Chapter 153 – Scented (Part 2)
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We waited the entire night, but Yamal Academy truly did drive in the lesson “Expect the unexpected” as no further attacks came.

Suspiciously, we stared at the darkness the entire time until dawn lit the sky. Then, we stared more suspiciously in the dawn, all the way until Sir Liam showed up.

As he innocently whistled at the corpses of the hounds scattered around, he spoke. “I see you’ve had a rough night. My, I wonder where these hounds came from. Terrible creatures, really.”

Silently, we glared at the man until he had the grace to look uncomfortable. Coughing, he said, “From now on, all your classes will be held here. Your choice whether you want to sit outside or to build a classroom.” Then looking at the corpses of the hounds, he remarked, “Of course, it’s unsure whether such creatures or worse will get through our valiant guards.”

Lips twitching, we stared at the man who shrugged as he finished saying cryptically, “You have 3 and a half months. I suggest you use it the best you can.”

Walking off the same way he came, merrily whistling the whole time; he left us confused and wondering what he had meant by the time limit.

And also, what classes?

Yes, the Academy had taught us how to eat bugs and insects, how to wash dishes, how to cook, how to weave, how to tailor, and how to hunt for ourselves. But teaching?

Shuddering, we wondered what torturous subjects we would be taught in the future.

Meanwhile, Sia was standing with furrowed brows as her mind worked away with a distracted expression on her face.

Stepping in, I spoke. “Alright everyone. Time to rest. I’ll take the watch again. When you wake up, there’ll be fresh food ready.”

Murmurs of appreciation rang out as the students shot grateful looks at me.

Smiling back, I gestured for them to hurry up, and they filed away through the still open doors of our sleeping quarters house.

Then, walking over to the corpses of the hounds, I began heaving them into a large pile which took me close to an hour to do.

Finding myself a flat rock, I placed it near the pile and sitting on it, I took out a sharp jagged stone, and dragging a corpse toward me; I began skinning it and cutting it into chunks of meat for future use.

After a while, Sia came and sat beside me before she whispered a few words and looked at me for confirmation.

Nodding along, I spoke. “What do you think is the most important part of what they’re teaching us?”

Sia thought before she answered, “Self-sufficiency.”

Shaking my head gently, I replied, “No. They’re teaching us survival. What’s the most important part of survival?”

Clenching her fist as she held it in front of her, Sia replied, “I think I understand now. That means… “

Patiently I waited for her to finish, which she did with steel in her voice, “That means that we’ll have to take a stand.”

Grinning, I reached out a bloody hand and paused before Sia grabbed the hand and clasped it fiercely.

Laughing, I said, “I’ll stand by you, Shield Girl.”

Snorting, Sia said, “You better, Immortal Boy!”

Saying so, we grinned again at each other before we fell silent as time passed while I took care of the corpses, and Sia thought of… well, everything.

A long time later, tired students came staggering out of the sleeping quarters house, and then happiness spread across their faces as they smelt the scent of freshly cooked meat.

As I handed over the food, I thought of what lay ahead.

It was going to be a bit difficult, and there was one thing I had not yet told Sia.

Waiting for her to come to a decision, I stood there for a short while before she came over and said with a firm face, “Let’s do it.”

Feigning ignorance, I asked as I smiled, “What are we going to do?”

Grimacing at me for a brief moment, Sia said, “We’re going to make our stand.”

Nodding, I waited as she tapped her fingers on the back of her palm.

Finally, I spoke as she looked at me with eyes that said “Spill it.”.

“Sia... You’ll have to get everyone on board for this.”

Frowning, Sia stood there before a smile crossed her face and she set off apace toward a groggy Apollo who stiffened up guiltily as he saw her coming.

Animated conversation followed, before Apollo nodded like a chicken and soon, his group was spreading through our clearing and talking to the rest of the students.

After Apollo gave a signal to Sia; she cleared her throat and pitched her voice to carry, saying, “Everyone gather up.”

After everyone was together and listening, she spoke again. “You know what’s going to happen?”

Most people shook their heads while a few looked on with brows furrowed, having an inkling of what was going to go down.

Elaborately, Sia explained everything that was on her mind and gasps sounded out, before absolute silence fell. The pin drop kind.

Softly, Sia broke it as she asked, “Who’s in this together?”

Stepping forward, I smiled as I said, “We are.”

Raising her voice, Sia asked, “and who are we?”

Silence greeted her words.

Softer, she spoke and yet everyone heard her words. “We’re no one right now.”

“The only chance to not get baling shafted, is to change that and become something… or someone.”

Glaring fiercely at the students, she spoke, “What do you think? Are we loose sand? Or are we something more?”

Silence fell before it was broken by a rippling roar as different students stepped forward.

“That’s right. We are more. Much more! What are we?” she roared out.

Behind her, I snickered, “The maidens.”

Carrying on, Sia spoke, “That’s right, we are the maidens.” and then she stopped, as pin drop silence fell; the roars silenced.

Turning to me, she shot me a look that could kill and I felt cold sweat run down my back.

But then a large roar sounded out, and the first year class of Yamal Academy cheered for the formation of the ‘Maidens’.

And I scented the winds of change blowing.

Much love to you Horizonators,

Stay Safe, Stay happy, and enjooy the chapters!

Horizon out.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/FQHKb63tyW

1