Chapter 142 – On a bed of One’s own making
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scanning around one more time just to make sure, I sighed audibly as I realized I hadn’t overlooked anything in the tiny space.

The bed was bare, with just the frame. A frame that looked as though it was ready to collapse.

Beside it was the cloth that we had woven, along with the necessary tailoring equipment.

Tailoring equipment for what you might ask?

Why, for the mattress that I had to make and stuff with the piles of reeds,straw, and leaves that had been thoughtfully provided by the Academy.

Very thoughtful indeed.

Bal, I kicked at the corner of the bed, sending it creaking dangerously.

But I didn’t kick it because of the task of making the mattress.

I kicked it because there were two armor stands, right?

One of which I had outfitted with my uniform that I was planning on wearing for tomorrow?

Well, both were empty now.

And my uniform was buried under a mountain of clothes that were as filthy as the ones in the cell, with three tubs of water in a line against the wall.

One for washing the clothes, one for wringing the clothes, and the third for myself to weep tears into, I suppose.

Oh, and I also had only one uniform, unless I could find another in that pile.

Cursing out profusely, I got to work.

First, I decided on washing the clothes since I could sleep on a hard bed, but I couldn’t show up wearing filthy clothes tomorrow.

Well, I could… I suppose. It’s just that I didn’t want to go through the consequences that particular action would bring.

Shuddering, I gingerly touched my chest, which throbbed as I traced the scar from the wound that the man had inflicted, that was still healing.

Sorting out the clothes, I was delighted to find that there were two uniforms that fit me inside the pile.

Then, I counted and my face fell as I realized that I still had only two uniforms since the one I was wearing had additional ventilation on the front and back.

Oh, and it was also dark red now, which would be great on a battlefield, but not so much in this baling academy.

Muttering to myself as I worked, I quickly washed the clothes and hung them on the armor stand as best as I could.

Then, it was the time for the mattress to be made. Tailoring was an easy thing to do, as I just had to create a rectangular long sack which I would stuff with the reeds, straw, and leaves.

The problem was the reeds, straw, and leaves.

Because they were filthy and crawling with insects and bugs, amongst other unsavoury things like lice.

Grunting, I began the process of cleaning each piece painstakingly, but I had made little to no progress after an hour.

Throwing my hands up in frustration, I cautiously opened my door and shut it again as fast as I could.

Because the man was sitting on a chair in the clearing outside, raising a tankard to his lips while raising his eyebrows at me.

Heart palpitating, I shot the bolts shut, and then for good measure; I placed the chair against the door too, before wondering if I should place the bed and desk against it too.

Minutes passed without anything happening and I finally calmed down.

Sitting with my back to the door on the chair, I was deep in thought when I thought I heard knocking.

I ignored it the first time as a figment of my imagination.

But the second time had me tensing up.

Then a letter shot through the gap of the door at the bottom and in between my feet.

Jumping up, and heroically going into a battle ready position, I stared at the letter… as the letter stared back at me - Menacingly!

Or that’s how I felt it was. Until nothing happened for a long minute and I cautiously picked up the letter and read it.

In block letters, it was written;

“Student Faustus,

You will report to the kitchens in the morning 1 hour earlier than your scheduled timing for attendant training. Further instructions will be given at the kitchens.

Cordially,

Not yours.

Rylee Baker.”

Puzzled, I stared at the letter before looking at the door. Deciding against opening it, I scratched my head and then the name Rylee Baker floated and merged with the lady Chef’s face and I thought, “No... It can’t be.”

Banishing the thought, I turned to the pertinent point.

1 hour earlier than my scheduled timing.

Except what was my scheduled timing?

Shaking my head, I knew I wasn’t getting any sleep tonight. Or at least not enough.

But first, the baling mattress.

So, I worked on and on till the night had truly fallen and the moon was at its highest, and finally! It was done.

Throwing it on the bed frame tiredly, I took off my clothes and folded them neatly, before I crawled onto the bed and thought back to the day.

Starting with starvation eating away at me, to serving that warlike lady in white, to seeing Ares, Damon, and Celine!

Then to the repulsive breakfast that made my stomach churn as I thought about it.

The rest of the day was pretty fine though, apart from that moment when I saw Sia’s hands.

Thinking about it, I knew that Sia didn’t want me to protect her. I knew that she was more than capable of gritting her teeth and enduring pain. Much more pain than I could endure, for sure.

But still, my heart hurts and continues to hurt when I see her in pain. So call me selfish, but I will step in when I see her face twisted even slightly.

I hoped she would understand as I turned to my side, and idly pinched a louse between my fingers as I saw it, before squishing it flat.

Mouth set in a grim line, I wondered what the next day would bring.

And as I thought further, against my will, my eyelids closed and I fell into a deep sleep.

A sleep without dreams.

A sleep for the body.

A sleep for recovery.

For a new day at Yamal Academy.

No breaks are given for poor Faust xD.

I was checking the word count for this volume, and we're already at 70k words with at least another 20 chapters left in the volume. So there's that :P

Much love to you Horizonators,

As always; stay safe, stay happy, and enjooy the chapters!

Horizon out.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/FQHKb63tyW

1