Kendall – Chapter 57: I’m damn near speechless at all of them.
29 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I can't fucking believe everything didn't blow up in my face…

 

+++

That's because Robbie spared your ass. You got off too easy. Do you really think it's okay for us to just get away with a slap on the wrist after all the shit you pulled? I hope Robbie tells them everything we did eventually. I want to see the look on Emma's face when she finds out how brutal you've been to him.

+++

 

I know he kept me from getting in trouble, so I guess I owe him even more. Just going to need to keep working at making it up to him the best I can.

 

"Did you not eat lunch at school?" Robbie's dad asked as he made food in front of me. I was half ready to get up and just eat whatever it was raw, and I was pretty sure the only thing that stopped me from doing that was I physically couldn't stand up right now.

"I guess I just didn't feel like eating then…" I slouched down in the chair as Emma started helping his dad cook.

"You said you gave Robbie your lunch because you were trying to make up for bullying him."

 

I really wish she didn't have to bring that up…

 

+++

Of course she'd bring up us lying.

+++ 

 

Emma looked over her shoulder at me. "I don't understand what's going on between you two or why you're covering for each other, but you're not fooling anyone."

I didn't say anything and kept my eyes to the floor. At least until Robbie walked up and sat across from me. "So she's staying for dinner now?"

"She can barely stand. I'm making food for her because I can't just let her leave like that. After she eats, then she's leaving."  

"Again, I'm sorry about this," Emma said, "I knew Kendall got into a lot of fights, but I didn't think she was bullying someone."

"I told you I only bullied him for a bit..."

"I'm not buying it," Emma said, "The only reason I haven't dragged you out of here by your ear yet is because of Robbie. For whatever reason, he doesn't want to tell us anything. But don't think you're scott free. I'm going to be telling mom when we get home."

This entire thing has been one long ramp that sent me flying with a single positive at the end, only for it to crash into a fiery wreck as I hit the ground. This moment was that crash.

 

+++

How many times did Father tell us Mom never wanted us? Ten years worth or some crap like that? She knows you're a mistake, so just imagine how she'd react when she realized how fucked you are.

+++

 

"You don't need to tell her anything," I said, doing my best to keep my eyes open, "I already stopped it and I've been being nice to him…"

"But you still bullied him," she shot back. Meanwhile, Robbie leaned forward onto the table, and one thing glared out at me. His fists were clenched tight, and he still never stopped glaring at me, but this time it was getting kinda creepy.

"But you know how she'll act…"

Robbie immediately rubbed his face as I said that.

"Well then you should have thought of that before cra- stuff like that."

Robbie slammed both hands on the table. "She didn't bully me."

My mouth hung open as I stared at him. It even made the two stop cooking entirely and look at us.

"Robbie, I want to talk to you alone," Emma said as she turned to his dad. "Is that okay?"

"As long as I get to talk to Kendall."

"Fine by me." They stopped cooking and Robbie's dad sat down next to Robbie. "Robbie, go with…" he turned to Emma. "I'm sorry, what's your name again?"

"Emma."

"Right. Robbie, go talk with Emma."

Robbie broke eye contact with me when he got up and walked off with Emma. When they were gone, his dad moved to sitting in front of me.

"What did you do to make him say you didn't bully him? We both know you did."

 

+++

This is a spectacular display of incompetence from you and Robbie. 

+++

 

"I don't know why he said that…"

"I'm trying my best to be nice here." Sitting up straight, he glared at me like he did when he first realized who I was at the hospital. "I'm even making food for you. So the least you can do is tell me the truth about what you did."

"I seriously don't know what's going on. Why don't you ask him?"

"Because I think you threatened him somehow."

"I don't know what to tell you."

 

+++

Like he's going to buy that.

+++

 

He's not going to buy anything I tell him, so I might as well just not talk.

 

"I want you to tell me the truth."

I kept eye contact, but didn't say anything.

"Playing dumb isn't going to work."

"..."

We stared at each other as I wished for him to just get the fucking hint that I actually didn't know.

"I don't understand what happens to make a person like you, but I'm going to make sure you don't lay another finger on my son again."

The edge of my mouth twitched as he said that.

 

What the fuck kind of asshole comment is that!? 'To make a person like you.' Fuck this guy.

 

+++

Yeah! It should be obvious enough without needing to ask a rude question like that. By the way, the answer is a broken condom followed by 15 years of failing everyone's expectations.

+++

 

"It's none of your fucking business." I shifted to the side to stand up. "I have enough shit to deal with. I don't need some overprotective asshole insulting me when I spent the last week and a half helping Robbie and his friends. He can handle himself just fine."

"He's been trying to handle things on his own, and you almost got him killed because of it."

Planting a hand on the table, I leaned towards him. "Maybe if his parents gave a shit, then it wouldn't have gone that far." I wobbled to my feet and immediately made my way to the door. 

 

+++

That's bullshit and you know it. You're the only reason Robbie almost killed himself.

+++

 

I fucking know! But even Father went after people that messed with me. If someone as fucked up as him can 'protect' their kid, then he could to. He had every single fucking chance with all those marks I sent Robbie home with. But he did nothing. He doesn't get to mock me like that.

 

+++

He only protected you because he didn't want the merchandise being damaged.

+++

 

I was too busy stumbling my way through the living room to respond as I barely managed to stay up. When I got to the door, I put all my weight on the handle, turned it and slowly pushed my way through the second door. I heard Emma call my name from behind, but I went outside and slowly walked down the steps. Everything spun as I made it to the car, so much so that I had to almost dive for the car as my legs gave out.

 

That doesn't change anything. I've been doing my best to be a good person and make it up to him, but I'm still getting treated like an asshole by someone that doesn't even know everything.

 

+++

That's because you've been an asshole for years. People can smell it on you and judge you without any trouble.

+++

 

I opened the passenger door, collapsed onto the seat and slammed the door shut. Not long after, Emma came out of the house and walked up to the door to open it. "What's going on?" she asked .

I leaned back in my seat and closed my eyes. "I just want to fucking go home and eat. I'm hungry and sore and tired and I'm fucking done. Robbie told you that I didn't do anything so can we please go home already so I can actually get food?"

"...Yeah. Let me just say goodbye to his dad. I'll be right out." I couldn't see her with how dark it was, but her voice was enough to give me the feeling that they talked about something that was going to fuck me over again. But if that was the case, then I'd deal with it later. I closed my eyes, and swore I was just a second away from falling asleep when the drivers side door opened, which made me flinch way too hard.

 

+++

That could have been anyone getting in. 

+++

 

Trying to put Tarmon's comment to the side, Emma sat there with her hands on the wheel. "Kendall."

"Yes?" I asked, trying to stay calm as I ran through everything she could have talked about with Robbie.

"I don't know what's going on between you guys, but he said you told him about what happened."

"Told him about what?"

"...About dad."

I fucking told him to not tell anyone.

 

+++

I guess he thought your sister didn't count.

+++

 

With a sigh, I slid down my seat.

 

I guess I can't be too mad…

 

"He told me that you did pick on him, but he asked me to not tell Mom. I also know you wouldn't tell anyone that unless it was massive. And if it's really that serious. Even if I know you're lying about it. Then I won't tell Mom."

Staring off into space, I breath in deep.

Hold it in.

And with every last drop of energy I had left.

 

Holy shit it worked out in the end! Esmer is fucking awesome! You're awesome, Tarmon! Hell, I'm awesome! If there was any way to win in this situation. This is it. Holy fuck. Hoooolyyyy fuck I'm safe from Mom and Emma knows but thanks to Robbie she's not going to be super pissed at me and holy shit!

 

+++

What the fuck do you have to be happy about?

You didn't do anything.

+++

 

What are you talking about? I covered for Robbie and kinda got on better terms with him all in one.

 

+++

No you didn't. Esmer's the one that worked through the pain to tell Robbie what Father did. That's what set everything up, and for all her failings, that's something that I will always respect about her.

+++

 

Well I still covered for Robbie.

 

+++

Don't flatter yourself. Robbie's the one that covered you. I don't know if he's forgiving you or what's going on in his head, but he could have ruined your life, and he chose not to. He might not have a single muscle on his body, but he's far stronger than you ever could be.

+++

 

Shut the fuck up already. Why do you have to ruin everything? 

 

+++

Because you look pathetic trying to take credit for stuff everyone else did. And don't even get me started on Emma. She is a far better sister than you deserve. Even if she's the most gullible person in this entire thing, she cares about you more than anyone I can think of. And that includes Esmer. You've done nothing to deserve that kind of love.

+++

 

That energy quickly faded as Tarmon went on.

 

+++

This only worked out because all three of them decided you didn't deserve any punishment. And I'm damn near speechless at all of them.

Everything you did to Robbie over the years?

You get nothing but a slap on the wrist.

You spoiled, self-centered piece of shit.

+++

 

I sat there. Stunned, starving, empty and moments away from passing out as it sank in. Tarmon was right about everything.

 

Fine. I guess I don't deserve this happening, but I've been through enough shit to deserve to be happy about this.

 

+++

Of course you'd be happy that you got off scott free after all these years.

+++

 

I gave up trying to respond to him. He was just going to turn every word around to make me feel like shit, and I've already had enough of that to last a whole month. So I closed my eyes, shut off my mind and sat there as Emma pulled out of the driveway.

 

0