Chapter 38: The Pledge
328 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 38: The Pledge.

Callisto takes a deep breath before looking at me in the eyes and said.

"The Stratnan family can no longer stay in Kingstown territory." Callisto said in a trembling voice. "I-I c-cant protect all of them on my own I need your help." He softly said as he look at me in despair.

"What do you mean by that sir Callisto?" I said as I gave him a puzzled look.

"Did something happen to your family in the Kingstown territory?" Worriedly asked by Michael as he approaches him.

As far as I know, even though the Stratnan family have already lost their control over their territory it doesn't come to a point that it would need them to leave that place.

"I don't know how would I explain this but since Nikolai from the Burnham family transfer to Kingstown a lot of bad things have started happening to us." Callisto said as he keeps his emotion upkeep.

"I don't have any evidence that could point them out as the main cause of all the misfortune that my family has suffered for the past few years, but they are the only ones who can do it." He added.

So even he, knows that there was something wrong with the sudden transfer of Nikolai to their territory.

Because from the start that Callisto takes over the management of the territory a lot of problems suddenly arise out of nowhere. Although a lot of people might think that it was just normal because of his inexperience and young age but it's not as everything seems to be planned to happen at the very start.

"Sir Callisto are you sure about your decision? you really want to leave the land that your family has ruled and develop for a long time?" I ask for confirmation as I put down the cup of tea on the table.

It won't be easy to do what he requested from me. Even if I allowed him to bring all his family members back to our city I can't guarantee their safety during the transfer. At the same time, the Stratnan family is also known as one of the few wealthy barons in the kingdom due to their monopoly of Ignit ore for a long time.

A lot of people would definitely oppose this move of him to suddenly transfer his family to this place, and even his family members themselves might not agree with his decision.

It's actually a common sight to see a nobleman to leave their territory and transfer to another city while maintaining their rule over that place.

A very fine example of this is the nobles who live in the capital of the Turox kingdom most of them have a fiefdom and territory far from that place but they chose to live near the palace.

"Master Lucas, my decision is final the Stratnan family's foundation in Kingstown city is already gone our businesses were already sold off to our competitors if we stay there any longer we would lose everything." Callisto told me in a somber tone as he looks at me in the eye.

"I'm willing to pledge my loyalty to the Beaufort family as long as I can give my family a chance to survive." He added before he makes the pledge of a knight using his aura.

A pledge is not as simple as it sounds it's not just an oath or promise that anyone can give to other people, because in this world a pledge is like a magic contract that will bind you forever to the person who you make the pledge.

"Sir Callisto!" Shout by Michael in surprise when he saw the light that rises in Callisto's body as he finished his pledge.

While I was left there astounded by what happened, at the same time it also disrupted a lot of my plans as I can no longer decline his request for help.

I'm not sure how did it happen but a pledge shouldn't be formed between us. Since I didn't agree yet to his request but somehow Callisto successfully finished it.

The only way for a pledge to formally form between us. Is that, if both parties involved have agreed to it, and since Callisto's oath is about serving under our family. Only me and my father can accept it, and once one of us accepted his pledge it's the only time that a bond would be formed between us to act as the contract.

But my father is not here with me and there are only three people in this room aside from Michael no other person should be able to hear it.

So how did Callisto's pledge form successfully?

I was about to ask Michael if he already told my father about Callisto's request but I was shocked to find a golden string that appears from his body connecting to me and Callisto.

It seems like I was the only person in this room who could see the golden string that connected the three of us, but I also notice another string that leads outside the mansion.

This seems to be formed from the bond that Callisto has made by his pledge of allegiance to my family.

But if this is the bond then why does Michael have the golden string?

He is not even involved in Callisto's pledge? Except ...if he is also a Beaufort.....

My eyes flew wide open at what I suddenly realized, it's so inconceivable but that's the only possible reason why the pledge has become successful that Michael is a member of the Beaufort family.

Only someone from a Beaufort family can accept Callisto's request whether they are aware of it or not. As long as they are willing to accept it, then the pledge would be formed tying the two parties involved.

It seems like I have a lot of things that I need to talk to with my father later this day, especially things that are related to Michael.

"Thank you Master Lucas for accepting my oath you can rest assured that I would do everything to serve under your family." Callisto suddenly said as he stands up and gave me a grateful look.

A huge breath of relief can also be heard coming from him as he released all the pent up emotion on his body.

"I will forever be grateful to the Beaufort family Master Lucas." He said as he gave me a bow of acknowledgment.

The golden light that comes out from his body as he made his pledge has also vanished immediately.

Everything happens so fast that I didn't even have the time to deny or explain myself to him.

He thought that it was me who accepted his pledge but it's not.

"I'm also happy to help someone from Stratnan family it's been a long time but both of our ancestors are also good friends." I awkwardly replied to him as we both take our seat.

"Although the pledged is already been formed I still have a lot of questions sir Callisto." I said to him as I gaze at his eyes with serious look.

"Please just call me Callisto master Lucas and I'm also willing to answer every question you have." He said to me as he gave me a courtly salute.

"There are other cities out there that is much better than Florentine city, but why did you choose to transfer here?" I ask with complete puzzlement.

Callisto's choice seems to be lacking in planning, since he wouldn't get any benefits or advantages in transferring over to this place.

"I'm sure that you are also aware of the current predicament of our family with other nobles." I seriously said to him as both of us gaze at each other with solemn looks.

"And aside from that, the city of Florentine is also in danger of being attacked by the magic beast tide and I see nothing that could attract you over this place." I added as I stares at him the entire time.

"I know that a lot of people would rather avoid this place right now, but I have a great trust that your father can do something to solve it. He was known for his miraculous achievement in the Turox kingdom and even you master Lucas is already showing your might at a young age." He said as he praised me before pausing for a moment and stopping his gaze at the window outside.

"This is also the perfect opportunity for me to transfer my family to leave the Kingstown territory without anyone's interference." He added as he look at Michael with admiration.

"It's been a long time that the Beaufort family is being isolated by everyone and yet your family doesn't fail on producing such high-quality warriors over this barren territory for the past few decades. I also hope that by serving under your family it would allow me to breakthrough to the next rank of knighthood" said by him in a firm voice as he looked at me seriously in the eye.

"And Master Lucas, You might be able to hide it to ordinary wizards or knights, but I was born different." He blurted as he gaze at Michael and me.

"I can feel it." He uttered with a strong voice.

"The strong energy flowing in your body is one of a sign that you are a transcended being." He said solemnly as he look at me.

The last line he said to me has really surprised me I didn't expect that someone would be able to find out my ascension to knighthood.

Even Michael gave Callisto an alarm look as he knows that I haven't even revealed my status to anyone aside from a few trusted people.

13