Robbie – Chapter 61: And what if you don’t like what you hear?
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

NOTE: Hello everyone! We're sorry, but we're likely going to have to skip Tuesday's post on account of needing to catch up with writing due to computer troubles. If this were a more light hearted story then we'd be able to pull it off, but this story? It's already stressful enough without having to worry about tight deadlines, so take this as a life lesson and never buy a pre-built PC unless you feel like gambling.

With that said, this chapter marks the end of this entire mess, meaning it's also a good place for a small pause, so that's fortunate.

We'll be back next Friday, and this should be the last pause for a long while.

No content warnings for this chapter aside from mentions of Kendall bleeding and abuse.

 

Link to the Discord! https://discord.gg/Gbh2t4UpAt


 

Dinner with Kendall. We're not entirely sure if that punch was worth it anymore.

 

I didn't just get to hit Kendall. I knocked her down with one hit. And she let me do it.

 

His leaves perked up the next moment as he patted my back with one of his vines.

 

Very good point!

 

That got a small chuckle out of me, but this was probably going to go just as bad as the rest of the night.

"Did you not eat lunch at school?" Dad asked as he made food. Emma joined him in cooking while Kendall sat at the table.

"I did, but I guess it wasn't enough…"

"You said you gave Robbie your lunch because you were trying to make up for bullying him."

 

That's not how that happened at all.

 

Kendall lying again.

 

Yeah, but it sounds like she changed her story.

 

"I don't understand what's going on between you two or why you're covering for each other," Emma said, "but you're not fooling anyone."

I decided to go sit down across from Kendall "So she's staying for dinner now?"

"She can barely stand. I'm making food for her because I can't just let her leave like that. After she eats, then she's leaving."

"Again, I'm sorry about this," Emma said to Dad, "I knew Kendall got into a lot of fights, but I didn't think she was bullying someone."

"I told you I only bullied him for a bit..." Kendall said. She was looking as drained as I felt.

"I'm not buying it," Emma said, "The only reason I haven't dragged you out of here by your ear yet is because of Robbie. For whatever reason, he doesn't want to tell us anything. But don't think you're scott free. I'm going to be telling mom when we get home."

 

Her mom? What do you thinks the chance that she's abusive too?

 

Imagine the kind of person that she'd have to be if she married someone like her dad.

 

You're right…

 

"You don't need to tell her anything," Kendall said, "I already stopped it and I've been being nice to him…"

"But you still bullied him," Emma said. I leaned on the table as Pern hovered above me.

 

Her mom's going to find out unless we do something.

 

My fists tightened as I never never stopped glaring at Kendall.

"But you know how she'll act…"

 

'How she'll act' makes it sound like we're right about her Mom. It might be for the best if we say she didn't bully us.

 

I rubbed my face and tried to work through everything.

 

So Kendall doesn't get in trouble at all for everything. Just like that.

 

If she doesn't, then things could get way worse than what we're comfortable with.

 

"Well then you should have thought of that before cra- stuff like that."

 

We've seen everything we need to see. If we don't do it now, then Emma might not buy it.

 

Without waiting any longer, I slammed my hands down on the table. "She didn't bully me."

Staring at Kendall, I wish I could just throw up right there, but I kept it down.

"Robbie, I want to talk to you alone," Emma said, "Is that okay?"

"As long as I get to talk to Kendall," Dad said

"Fine by me." They stopped cooking and Dad sat down next to me. "Robbie, go with Emma."

Without hesitating, I got up and walked to the living room with Emma. Once we were out of sight of the other two, Emma spoke up. "Okay Robbie, you seriously need to tell me what's happening. Why did you say she never bullied you? Even Kendall told me she bullied you for a bit"

Pern settled down to the side of us.

 

We need to be careful with what we say.

 

I have a better idea. I'm going to call her out.

 

Don't. She's on a whole other level than Kendall in terms of strength, and we already know she's fine hurting kids.

 

But if I can stand up to someone like Emma, then no one's going to be able to mess with me.

 

That's great and all, but until we know how far Emma is willing to go, then we shouldn't say anything that'd backfire onto Kendall.

 

Then we can call the cops if she does anything like that again.

 

If it was that easy, then don't we think she would have done it by now?

 

Maybe, but I don't know how that stuff works.

 

Then it'd be smart to not get ourselves tangled up in it.

 

We already got tangled up in this when they came over here. If Emma didn't want to make me question it, then she shouldn't have come here. So she has only herself to blame for me calling her out.

 

I glared at her just like I used to look at Kendall. "I know what you did."

 

You're going to get her and us into god knows what kind of trouble.

 

"What do you mean?" Emma asked as she played up being confused.

 

Why are you wanting to back down now after everything? You used to be all 'let's kill Kendall!' and now you want me to back down?

 

Because Emma is someone that can beat up Kendall easily if she wanted to, and we already had no chance in a fair fight with Kendall to start with. We don't need her going after us when she's shown she's willing to take things far.

 

"I know why she was bleeding," I stepped forward and looked up at her despite my heart picking up speed, "Nothing would have caused that in the alleyway. I know Sophie and her dad wouldn't have done that. So that leaves you."

 

That's enough.

 

No it's not. Besides. As far as I'm concerned Kendall did all that shit because of her fucked up family. So if I can't get back at Kendall anymore, then I'm going to get back at her family and show I can stand up for myself all at once.

 

That almost sounds like we don't blame Kendall anymore.

 

Shut up. That doesn't mean I don't hate her too. Her entire families fucked, but her family's messed up in a much worse way.

 

Emma's entire tone shifted and she also took a step forward, and that sent a jolt through my chest, but I stood still and kept my eye on her. "Are you seriously suggesting I hurt her?"

"Yes I am, because you're the only one that could've done something like that from the alleyway to here."

She narrowed her eyes, "You don't know anything about what's going on with her, so don't even go there."

I broke out into a quiet laugh, "I don't know anything?" The laugh and smile disappeared in the next moment. "I know her dad used to do fucked up stuff to her. Just like I know you're the one that made her bleed all over her sleeve. And god knows what your mom does to her."

Her mouth slowly hung open before she closed it and folded her arms. "She actually told you?"

"She did." My eyes never budged an inch from hers as my heart pounded faster with every moment. Nothing was said between us, and eventually, Kendall walked into the living room and out the door. We both noticed her, but Kendall didn't pay either of us any attention.

 

What was that about?

 

Emma turned to me. "I'll be back."

Pern and I watched her walk out the door as I peeked out the front window to see Emma leaning into the car.

 

Things might turn out very bad for everyone because we did that.

 

I stood there with my hands on the verge of trembling.

 

And if it doesn't? Then I just stood up to someone like Emma.

 

That doesn't change that we'd be sticking our necks out for Kendall. Covering for Kendall? Sure. We feel sick doing it, but we can deal with that now. Putting ourselves at risk for her? Not on her fucking life. She hasn't earned that by any stretch.

 

This isn't just about her. I'm doing this for myself as well.

 

Looking back at the kitchen, I saw Dad sitting there with a weird look on his face.

 

We know, and it's good that we're standing up for ourselves more. Just hope it's going to be alright.

 

I walked up to him and he only noticed me when I made it to the table. "Hey…" he muttered.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"I was just thinking." He got up and walked over to the front door to look out the window. "Are they leaving?"

"I don't know. We saw Kendall walk out and Emma just followed her."

"Well she's coming back." He opened the door to let her in.

"Sorry about that," Emma said as she walked back inside, "I guess I should take her home after everything, but can I talk to Robbie alone for just a bit more?" She asked Dad, who nodded without a word and walked back into the kitchen.

When he was out of sight, Emma's eyes locked onto mine. "Are you and Kendall dating or something?"

The amount of whiplash I got from that would be enough to turn my brain to mush.

 

Us dating Kendall? Where the fuck did she even get that idea?

 

"Why would I be dating her?"

"Because I can't think of any other reason she'd tell you about our dad. She's even lying to cover up for you. She never does that for anyone but herself. So are you guys just really good friends then?"

"No. I hate her," I said without even thinking.

"Then…" Her shoulders slumped. "What's going on between you two?"

"And what if you don't like what you hear? Are you going to cut her again?"

Her entire face tensed up as she glared at me. Her voice lowered to a whisper. "I'm getting really tired of you accusing me of that shit. I'm the one that takes care of her and supports her."

Pern hovered above me.

 

Don't say we didn't warn us.

 

"And if I call the cops and tell them what happened?" I took a deep breath and stood up straight. "How you're the only person between the alleyway and here that could have done that to Kendall."

She marched up close to me and leaned down to get to my eye level. I wanted to back down, but we were in my house and I wasn't going to let someone like Emma scare me. Not here of all places.

"Because she was cut by nails," she held up her hands, and she practically didn't have any nails to speak of. Her voice lowered to an angry hush, "Do I look like I could cut someone with these? What, did you think that just because our dad was evil means that the rest of us are? You just accuse people of crap for the hell of it?" She got closer, and for all my big talk, I backed up against the wall. "You can say whatever you want about our dad, but I'm the reason dad got arrested and I'm the reason Kendall's safe now. I've been the one taking care of her and practically fucking raising her since he went away, so don't think for a moment you can scare me with that shit. I care about and love her more than anyone else, and I've had to deal with a lot worse than some kid who wants to call the cops for something he doesn't understand."

Pern and I stood there as all our momentum got sucked out in an instant.

 

Do we believe her?

 

We don't know how good of a liar Emma is, but if someone clawed her, then Emma wouldn't be able to do it with those nails. Might as well ask how it happened.

 

"Then how did she get hurt?"

"It's none of your business." She paused and stood back up straight with a sigh. "Or maybe it is. I don't know anymore. If she told you about our dad then she might tell you, but you're going to need to ask her."

 

I doubt that. She had to full on switch to tell us about her dad.

 

Not to mention we don't know if it's safe to ask Kendall about it.

 

…So was all this really for nothing? Were we completely wrong about her family?

 

We don't know, but it's best to be safe. Ask her to not tell her mom about Kendall.

 

"If you really didn't do anything, then don't tell your Mom about Kendall."

She stared at me, but it wasn't that angry stare from a few moments ago. "...If you're really that serious about wanting to cover for her. And since you're the one she bullied. Fine. I won't tell Mom."

The adrenaline was the only thing keeping my eyes open at this point, but even that was starting to get drained. "Then we're done here and I'm going to bed." I turned around and walked up to the door to my room without waiting for her to say anything. I was done with today, and nothing was going to stop me from ending it. Opening up our door, Pern and I walked in and we both fell down on our bed.

 

Fuck today.

 

And fuck tomorrow.

0