Part 5
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 5

“To think the lord would be so shameless...” A quiet voice says.

“Shh! What are you saying? Do you wish to be banished from this household?” A stern voice says.

“But...”

“What she says is what we are all thinking,” An arrogant voice says with a snort.

“That does not mean we should speak it out loud. You wish to keep your job, yes?”

“I was actually pondering transferring houses, actually. Word will eventually get out. And once it does...”

“But what of the lady? The lord wouldn’t dare to have her endure such a tragic indignity. He should be by her side while she recovers! Not that intruder!” The quiet voice becomes a bit heated in her passion.

“You are too naïve, girl. The lord can do whatever he pleases. The trouble comes in the fact that he is being so careless. To think he would go through all this trouble for some plain commonly flower. The sooner the girl gives birth to her bastard child, the sooner she can leave and everything can go back to normal.”

“Hush, the both of you! You will wake the young miss!” The stern voice says, sounding a bit further away.

The warning comes too late. Young Livia was already wide awake. She keeps her eyes close and pretends to let out a soft snore to make sure her nannies knew that she was in fact still asleep. When the voices continue without pause, she grins in triumph to herself and dares to peek open her eyes to peer at her nannies standing by the flickering fire in her room.

“Oh, come off your high horse. Do not act as if you aren’t as interested as us,” The arrogant voice says, chuckling mockingly.

Livia instantly recognizes her as the made that sneaks her candy and lets her stay up late. Livia did not like her much, because the candy nanny always asked her a bunch of questions. Livia didn’t really understand them, so for the most part just took the candy and ignored her in favor of her toys.

“What the ever happen between the lord and lady is no business of ours.”

That was the old, grumpy nanny. Livia actually knew her name, for she had been her nanny for as long as she could remember, but she always pretended not to because the old nanny wasn’t very nice.

“Nonsense. Of course, it is. This is our home as well,” Candy nanny says, scoffing.

“This is the household that you work for. The housing only comes after the fact,” Old nanny says sternly.

“Poor Lady Lynette. To think that she would lose the lord's male heir,” The quiet voice says.

Livia perks up a bit. The young nanny was always nice to her. Even when she would kick and bite at her when she refused to let her see her mother. The young nanny also always sat down and actually played with her, unlike the other nannies.

“And don’t you think the timing is strange?” The candy nanny says slyly, leaning towards the young nanny.

Young nanny stares at her in confusion, “What do you mean?”

“Just as the lord mistress appears, fat with a child ready to be born, our lady loses the heir days later. It is rather suspicious, isn’t it?”

“What nonsense are you spouting now?” The old nanny hisses, smacking candy nanny upside the head.

“It isn’t nonsense!” Candy nanny says, stepping out of hitting range, “Everyone thinks so. Even the lady herself! I heard it. Just yesterday, I was walking by the lord's hall when I heard furious shouting coming from his private room.”

“Hush! You hush this instant,” Old nanny snaps.

“...Is the white flower a witch?” Young nanny says in a stunned whisper.

Old nanny turns on her, “Do not speak of such fiendish things in this household! You will be punished severely if the lord even hears a rumor that you said as much!”

Candy nanny laughs and Livia curls up further under her covers when the sound rings in her ears, unnerved.

“Old nanny, we are the only ones here. There is no need to mince words.”

“You are new. The both of you,” The old nanny says, shaking her head, “If you are so quick to believe all that you have heard, then you should know of other words whispered. Those of the lord of this house, and the family he has been born of.”

Young nanny hugs herself, shivering, “W-what are you saying? Such things cannot be true. They are just stories parents tell their children to frighten them.”

“The naïve girl is right,” Candy nanny says confidently, “Such things are nothing but false tales filled with untruths about the old histories of this kingdom. To make it more interesting than it actually is. Honestly, old nanny, to think you would believe in such things! You know as well as anyone what our true history actually is,” Candy nanny says mockingly.

The old nanny says nothing.

Livia shuffles a bit to try to get a glimpse of her old, wrinkled face, expecting to see her typical unamused look but it is darkened by the shadows of the room.

Her nannies fall quiet after that. Eventually, they leave her room. Her young nanny makes sure to put out the fire before moving close to Livia. She squeezes her eyes shut, but all the young nanny does is pull the covers further up her chin and tuck them under her before she leaves the room entirely.

Livia sighs once the door shut behind her and turns to stare up at her ceiling, wide awake.

As usual, she really didn’t understand what her nannies were talking about, but at least she learned a few new words. If she says them to her mother or father, would they praise her? Surely, they would, right?


 

It was that woman.

Lynette was sure of it.

But what could she do?

Her son was dead. Her only hope. Her everything. Gone.

When he left her body, he took with him her ability to have children. She would never be with child ever again. Lynette would not get another chance to provide a proper male heir to her husband. To the Valentine Household.

Her only use.

Gone. It was all gone.

What was she to do now?

Lynette did not react when her mother sat by her bedside, staring at nothing. Feeling nothing.

“My dear,” Lady Giselle intones with a grave voice, taking her daughter's frail thin hand in her own.

“All is not lost, my Lynette,” Lady Giselle says and leans forward to turn her daughter's chin to her, “You still have your daughter. Your Livia is still alive and well, my dear.”

Lynette blinks and tears fall from her eyes. She does not wipe them away, her rose eyes faint and empty. Her mother’s words barely managed to penetrate through the dark fog that has become her mind.

“My daughter,” Lynette says emptily.

What use did a daughter have to her? Livia will only be given away the moment she came of age. Far away from her mother's reach, to a man who will desire the same thing her husband wished of her.

A daughter was useless.

Lynette’s baby was gone.

Her son...her son.

That white witch had done something. She must have.

Why hadn’t she been satisfied with taking Lynette’s husband? Why couldn’t that have been enough?

Her son...her son.

Lady Giselle looks upon her youngest with pale blue eyes likened to a light storm in the middle of summer.

“Something must be done,” she says to her daughter.

“She took my son, mother,” Lynette whispers, “She took him.”

“Oh, my poor little girl,” Lady Giselle says, hanging sadness over her face. She draws Lynette close to her, and her daughters cling to her shoulders as if she was on the verge of drowning.

“Do not worry, my dear,” Lady Giselle says, running her hands through her daughter's hair, “Your mother will set things right.”

“She took him,” Lynette murmurs in reply, her eyes unseeing, “She took him.”

                                             ____________________________________

“Daddy, where is mummy?” Livia asks as she crawls onto the lap of her father, ignoring her old nanny’s loud protest.

“My lord, I am terribly sorry! Miss Livia, please, come here. You must not disturb your father,” Old nanny says, beckoning the young miss towards her.

Livia ignores her in favor of staring at the other person occupying the table in the room.

“Oh, you're still here,” She says to the intruder and drops her eyes to her belly, “And you are still fat.”

“Miss Livia!” The old nanny cries, stepping tentatively forward with her arms raised to take back the young miss.

Livia presses herself closer to her father, ignoring how stiff his body was in favor of making herself more comfortable on his lap. She notices a crystal glass with red juice inside of it and makes a grab for it, suddenly thirsty.

She pouts when her father pulls it out of her reach and turns her head so he can see it better.

“Daddy, I’m thirsty,” she tells him.

“You cannot drink this,” Father says coldly.

“What can I drink?” Livia asks.

“Maybe some apple juice?” The intruder suggests, giggling.

Livia shakes her head frantically, her little twin tails smacking against her round face when she does.

“I’m can’t! I’m allergek!” She protests, glaring at the stupid intruder.

I can’t. And it is Allergic,” Her father corrects primly.

“Alerrgic?” Livia tries to parrot, frowning.

“Close enough,” Her father grunts, lifting the glass of red juice to his lips.

The intruder giggles again and says, “Well, I think it would be wonderful if Miss Livia was to join us for dinner. Don’t you think so as well, lord?”

Livia glares at the intruder. Why was she here? Father never had dinner with her mother and her. He was always too busy. Her nanny’s and mother always said so. But the intruder was having dinner with him. If she could, then so could Livia! That was why she had come inside in the first place! She did not need the fat lady to talk the obvious!

“...Bring out a plate for Livia,” Her father says after he and the intruder stare at each other for too long.

The intruder covers her small smile with a glass of apple juice, looking pleased.

Livia doesn’t really care. She was just happy that she could eat with her father. But it was a bit spoiled by the intruder. Her mother should be here instead.

When she tries to tell her father this, his relaxed expression becomes pinched.

Livia mirrors it perfectly, causing the intruder to laugh.


 

 Lately, Livia has been spending a lot of time with her father.

Like she was now.

His cool hand easily enveloped hers much smaller one with ease as she walks beside him in the private greenhouse of her mother's. Unlike all the times before was she invited herself into the place her father had happened to occupy, she had been called forth.

It was the first time ever, Livia was sure!

She had been so excited, and made sure to wear her best dress and her favorite ribbons!

But, when she skipped into the greenhouse, her father had not been waiting for her alone. The intruder stood close beside him, her arm in his while the other patted at her fat stomach.

Livia had scowled and glared at the sight of her, turning to stone in the doorway.

Only after being coaxed by her father did, she fall into step beside them.

They were talking above her head while she admired all the pretty flowers her mother had grown. She even recalled some of their names, especially the white and purple ones, which were her favorite! Her mother said that they were icky and could make a person sick, which Livia thought was cool.

Spiders could also make a person sick.

As well as certain fruits.

And animals.

Livia knew because her mother always told her as such. She points at the flower and tells her daddy this proudly.

Her father's face closes off when she does. Even the intruder's never-ending smile wanes a bit.

“Um,” The intruder says.

“You should not say ‘um’!” Livia says to her, “Only common people who cannot talk does!” She says, repeating the exact words of the old nanny.

“Oh, um, uh, well,” The intruders say, looking increasingly embarrassed.

“If old nanny was here, she would have smacked your hand,” Livia says, pointing.

“What!?” The intruder says in shock, “She hits you?”

Her father releases her hand to push down her accusing finger, “If your nanny was here, she would also tell you it is rude to point.” He tells her sternly.

Livia flushes and pouts.

“I want to see my favorite flowers, daddy!” She says, changing the subject to tug on his hands, “Let’s go. I remember.”

Why wasn’t her mother here? She wished she was. Livia missed her. She hadn’t seen her in a long, long time. All she saw now was her nannies, her father, and the intruder. She wasn’t sure if she was really happy about it. But she was still pleased to be with her father.

As she tugged her daddy forward, leading, she turns down a path and blinks, surprised to see the person in front of her. But Livia is quick to recover. She drops her father's hand in favor of raising her arms up and running straight into the plump body of the one who stands in front of her.

“Granny! Granny!” She shouts in excitement.

Lady Giselle shines a dull smile upon her and picks her up with surprisingly strong arms.

“Oh my, if it isn’t my sweet little deer. Look how much you have grown, Livia! You have become so big!” Her granny praises her in a light voice, hefting the young miss up on her round hip.

Livia preens at the praises and wraps her arms tighter around her grandmother.

“Ah, I see, you came here with your father? What a surprise,” Lady Giselle says and her voice is strange. But Livia doesn’t bother to look up to see why. She just lays her head on her granny's shoulder and yawns.

“Lord Luvien, it has been a while,” Lady Giselle says, falling into an elegant curtsy even with a toddler on her hip.

“Countess,” Her father greets plainly.

“How does your wife fare, lord?” Lady Giselle asks, not acknowledging the intruder. Livia smiles into her shoulder, nuzzling. The countess pats her back, soothing her.

“She is still recovering,” Her father answers.

“Have you visited to see for yourself, or is this second-hand knowledge from one of your many observers?” Lady Giselle asks frigidly.

“Granny, what is an obsurvur?” Livia perks up, curious.

“A spy,” Lady Giselle answers her instantly.

“A spy,” Livia echoes, even more curious.

“Lord?” Lady Giselle presses for an answer, turning her attention back to her father. Livia follows her gaze even as another yawn splits her face.

“I have visited Lynette, countess,” Father says steadily.

“And how was she? Did she respond to you?” Lady Giselle asks readily, stepping forward, “I have been here for five days, and I have barely gotten my daughter to speak to me once. She has become lost in her own mind. Now, more than ever, she needs the support of her husband and lord.”

Livia stares between her grandmother and father, her brows furrow.

Was her mother still sick with tears?

“The last I had visited, she seemed well enough,” Father says.

“Did mummy cry again?” Livia asks, and her eyes fall to the intruder when she flinches. She also looked sick. Her face was almost as pale and drawn as her mother's.

“Hush, sweetie. The adults are talking,” Lady Giselle admonishes her lightly, and Livia instantly closes her mouth and tucks her head under her grandmother's chin, doing as she is told without protest. She still keeps an eye on the proceedings though. Like a spy!

“Well, enough,” Lady Giselle echoes the words blandly. Her pale eyes fall to the intruder, “And this girl? Why does a common pregnant welp stand so close to the Lord of Valentine estate, son-in-law? What reason does she have to be here, in my Lynette personal greenhouse, beside her husband and only child?”

Before father can say anything, Lady Giselle turns her body so it fully faces the intruder.

Livia wonders why the intruder keeps playing with her fingers? Why was she only looking at the floor and not at anyone else? Livia’s mother never would look at the floor! She wanted to say something about it. To point out the intruder's bad manners but her grandmother told her not to interrupt.

She settles for just glaring with a pout.

“My lady,” The intruder starts to say, raising her head, but that is as far as she gets.

“You do not speak unless you have been acknowledged, girl,” Lady Giselle suddenly snarls poisonously, causing Livia to startle in her arms. She stares up at her normally calm and placid grandmother with round, spooked eyes.

She was angry.

Her grandmother was never angry.

“Countess,” Her father says in warning, his face twisting in familiar fury.

“Lord Luvien, I think this charade has gone on long enough,” Lady Giselle states calmly, her face returned to its usual state, “As gracious as it was of you to take in this welp you had once known back in your youth, I think her needs can be easily met outside of the main house. There is no need for her presence to remain here.”

“Countess, as charitable as your suggestion is, I have no reason to take heed of it,” Father hisses icily, “Now, I will ask that you remove yourself from my presence while I am still of the mind to recall that you are in fact, still my mother-in-law.”

Livia stares at her father.

...who was this person before her?

He was scary. Really scary.

He couldn’t be her daddy. Her daddy never looked like that. Even when her mother was screaming at him. He was calm, just like her grandmother. But then, her grandmother had also been angry.

Why?

Because of the intruder?

She shivers and lowers her eyes. She suddenly did not wish to spy further.

Livia buries her head into her grandmother's chest and tries to ignore the rest of the conversation. But it goes on and on, and soon she has to raise up her hands to cover her ears to block out the loud words.

When will it be over?

This wasn’t like when her mother and father would scream at each other.

This was somehow different.

Colder.

She wanted her mother.

She wanted her mother now.

But the adults continue to argue and no one notices the small toddler trembling and crying silently to herself until her tears have dried and she had fallen into an exhausted sleep.

 

2