Kendall – Chapter 45: It’s good to see you’re safe.
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NOTE: There isn't going to be a ton in this chapter, because it's a much needed set up for the next three chapters. In exchange, we're working hard to make those next few chapters noticeably higher quality than what you guys have seen from us thus far.

Among that, we're going to be taking a small one week break after we post chapter 48 for the same reason as last time. This story is really hard on us mentally and emotionally. More so this part of the story than last time, but we'll make sure it'll be a good stopping point at the end of 48.


 

A pounding at the door startled me awake. "Hey Kendall. IIII got news for youuuu." followed by laughter.

 

+++

And there she is.

+++

 

I dragged myself out of bed, put my foot behind the door to stop it if I needed to, and cracked it open. "What do you want?"

"Youuuu are- best sister. Ever."

 

 

At least she's a happy drunk tonight.

 

"You promised you wouldn't drink too much."

"I only had like...seven. Seven?" more drunken laughter. "Whoops. But I got important news to celebrate. My friend's in town and we're gonna have a very. Very best-" She broke down into laughing. "Very best day with him tomorrow. and it's going to be awesome and he's going to be there and I'll be there and…" She trailed off.

"Tell me later. I'm tired." I closed the door and laid back down.

"He's a great person. You'd love him." She went on through the door. "He's safe and he doesn't look anything like you know who. I know you'd like him. And I know he'll like me. And-"

 

I took my pillow and covered my ears until I fell back asleep.

 

###

 

I woke up the next morning and crawled out of bed. Walking to my door, I opened it, walked out and found Emma asleep and sitting against the wall. Complete with a bottle in her hand.

 

At least she's smiling.

 

Groaning, I walked back into my room, grabbed my blanket and went to put it on her as I walked to the kitchen to make myself breakfast.

 

I don't do any of that shit. I don't see why she has to.

 

+++

No you don't, you only try to hurt yourself to distract yourself from bad thoughts.

And let's not forget those marks on your thighs.

+++

 

Everyone has stuff they do that they shouldn't.

Try not to judge her too much.

 

Doesn't change the fact that Emma always drinks too much when she starts. I know she doesn't get abusive, and yeah I know I do bad stuff too, but still. Emma's way too good to be doing stuff like getting drunk.

 

I made breakfast real quick, and went to my room when it was still dark out. I wasn't going back to bed, so Emma could keep it until she woke up.

Today wasn't anything special. I stayed in my room until I heard a knock at the door. Opening it, I saw Emma standing there with my blanket. "Hey. Thanks for the blanket."

"Yeah." I grabbed it and threw it on my bed.

"And sorry about drinking more than I said I would."

"Whatever. It's fine."

"No it's not. I made a promise and I broke it. I didn't realize I drank that much, and I'm sorry."

 

She's serious about being sorry.

 

+++

She's just going to get drunk again later on.

+++

 

I gave her a big hug. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," she returned the hug, "Just a little nervous and happy that I get to see one of my best friends again. So I just wanted to unwind with a drink and let that sink in. I didn't even realize how much I drank until I knocked on your door."

I let go of her and stepped back. "Just don't over do it please. You know how I feel about people getting drunk around me…"

"I know, and I'm sorry. I won't drink near you anymore."

 

+++

Not the first time we heard that.

+++

 

"Alright…"

With a flash of a soft smile, "Going to go get a drink of water and work to get rid of this hangover." She walked off and I went back into my room for the rest of the day to draw random projects throughout the day. All the way up until it got dark out.

 

It feels like it's been a long since we've done nothing but work all day.

 

Yeah. It's not as fun as hanging out with Holly though.

 

You can spend more time with her later.

 

I put down my pencil, got up and immediately fell onto bed to go to sleep.

 

After we finish this thing with Robbie.

 

My eyes closed and I laid there until I finally fell asleep again.

 

###

 

As always, I woke up in the middle of the night.

 

Should have figured none of this would help me sleep.

 

As to be expected.

Get out of bed and get ready for school.

 

I went to sit out on the living room couch to think about what I was going to do and say.

 

You need to be gentle with this.

You can't just force this like we tend to.

 

+++

I'm just looking forward to Robbie kicking your ass.

+++

 

Do you think Robbie's going to try and actually fight me?

 

Tarmon broke out into a laugh as Esmer sat on my lap.

 

We pissed Robbie off a lot.

You heard what he said at Holly's house.

Even with Sophie and Holly telling him, he doesn't believe it.

And after everything we did to him.

…I'm afraid to say that he'll try and get serious.

 

What do you mean by serious?

He will likely pick a fight.

+++

And he wouldn't fight us in a fair fight. He'd probably use a weapon of some kind.

+++

 

Then I'll need to be careful, but I don't think he can do much of anything as long as I'm expecting it.

 

Keep an eye on him throughout the day so we'd know if he tries anything.

 

Will do.

 

Mom and Emma walked down the stairs and I said hi to them, but kept sitting there.

 

Aside from that.

Sophie seemed pretty upset we were at Holly's house.

 

Or she was just surprised. Why would she get pissed at me for something like spending time with Holly? I think it was just a shock to her, and I'm sure she'd still understand that I'm not trying to hurt Holly either.

 

All we can do is wait and see if that's the case.

 

"Food's ready," Mom said. I got up and ate quickly without saying much, and ignored what they were talking about.

"You okay?" Emma asked.

"Yeah. I'm just thinking about some stuff. It's fine."

 

We need to pay for Robbie's food.

 

"Hey, is it okay if I get some extra money for lunch? I want to buy a friend something as a gift."

"Sure," Mom said as she took out a five and handed it to me.

They knew not to push it if I wasn't feeling like this. When my food was done, I got my books together for school

"Have fun," Emma said as I walked out the door.

"I'll try."

I walked down to my stop and waited for the bus.

 

You two have been quiet. Is everything okay?

 

There's nothing to say right now.

Today is likely the day everything works out, or falls apart.

Enjoy the silence while we can

 

That was sage-like advice to enjoy the silence, and I took it. Neither of us said anything as the bus pulled up. I got on and immediately went to sit next to Holly.

"Hey. Thanks for keeping Robbie away."

"I'm sorry about that. They wanted to surprise me, so they didn't tell me they were coming over."

"He didn't find out I was there, right?"

"No. But he knew someone was there." For some reason she started to blush.

 

Why would she blush like that?

 

No clue.

For now though, let's run Holly through what we're going to do today.

 

I peeked at her looking down towards her lap where she played with her hands.

 

Nah. It looks like she doesn't want to talk or something. And with everything coming up, neither do I.

 

We sat next to each other without saying another word, and we just enjoyed each other's company.

Once we pulled into school, the two of us got out.

 

We should separate from her more so Robbie doesn't suspect something.

 

"Hey, I'm going to go now so Robbie doesn't see us walking in together or something." I picked up my pace and walked into school. Going to my locker, I put everything I didn't need in, and went to first period when that red headed bitch, Malisa, walked by me. She had0 this ugly glare that turned into a smile as she passed. Tarmon held Esmer's head up towards her.

 

That isn't the look of someone that's afraid of you.

 

I don't care if she's afraid of me or not. Just as long as she doesn't mess with Holly. 

 

I walked into class and immediately it was hell, because I wanted to see him already and it'd be the only thing I could think about until I did.

 

He might not be here today.

 

You might be right, but I really don't want you to be.

 

It wasn't until third period when I saw Robbie walk through the doors of the gym and rushed up to his side. "Hey…"

He stopped dead on the spot and glared as hard I imagined he could at me.

 

This might not be a good idea right now.

 

"I just wanted to say it's good to see you're safe."

He turned and marched off into the boys changing room without a word. 

 

Alright yeah, you're right. I won't push it.

 

I went to go sit in my spot.

 

Let's talk more with Sophie today.

You should be on the track today.

 

If I can, then sure.

 

Everyone walked out and sat down in their seats, did our morning stretches, and went outside. On the way out, I gave Robbie plenty of space until we got to the track, and of course Sophie and Robbie stuck together. Meaning when we started running, I passed by them without much trouble. As class went on, I lapped Robbie, but Sophie was going further ahead, so I sped up past Robbie without a word and ran up next to Sophie. "Thanks for not telling Robbie I was there."

"I didn't do it for you. I did it for him and Holly."

"I know. But still, thank you. And I told you if you wanted to talk about why I was at Holly's then we could."

"God, don't bring it up. Robbie found out she was playing games in her room with someone and made some jokes. Just thinking about it makes me sick."

 

Right, we were playing it together, so it was probably easy for him to figure out...

 

What matters is that he thinks it's someone else.

 

Yeah, but I'm curious...

 

"What kind of jokes?"

"Don't ask," she said, which I listened to and just ran beside her for a bit.

"..."

"..."

"Are you going to follow me the entire class?"

"I was actually hoping if you could give me some advice on how to talk to Robbie."

"I get you're feeling bad, but he really needs some space right now."

"Don't you think he'll feel better if I show I'm making up for it though?" I asked, but she didn't say anything and just kept running. "Come on. Just let me try and talk to him a bit at lunch, and if it doesn't work, then I'll leave him alone. That sound good?"

 "...Just one chance at lunch."

"Sweet. Thanks."

"And I believe you're serious about making it up to him, but we're still not friends."

 

It's somewhat of a shock to say this, but that's kinda sad to hear.

 

"What if I get to make it up to Robbie? Will that change your mind about being friends?"

"Why are you even asking?" She asked as she turned her attention from the track to me.

"I don't know. I spent that time with Holly and it was fun. So maybe if we hang out..."

She slowed down as she still looked at me. "I don't get you at all. You bully Robbie for years, and now you're trying to be our friends."

"I don't get it either. I just know that Holly's fun to hang out with, and I didn't expect her to be. So maybe hanging out with you wouldn't be that bad."

Eventually coming to a crawl, "I seriously don't even know you anymore after hearing that."

I matched her speed. "Again, I don't get it either. Nothing's been normal this entire month. And I guess I learned a lot of things. Yeah we fought a lot, but that was just because I was messing with Robbie."

"Call it what it was. Bullying."

"Because I was bullying him. But now I'm not, and I don't really have a reason to get mad at you anymore."

"So you think you can just make it all fine by just being nice?"

"I hope so."

Robbie eventually caught up to us. "What's going on here?" he asked.

"Nothing," Sophie said as she shot me a glare, and I immediately sped off to give the two some room.

 

+++

I'm going to laugh at this all falling down around us.

+++

 

No it won't, because I have Holly and Sophie to help me make it up to Robbie with.

0