Chapter164 – Challenged (Part 7)
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Faustus:

As the Maidens fell to the ground, the enemy seemed to grow fiercer and fiercer, and the pressure mounted on us as we had to dodge blades from multiple directions as the brawl turned into a desperate defence on our side.

The most pressing issue was that we were fighting alone… All cohesion was lost as the enemy freely swam in between our destroyed ranks.

Then, I realized that the rain of blows had ceased and panting; I stood side by side with Marrok, whose hands shivered as he clenched his fists, with sweat running profusely down his face.

Looking around, I saw that we were surrounded.

Marana had fallen at some point… overwhelmed by the four iron ranks after a long, difficult struggle with no reprieve.

Sia stood panting, as she stared at Celine, who looked back with one arm dangling, and the other holding the dagger at the ready.

Of the maidens, only Urbano still stood… but he was held by two of the enemy as he struggled in between them.

Taking it all in, I felt my heart sink to the bottom of my feet as I stared at the smiling boy in front of us, and Ares, who looked back at me as his eyes twitched momentarily, before they stilled again.

“Surrender,” the boy called out as he turned around and smirked at Sia.

Grounding my teeth together at his act of showing an enemy his back, I nonetheless stayed still because I knew I wasn’t his match.

The boy had single-handedly taken on me and Marrok. Ares had only participated a token amount, something which I had noticed but couldn’t reconcile with the expression that he had on his face as he battled us.

Looking across at Sia, I waited for her to speak.

As she stared at me, I smiled as I wearily raised my sword and dagger, crossed against each other.

Grinning at me, and spitting out blood, Sia stood tall as she said, “We are Maidens… and we do not surrender.”

“Foolish,” the boy replied as he shook his head.

Then he flashed forward and Sia skidded backward as another mouthful of blood was spat out from her mouth.

Lowering his left hand that was still in a clenched fist, the boy looked at Sia, who raised a hand to her mouth and wiped away the blood as she stared back.

Bitterly, I smiled. I had ignited myself, but I could not bring myself to the brink of death and struggle with all of my will as I fought to stay alive. Not when it was obvious that my enemy just wanted to humiliate me.

The one thing that they didn’t know?

I could be humiliated. I could be made into a joke. I could be despised. I wouldn’t care.

But, you touch my reverse scale?

And a Drayke will ignite everything he has.

And you… have just...touched...my reverse scale.

Lowering the crossed weapons, I threw them to the ground, causing two thuds to sound out.

Hearing the sound, the boy turned around… the smirk still on his face as he said, “Surrendering? About tim-” and he trailed off as I stretched out my hands and walked toward Ares.

As reddish bronze tattoos flared into existence for the first time since I had advanced to Iron Rank, I paused in front of Ares as I said, “Nothing changes between us, whatever you choose. But that balakash is mine right now. Stand or move. Your choice.”

And then I moved ahead, brushing past Ares, who stood there with the slightest tremble running through his stiff shoulders.

Walking slowly, I reached out a hand, and the horn of valor appeared in my hands.

Raising it to my lips this time, I blew a deep note that sounded across the field.

Lowering it, I whispered out the words;

Ignite… my love.

And the chains of tattoos spread across every visible part of my body as they wrapped and coiled, and I raised my head and roared.

And I flashed forward toward the boy, whose eyes widened a fraction too late as my kick left afterimages and slammed into his side.

As the boy went skidding off to the side, I slowly lowered my outstretched leg and walking over to Sia; I wiped the remnant blood off her lips, and I smiled at her as she looked back at me.

Then, I turned and softly said, “Marrok. Aren’t you going to join us?”

Marrok looked at the two of us who stood there, before he bared his teeth and walked past Ares, who stood silently, and joined us.

Standing, we looked at all the remaining enemies, who met our gazes with expressions that were tinged with a hint of respect.

Then the boy walked toward us, and as I blinked, he was no longer there, but my hands had already moved in front of me, and I was thrown backward as his knee connected with them.

Without wasting a moment, the boy was on me, and I noticed he had sheathed the sword. The baling monster was going toe to toe with me, using his bare hands.

Too bad… that I am also a little monsterish myself.

The battlefield was silent, with only the sounds of fists as they thudded into flesh, and knuckles that cracked and bled.

Not a single grunt was heard from me or the boy as we savagely punched, kicked, and butted heads at each other.

Then, my hand was caught… then the other, and the boy moved in for a headbutt.

Only to be met by an even more ferocious headbutt from me, and he reeled backward as blood streamed from his skull.

Grinning with teeth that were stained red, I spat out the words, “You won’t catch me with that again… not with the sloppy way you just did.”

“Again?” the boy asked as he narrowed his eyes before he glanced at Marrok, who met his gaze without flinching this time.

Provocatively holding out a hand, I laughed as I forced out the last of my warforce that kept me alive from my heart and into my legs.

Sia, who saw my expression, instantly knew what I was doing, and she raised her hand to stop me, but with a step; I had flashed in front of the boy, and with a leap, I thundered a punch into his head. A punch that, despite his guard, broke through and knocked the boy a few paces backward.

As the boy knelt, clutching his head as more blood flowed down, I stood as I swayed, my heartbeat slowing down and beating erratically.

Spitting out a mouthful of blood, I advanced shakily as I approached the boy, who looked up at me from below.

Standing above him, I looked at him for a moment before I let out a sigh, and as I fell backward with the last of my endurance sapped away by my heart; I was caught by two arms that steadied me.

Opening my mouth with great difficulty, I slowly said, “We are the Maidens. And we will not surrender. Ever.”

Rising and staring at me, the boy spat out once again, “Foolish.”

Smiling, I struggled to speak, but my vision darkened and the last thing I heard was the boy saying, “But you have earned a little of my respect, and the right to know my name. Cahir Ironblade greets yo-”

And then everything truly went black.

Much love to you Horizonators!

Stay safe, Stay Happy, and binge the chapters!

Horizon out.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/FQHKb63tyW

UPDATE: NEXT CHAPTER RELEASES AT 02:30 PM EST

1