Chapter 5 – Fool Investigation
43 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I've arrived at the front of my apartment's door now. The door was closed, there's someone inside. Did new people rent this room already? Should I knock on the door?

Just before I wanted to knock on the door, the door opened and someone came out. It was Shal and he suddenly hugged me. This familiar scent and blonde hair.

"Where did you go this morning!?"

I stroke his back, "You know, I have that sleepwalker, and it brought me near the forest and it looks like it happened too long so I just came back at this hour."

"Geez, it's eleven in the afternoon now! Oh yeah, the boss said that we got a day off."

"What? That's good then! But why?"

"I guess it's because of that ritual from yesterday and I think he wants me to rest a bit, and I also reported your disappearance to our friends and manager in the hotel."

"Wait! You haven't reported it to the police, right?"

"Nah, I suspected it's your sleepwalker too but it's just unusual this time."

"Indeed, oh yeah is Era inside too?"

"She came earlier than me and cleaned your room but went to her boss after getting an emergency call," Shal continues, "She says to not worry because she knows you a lot better than anyone else and believes that you'll be home unscathed."

"Unscathed? It's not like I got into a fight."

"I know right? That's why I was worried and have to report it too."

"Anyone else that came here?"

"Ah yes! That magician girl from yesterday came here and left a sealed envelope."

Rim was it? What does she want? She even tracks down my address.

"What year is it that someone is still using physical messages?"

"Maybe she didn't have a way to call you and it may be important because it's sealed with the old red seal."

Indeed, I was going to call her but I was caught by a witch in the forest. I opened the seal and read the paper inside it.

[I want to talk about the evil gods' investigation with you, this matter is highly secret and known only to a few magicians and I want you to come and meet me at the designated address written inside the envelope.]

I decided to reveal the message to Shal and asked if he could come with me, "Are you going to join me?"

"Isn't it dangerous?"

"I'm sure it's not, you have me and that magician."

"I'll follow along then, by the way, what do you want for breakfast?"

"I think I want ice cream, it's lunch already anyway, and before that, I want to take a bath first."

"Yeah, you're right."

"Faas, are you sure this is the correct address? It's really creepy here."

"I'm sure of it, she wrote the address so detailed even including which alley... to enter this abandoned house."

Suddenly, I felt a chill from behind.

"Boo!" It was Rim.

"Aha! I'm shocked~"

"M-Me too~"

I'm definitely not surprised, because I can sense the surroundings with my and Lence synchronization, but Shal is faking it.

"Shal, this is Rim."

"Hello, I'm Shal Fess Herastel"

"I'm Ames Rim, and so you're from that Herastel noble family!?"

I almost forgot that Shal is born in a somewhat noble family, but he's not the only child and he's different from those freaks and is also the reason that I want to befriend him.

"Well, then why did you surprise us from behind?"

"I'm a cautious person and I can also prepare a countermeasure if it wasn't you who came here."

"So what do you want me to help here?",

"The evil god's followers will hold a meeting somewhere in this district, and I want you to join me and disguise as one of them to infiltrate the place."

Wait, does that mean there are a considerable amount of followers here that they could hold a meeting around this district? Should I consider moving from here?

"But why did you need my help?"

"Maybe you'll see something familiar that I didn't know after all those rituals you've experienced."

"Faas, are you sure?"

"Listen, all that tragedy that I've seen and happened around me is a mere coincidence, and knowing it's dangerous. I'm sorry, I've to decline your request."

Rim looks sad. Should I help her instead? 

"However, I could help you if it's only identifying blood symbols and ritual scenes."

"Well, give me your number then."

I called her number that I saved from the card.

"Thanks."

I have an idea. I'll talk to her through messenger.

[Hey, may I know the meeting address?]

[I thought you didn't want to help?]

[I'm curious, and Shal is worried about me if I talked about joining the meeting.]

[I understand that, so are you going to join?]

I don't know, I want to keep my ability as secret as possible. I'll play as an ordinary guy in front of Shal and other non-magicians, but I'll use the identity of a rogue magician when cornered. This is my secret and second life. Moreover, I'll tell this matter to Arth. I heard that she was hunting evil gods, and this could be the perfect chance for her.

[I still don't know about that, even if I have the time, I might or not join but don't worry, this address will be safe with me.]

[Alright, I'll send the address.]

"Faas, Shal, do you want to accompany me to a ritual that's happened around here? It's still fresh."

"Sure, but how about you, Shal?"

"I think I'll follow Faas, but I won't see the ritual directly."

"I understand that. By the way, Rim, this is the ice cream that we bought for you," We bought three ice creams a moment ago, one is for Rim but I hope it's not melted yet.

"Ah, thank you, I've not had breakfast and lunch today."

"Same."

A small apartment. Based on Rim's investigation and interview with the residents, the ritual occurred on the second floor and the victim was an old man, that type of kind and gentle old man. However, we truly can't see the true nature of a person that he decided to be the evil god's follower.

Ever since someone found out about the bloodied room, all the apartment's residents here emptied their room and moved somewhere else in fear of something similar happening again.

I and Rim entered the room while Shal is waiting outside of the building.

"Faas, are you actually a magician?" Rim asked.

"No, I'm not."

"Don't lie or I'll pry into your life."

"Well kinda, I could be a magician or not. It's up to you to interpret it."

"Magician isn't a simple feat that even a talented person can achieve without a master behind them. So, do you have a master?"

Do Lence and Arth count as my masters? Lence is basically my half body, and Arth looks like she wants to kidnap and kill me instead of teaching me.

"I think I have a master or I could be a rogue magician, you know after encountering a chance. Something that I can't tell you."

"Did you read grimoire?"

Lence, what is a grimoire?

"It's a book that contains a certain knowledge, spell, or technique that is sealed by a powerful magician. If someone were to open the book, all the information inside it would automatically be filled inside your brain."

That's so cheating.

"Not only that, the information will automatically adjust itself to your muscle memory, and condition as if you were an expert when performing the information inside it for the first time. However, it comes with a risk and uncertainty too, like a malicious being can be sealed inside it but the cover is faked or if the grimoire was too strong then it could burn or explode your brain instead."

I think Arth might have a lot of them, but I'm not intending to use this kind of cheating book unless I'm forced to. So I don't want to pry further into this grimoire and must learn everything by myself.

"I'm relieved you're not that kind of person."

"Hey, Faas! Don't doze out in the middle of a crime scene!" Rim clapped her hands.

"Ah sorry, so many things happened, and no, I didn't read grimoire. I hate cheating."

"Good then."

"Alright, I'll see the symbols on this side."

"Then, I'll see this one here."

I saw a unique symbol, it's like a completely different field from any blood symbols I've seen so far.

"FAAS! IT'S A TRAP!"

The whole room felt hot, and the wind force blasted me from behind. I was blasted by the wind in the Rim's direction. It was an explosion, strong enough to ruin and flatten this apartment to rubble. 

「Fort, Thrice」

I cast a protection spell thrice and reinforce using the newly learned magic to protect us. Unfortunately, it almost broke my mystical words, and Rim was injured but she's still conscious.

My ear, my ear didn't stop ringing! The explosion was too close to us but I must not panic and I have Lence! Yes, he's the only one who can talk with me in this condition!

Search Shal's presence, Lence!

"Don't worry, he was far from the building, so he's fine!"

Thank god.

"But I detected a strong fluctuation of mystical energy from a single person outside the building. He disappeared after the explosion happened."

Tch. Someone planned all of this, at first I was suspicious of Rim but she was also badly injured from this explosion. My guess is, there was someone who has been following and purposely baiting us into this trap. Did they know about me too? Whatever, at least we're saved.

3