Kendall – Chapter 17: That’s a rather good impression.
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bell rang at the end of an all too quiet shop class. I wasn't sure if it was because this project was done, or because Robbie wasn't there, but it was as boring as any other class now.

I packed up my stuff and shuffled my way out towards the door. I was hoping I'd get out before the crowd, but it was already packed by the time I walked out to the front doors. I leaned against the wall and waited for them to clear up. I had no choice but to suffer through walking in all that during school, but no way in hell was I going to if I didn't need to.

Once things settled down, I pushed myself off and walked through the doors. Only to find Sophie and a tall guy standing next to her. Other people might have considered him 'good looking' with blonde hair and a bit of muscle.

That to me though meant stay the fuck away. 

I locked eyes with Sophie and wished I could pay her back, but Rigby's was far more important, and I didn't want anything to do with the guy. Before I even made it past them, Sophie rushed up to me.

"Why the fuck did you go and see Robbie," she said, pushing me back, "You still haven't had enough?"

I got back up in her face.

"Don't fucking push me."

The guy got in between Sophie and me to pull her away. I was being stupid and didn't keep an eye on him, but I backed up real fast.

"You're already on thin ice," the guy said to Sophie, "Do you want me to take you out of your classes?"

She scrunched her forehead, "No but she's still trying to bully him."

I leaned over to look at her. "I've been trying to make it up to him even before you got that cheap shot in."

"Yeah right," Sophie said.

"Sophie that's enough," the guy commanded before turning around to me.

"I'm Sophie's father. I was told what happened and I wanted to apologize." He motioned at Sophie, who looked me dead in the eyes.

"I'm sorry," she said with as much sarcasm packed into her voice as possible.

"Sophie." He nudged her.

"Fine. I'm sorry about putting you in the hospital after what you did to Robbie."

He rubbed his face. "Just go sit in the car. We'll talk later."

She walked off and my full attention was now on her father as I kept a safe distance. I had no idea what could happen, or what he was capable of, but he looked like he could do something if he wanted. Even if we were in front of the school.

"I'm sorry about everything she's put you through. I also wanted to pay for any medical bills. Are your parents here?"

"No," I said as I looked around. Openings on the left and right sides. I could also back up into the school. The only problem was my legs were in no shape to run, so screw this. I wasn't taking that chance. "I need to go." I walked by him while making sure there was enough space between us.

"Wait, hold on," he said as I looked behind at him and kept backing up as he held out a card. "Just give this to your parents and have them call me at least."

Studying him, I crept up and grabbed the card before turning and speed walking towards the bus. That was already way too long being near someone like that.

I stuffed the card in my pocket for later and sat down in my seat. Emma and Mom would appreciate everything being paid for at least.

I slid down and took out my phone to text Emma.

 

To Emma:

3:52: Im on the bus. We still good for rigbys?

 

There wasn't a thing on this planet that would make us not go tonight. I started to even move my head side to side out of pure excitement.

That's when I looked up and saw that shy girl from Robbie's table walk onto the bus. As soon as she went by me, I stood up and followed her to her seat. She sat in an empty seat next to the window, so I slid in and sat on the edge.

"Hey."

I barely even managed to say that before she pressed herself against the window and glared at me like a scared animal.

"Go sit somewhere else…" she said in a voice so quiet I could barely make it out.

I raised my hands to try and show her I wasn't gonna do anything.

"I know you're the one that's dealing with someone bullying you. I'm not going to hurt you, alright?" I said as she took out her phone and started typing away. She didn't respond though. "You don't have to say anything. Just listen. I know I'm a massive asshole. Okay?" She looked up from her phone. "I'm not saying I haven't been, but I need to make it up to Robbie. I waited five hours in the waiting room just to be able to talk to him for a couple minutes, but that didn't work. I even tried to fix up Robbie's chair for him and keep his backpack safe. Nothing's worked or it's just blown back in my face."

I was getting uncomfortable, so I scooted fully onto the seat. As soon as I made a move, she reached for her belt and held up a small bottle at me.

"What's that?" I asked as I stared at it.

"Pepper spray."

Instantly I pushed myself back where I was sitting. "What the hell are you doing with that stuff?"

"Get away from me." She held the bottle out towards me, which made me lean back.

"I am. See? I'm away from you. Just- Why are you having trouble with people if you have something like that?"

"I heard about some of the stuff you did to Robbie."

"So, what? It's just for me?"

She nodded her head.

Holy fuck. I knew I pushed things, but it honestly didn't feel like what I did was that different from what other people would do. Seriously, who the hell gets pepper spray for someone that doesn't mess with them, but not use it for the people picking on her?

I knew what I did was bad, I guess but maybe what I did to Robbie really was on a whole other level for people…

At least that'd mean whoever this person was is probably going to be easy to deal with.

"Whatever. I meant what I said before. Just point me to your bully and I promise I'll get them to leave you alone."

She stared at me. Not saying a word, but also not lowering the spray.

"I'm getting really tired of this. Why the hell are you people making it so hard for me to do anything to make it up to him? Fine. If you're going to be like that, then I'm not gonna leave you alone until you tell me who's bothering you."

I looked away so she didn't get any bright ideas with that spray and scooted back onto the seat. She flinched again, but thankfully didn't use the spray. Never in my life did I imagine I'd have to be aggressive just to get someone to rat out their bully. It was like she was scared of telling anyone about…

Oh…

They probably did the whole 'tell anyone and you'll pay' thing.

Moving on.

"Am I bigger than them?" I asked. To which she just nodded. "So I could kick their ass. Right?" Another nod. "Then you'll let me rough them up a bit for you?"

"Don't."

I was seriously ready to throw this girl out of this moving bus.

"Let me guess. She said if you told anyone that they'd make it worse. Right?"

She narrowed her eyes, "How'd you know that?"

"Because I did the same thing to Robbie. And guess what? It's a bluff. I was already trying to make things worse for him the entire time."

It wasn't exactly a bluff, buuut I was still making things worse, so I guess it really didn't matter if Robbie told anyone or not.

"Whoever told you that just said it so you'd be too scared to tell someone, but it's still going to get worse anyway. Now if I wanted to keep going after Robbie, then do you think I'd have told you something like that?"

Finally she lowered the spray. Only by like a fucking inch, but hey, that's progress at least.

"You wouldn't. But why would you want to help?"

"I'm not going over that for the hundredth time. Maybe later because I'm just done with talking about it. But look. Robbie's your friend, yes?" She nodded. "And he'll be happy that you're not being bullied. Right?" Again, she nodded. "So can I please not have to jump through rings of fire just to help?"

This pepper spray happy girl lowered it completely, but her guard was still up.

"Malisa," she said.

Finally. This took waaay too much work to find out.

"I don't know who that is. What does she look like?"

"She's a Sophomore. Bit taller than me. And with really red hair almost as long as yours."

"Alright. Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for her then." She didn't say anything, but she still stared at me. "You want me to move, don't you?"

"Yes," she said in the first non-wimpy tone since I started talking to her.

"Can I at least get your name first?"

"Holly. Now go away."

"Sure, whatever." I quickly moved back up to my seat to sit in silence for the rest of the ride home.

Malisa. If she was only a bit taller than Holly, then maybe she'd be Sophie's height? As much as I hated her guts, Sophie did know how to fight. I doubt Malisa would be on the same level as her. And even then I could kick Sophie's ass if I wanted. I just had to make sure Emma and Mom didn't find out. And if they did? I was bravely defending a small girl from getting bullied! But I was almost positive they would not only still be mad, but also that they wouldn't believe me...

Well, I'd figure something out.

The rest of the ride home was quiet, and I ended up getting off before Holly.

My walk home was also pretty quiet, but this time I could get hyped about dinner!

 

---

Hypnotized by the amazing woodwork when we first went there. 

---

 

Even just thinking about it gave me a hop in my step.

 

---

Sitting in the car. Going to Rigby's from the court house.

---

 

But right away, those kinds of thoughts came up. No no no. This wasn't gonna get ruined, so I sped up my pace at the cost of horrible soreness. That soreness did keep my mind in check though, which was perfect.

I made it home to see no one was back yet. Guess that meant Mom was working late tonight. That was fine by me! I took out my key and it took a few times to get the key in the hole, but when I unlocked it I shuffled up to the arm of the couch, turned around, and fell backwards.

With a big yawn I stretched out and closed my eyes. I didn't actually fall asleep, but I laid there until the door opened up again. I looked to see Emma come through the door.

"Hey there," Emma said as she plopped down on the free spot of the couch at my feet.

"Heeeey. How're you?" 

"Tired. Got a lot of work done though. We're gonna be renovating a store the client bought. Not the most intensive work, but it'll last for a good while until we get more work." She undid her shoes and tossed them across the floor. "You still up for going tonight? I'll be ready once I rest a bit."

"Of course I'm ready." I sat up and made it halfway before I drifted sideways and fell off the couch. Emma was busy laughing her ass off as I held up my hand and gave her a thumbs up.

"Do you need help to get up?" she asked.

"I'm good right here."

"Alright," she said as she got up and walked off somewhere in the kitchen.

Well, if Emma was going to be a bit. I may as well look up more about anima like Mr. Roland told me to. I took out my phone and typed in 'What are anima?'

'Anima are manifestations of the subconscious. They are able to exhibit a large amount of control over both the mind and body with little practice required. Due to their degree of control, they can help with one's emotional state a great deal. Including but not limited to anything from depression and anxiety to long standing trauma. As such, they can offer a vast amount of support to those that need it.'

 

See this? This is why I need you, Esmer.

...

Esmer.

Esmer Esmer Esmer Esmer Esmer Esmer Esmer Esmer.

'I'll help us as much as I can.'

Good.

 

I kept reading.

 

'Anima can be an amazing tool to help find oneself and overcome problems, but they are also highly emotional entities that focus on their person's true desires above all else. As a result, they often care little for morals and the law. This contributed to anima gaining a dark history of pushing their person who otherwise would obey the law to break it out of an emotional or personal drive.'

 

---

Esmer telling me, "Because I work off of what you want."

---

 

Huh, so I guess you were serious about that.

'Of course I was.'

So when you stopped me from beating up Robbie?

'I told you. You didn't want to go that far.'

I guess that's good to know that I'm not a complete asshole.

'But you're still an asshole. Now look up what this dark history is. It might actually be important to know.'

First I wanna see what this power stuff is about.

 

I typed in 'Anima powers' next.

 

'Anima can grant small mental powers to those that achieve a strong level of control over their own emotions and sense of self. This is usually represented by how tightly connected a person is with their anima. The powers that anima grant are based on obsession and are always mental abilities. One such example is a merchant that is obsessed with quality might gain a sixth sense about knowing what the highest quality produce is in a pile. However, it commonly takes many years for people to reach the point required to gain one.'

 

Huh, so that's what that was all about. I thought he was talking things like flying or some crap like that. At least I know I wasn't completely living under a rock.

'No, but you still live under a rock. Now look up what exactly they did to make them illegal. That might help us figure out how to help Robbie.'

 

I typed in 'Anima dark history' and article after article popped up from years back.

 

'Woman with anima goes on mass shooting.'

'Heavy concerns rise over soaring crime rate amongst those with anima.'

'Suspect in robbery of local grocery store turned deadly confirmed to have an anima.'

'Laws passed to heavily regulate anima acquisition.'

'Man pleads his anima made him rape his-'

 

I tossed my phone to the side and stared up at the ceiling.

 

---

Held down on my bed.

---

 

I rubbed my face and tried to clear my mind. Fuck this, I didn't watch the news so I could avoid this kinda crap. I grabbed my phone and typed in 'Good stories about anima' and more stories came up. Ones that were a lot more recent, and even from this week.

 

'My anima has been the only one to support me through my depression.'

'Top 5 reasons why anima can turn your life around.'

'I became a better person because of my anima.'

'Studies show anima can make the recovery process for trauma easier.'

 

Now this was much more like it! I couldn't imagine Esmer making me do any of that messed up stuff. Just thinking about what they did sent shivers up my back.

 

---

Waking up Robbie's anima.

Robbie fucking hates me.

---

 

Naaah, no way. Robbie might hate my guts, but he's not that kind of person. Besides, even if he was, then he probably would have done something way sooner.

'You don't know that.'

He might be the one person outside my family that I do know, so I have a pretty good idea of what he's like.

'That doesn't mean you actually know him.'

 

That's a rather good impression of me.

 

A familiar voice pulled my attention to the giant wooden doll that sat cross legged on the couch. A huge smile popped up and I stumbled to my feet and rushed Esmer as fast as my crippled body could to give her a bear hug. At least I wanted to, but I only ended up falling face first onto the couch. I didn't even care she was laughing at me for that.

 

I'm afraid I'm still not physical, but I'm happy to return.

 

I twisted myself around to see Esmer standing in front of me.

 

You’re back!

 

It would seem I am.

 

I thought for a bit you were actually gone for good...Where'd you go back there?

 

It was as Mr. Roland said.

I was sleeping. 

But I'm still aware of everything that went on. 

I must say I'm impressed.

I expected you to come up with a wide range of brain dead ideas for Robbie's friends.

But going after the bully of one of them?

It surprised even myself.  

So much so that I'm actually proud of you.

I got comfy in the chair and stared up at the darkened ceiling. She just said she was proud of me! I sat there and let those words burn into my mind.   

 

Thank you. But please don’t leave me like that again. Whatever you do, promise me that.

 

Either I was tired or losing it or whatever, but it was like I could see her better. Not like actually see her, but I could picture her more clearly.

 

For that you just need to avoid triggers.

I know it was unavoidable once you went to see Robbie.

However, you must know there may be situations where that simply can’t be helped. 

But I will do what I can to stay awake.

I promise.

 

I sat there in silence and just stared at her with this big dumb smile on my face. There was something I had to ask her though.

 

You're still using 'I' and 'you.' Are you still pissed at me or something?

 

I will admit there are still all kinds of feelings about that.

It's going to take some more work to remove what's left.

But that episode did let me get out a good chunk of what I repressed.

And you showing you'd actually listen to me helped a lot as well.

Then I'm going to do whatever I can to help us. Just tell me what I can do.

 

That's very appreciated.

I'll let you know if I think of something.

 

Esmer sat down on the seat of the couch to just enjoy the moment together until Emma walked around the corner.

"You good?" she asked.

I did my best to pick myself up, but I had about as much luck as this morning, so I waved my arms in the air. "Heeeelp."

"Sure thing." She grabbed my hands and pulled me up. "You ready to go?"

"Yup."

We walked out the door and got in the car and got ready to go to one of the best places in the entire world. Rigby's!

0