing is absolute when it comes to time.

The fear of many nobles of the Beaufort family is understandable. After all, it is an amazing feat to maintain their family strength for a long time as they kept on giving birth to a powerful heirs.

If we're going to compare it to the current strength of the kingdom the Beaufort family would definitely enter the top 10.

And only a handful of large and powerful families can compete with them when it comes to power. But in front of the current king, even Hubert needs to bow his head as his power is still insufficient to face the might of a powerful wizard.

All of this information is, of course, unknown to Lucas and even if he knows about it he would not care.

The secret behind the strength of the Beaufort family relies on self-sufficiency since most of their people need to do hard work to survive in this place.

It's easier to say that this place is filled with competition as it is the key that helps them maintain the strength and power they have right now.

Only the strong can thrive in this place and we can compare it to selective breeding in modern times.

What do you think would happen if we keep on breeding two healthy and strong individuals?

Of course, they would have a higher chance to give birth to a stronger child.

Creating a loop that would never end unless something catastrophic happens.

Let's also add the fact that people would gain knowledge as time passes by. So several hundred years is enough for the people of Florentine to gain a foothold over this place.

They have the necessary knowledge and skills to survive in a cruel place like this.

The monster wave that they have faced today might be the worst that they had in the hundred years but it doesn't mean that they would just give up everything that they have in this place.

Instead, it would inspire most of them to learn more about this new threat so that they could face them better in the future.

Flexibility is also one of the things these people have learned to adapt over the years that it became engraved into their souls. So matter what happens they would always look for ways to get what they want.

Although it is true that Florentine city isn't as safe as other cities due to its close proximity to the enchanted forest but here lies the foundation of the Beaufort family.

Leaving this place is not even an option for them because it's like abandoning your only house.

Beaufort family might be considered powerful in today's age but if they would set foot in the capital they would be eaten alive by its overplowing greed.

Only by keeping their house safe and secure is the only way for them to thrive in this place.

If they would choose to acclimate their selves to the current situation they would only spell their own doomed.

One of the reasons why the quality of knights in the Turox kingdom has drastically gone down in the past century is because of the interbreeding of rejected goods.

As I've mentioned earlier there is a shortcut to becoming an official knight and that is by consuming a special knight potion from the potion guild.

But only a few people know that there is a strong side effect of taking this shortcut.

It's basically consuming their own potential cutting off their future advancement.

This causes stagnation in a huge part of the knight's population and the effects of this potion can also be passed down to their child further limiting their talent and potential growth to advance.

The effects of this potion are not immediate it's like a toxin in the body. A small amount won't hinder you from doing your daily activities, but the more you consume this potion the stronger the toxins become.

This is currently what happening to many people in the Turox kingdom since its existence is constantly growing.

The effects of this potion for people who have not taken this before would be tremendous. Allowing them to directly advance in rank without any sweat.

This is what occurred several hundred years ago causing a huge ruckus about its great effects.

Thankfully, the 3 powerful empires on this continent can't accept an outside organization like the potion guild existing in their territory. Prompting them to ban all their products in their empire since it can be seen as overstepping their boundaries.

This is the reason why the Potion guild has become a powerful organization in today's age.

But now that hundreds of years have passed by the side effects of this potion are starting to show its effects.

Causing stagnation in a huge part of the kingdom's forces.

But getting back to the topic Lucas is certain that the explosion was not his father's doing because his father describe to him once the limit of his own capabilities.

And this atomic-scale explosion is out of his league. Because Lucas clearly hear it before from the mouth of his own father.

"When it comes to my strength I'm still far from achieving the same effects as other knights. Since my strongest attack hasn't achieved the power to make a huge mushroom cloud appear in the sky." This is what Lucas hear from his father before when he asked him about his strength.

His father clearly said those words to him not long ago as he just asked this question during the first week that they were trapped in this fog.

"Sir Hugo I'm afraid you're making a mistake. My father doesn't yet have this kind of strength to achieve this power of destruction." Lucas said to him as he quickly run after Hugo.

"I never said that it was your father that causes this explosion." Hugo grimly replied before he picked up his speed once again leaving them in the dust.

"Wait.... sir Hugo what do you mean by this?" Lucas asked in an apprehensive manner before Hugo banished out of his sight.

By now Lucas doesn't want to think anything bad that happens regarding his father but based on Hugo's expression, it seems like that explosion was caused by a monster attack.

A possibility that he doesn't want to accept.

"Master Lucas should we follow him." Michael suddenly asks him from behind.

With a chaotic mind and heavy heart, Lucas decided to follow him. After all, it was his father were talking about.

"But what about that monster if something bad really happens to lord Hubert then I can't let you follow him, it's too dangerous." Michael said in a defiant manner.

In simple words, if something bad really happens to his Father then Lucas safety is his first priority since he would be the next lord of the territory.

Michael might have said these words in straight forward manner but it was also something that he can't accept. Hubert is like a father figure to him and if something bad happens then he can only do everything in his power to protect his last hope and that is his son.

"Nothing bad will happen to him. It's my father we're talking about here." Lucas solemnly said as he stare menacingly at Michael.

"It's just-."

"No, just follow them. Now!" determinedly said by Lucas before running after Hugo.

With a heavy feeling in his chest, Michael can't do anything but follow after Lucas to make sure his safety is guaranteed.

Even with his battered body Michael is willing to sacrifice his life in order to follow the last mission he received from Hubert and that is to keep his son safe.

5