Prologue – Part II
1.1k 5 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The man with the axe, was exactly as I predicted. The moment he saw Maapu cowering helplessly in fear, his attention was fully diverted towards the cornered creature in front of him. Little did he notice, my vine whip lashing across to where he stood. One end of my whip caught his axe drawn hand. A slight irritation appeared on his face as he realised that he could not swing the axe as effortlessly as he expected. His face twisted into a snarl as he noticed the end of the whip twisting around his right arm. He probably did not notice my presence, for as he turned in my direction, Maapu acted swiftly as stabbed him along his kneecap. As he screamed, then knelt and finally fell down, Theko stabbed him with his spear to his lower jaw. The axe wielder had half a breastplate that covered his chest and went all the way down to his torso. The crude goblin spears would have never penetrated the breastplate. But an opponent on the ground expose a lot of weak spots.

The first part of the plan was executed as planned. The goblins did their part as explained. Shoot two arrows in their direction, scream a bit and run away while luring them. Lead them on to the designated spot and wait till ambush them. Maapu tried to stab the screaming man in him throat again. I saw through this from the beginning and lashed my whip at Maapu, reminding him that it was my original plan. I needed him alive and screaming, for the ambush to work well.

I wanted the brutish axe wielder to scream, but nothing intelligible. The plan was to lure them one by one. The lava ants decoction from the goblins is not a potent poison, but would burn enough to add to his agony. I got hold of one of the nearby brambles, climbed to a higher branch and lie low for my next victim.

Soon enough, the next one followed. He was the lanky fellow with a broadsword.

“How did these filthy goblins managed to get throu.....” but before he could finish his statement. I drop-kicked on him from above. My aim was not to stagger him, but to get the bowstring noose around him neck. The rough bowstring of goblins was useful for something in the end. Maapu and Theko rushed to my side and wrestled the broadsword from his hands while I kicked him in the back of his knees to keep him down. I signaled the two of them to get to their position. It is time for the bandits to rush to their captive companion. As for the next bandit who stumbles upon the scene, I will have to deal them alone.

I loosened the grip on the bowstrings as the writhing from the body stopped. Knowing that the next one would arrive in a few moments, I quickly assessed the situation. There is the axe from our first victim, and then there is the broadsword. Neither of them are ideal weapons for what I have in mind. I have the element of surprise on my side, so I need to end the fight quick. If the fight prolongs, a veteran enemy would adapt to the situation. Unfortunately, it seems that I might have to take this fight prolonged.

The sound of heavy feet striding on the ground alerted me that my opponent will soon appear. Heavy strides also means that my opponent is not the woman with the recurve bow. Not that I am surprised, since my perception of her was that she would not rush into a fight. Also, that means my opponent is the shorter, bulky and cloak wearing man. The timing was perfect. As I sunk into the nearby forest foliage, he appeared. He stood for a moment, gauging the situation and after seeing his fallen comrades, a rage swept across his face. He unleashed a bestial scream before pushing his cloak away from his shoulders.

My eyes widened a bit. Not because of the bestial rage, or because of his sinewed shoulders or even because of his trunk like calves. He had no armour. Just a tight pair of trousers and a multitude of weapons. A morning star hung from one hip, a short sword on the other hip, a short spear was held in one hand and an exotic sickle moon bladed skinning long knife hung along with the short sword. I had to wonder a bit. Another look at him told me that he is the sort to take pride in exposing his sculpted physique. Not surprising, a common trait among creatures who value brawns over brains.

As to his multiple assortment of weapons, is he a weapons master? His lack of armour might add up to his speed while striking? Not that I am interested in, I let my eyes wander over his crouch. Yes, he is definitely compensating. That explains his huge collection of weapons. He did a quick sweep of the area by turning around and as he turned his back towards me, his well chiseled naked back aroused an intention to perform the eldritch massage on his back. I considered it for a fraction of a moment. Since Humans and Elves, in general, share similar physiology, it might work with him.

Summoning my strength and innate powers, rushing towards him, my finger caressed the first point on his back. In a smooth, flowing motion, I guided my hands and my fingers found the second point behind his earlobes. It has to be done smoothly, the third point at his sides, just below his armpits and the last point, below the lower jaw and closer to the neck. The eldritch massage was over before he could respond or even realise. He stared at me wide-eyed before collapsing to the side.

He never had a chance to use his array of weapons. His lips quivered, but there will be no sound from him. I quickly ended his life with his own sickle moon blade and rushed toward the final confrontation.

Now only the leader and the woman with the bow remained. The commotion that we caused has already thrown them out of their game. Still, this is one fight where I cannot hope to remain in the shadows. I have to reveal myself to them.

*** 

“Aram, your plan was supposed to lure goblins,“ the woman said while keeping her view focused on me. “But, this one,“ she stressed the last syllable, “does not look like a goblin.”

The man called Aram retorted, “A dark elf, probably a feral one, look at her clothes and condition,”. His gait changed midway through his statement as he realised, piecing the puzzle pieces together. The strange commotion from the goblins, the lack of response from his men after they gave chase, and the appearance of a drow. He immediately took a defensive stance and stood between me and the archer woman.

I am certain that even in my present state I could outrun him. Even if he decided to give chase, his armour would hinder his movements. My only concern was to get rid of the ranged weapon user, the woman with the bow. Failing which, at least deny her the advantage of using the ranged weapon.  Once the rescue is done, we flee in to the forest. The purpose was to rescue, not to deliver death. But like all events that has happened of late, things are never uncomplicated.

I whip the vine whip a few times in a theatrical manner so to keep their attention focused on me. Meanwhile, my two new-found minions, Maapu and Theko quickly set about releasing the captive goblin. A few more moments of this charade, and then we all disappear into the woods and hope that the arrow from the woman archer does not find a lucky mark. At least, that was what I hoped for as the best outcome. But the goblins decided to improvise, and so it was not a surprise when they decided to get a drop on the woman from behind.

Hearing her wail, Aram tried to swing around and reach the ground where the three goblins were tackling the woman to the ground. I lashed my whip around Aram’s neck and held tight with all the strength that I could muster. His strength was formidable and all I could do was to slow him down. Theko snatched the bow from the hapless woman and quickly cut the bowstrings , then he made a low nasal noise before disappearing into the thickets. He was followed by the captive goblin and Maapu. Maapu gave me a look before disappearing. Wordless pleading that they would not wantonly take a life, that is, not unless I allow it.

With the rescue successful, escape was my priority. I quickly treaded my way through the woods. Aram stayed near the woman. A wise choice. After a few manoeuvering in the woods to make sure that I was not followed or ambushed. I set myself moving in the direction of our rendezvous location.

The three goblins revered and bowed as I made my presence. They maintained their silence, and they eagerly watched my stride. I knew the answer may not be affirmative, but I still asked the goblins, “Do you have any cloaks, shoes or water skins?” .

This might be a chance to stack up on some essential items. After all, I am an exile with nothing. Only a lunar back, I had enough authority at my disposal and now, I have to stoop low to lead a life at the kindness of goblins. They kowtowed and shook their head, as if, they do not want to insult me by answering with a no.

I sighed a bit and sniffed their air before deciding to move on. Not like I can expect much from goblins. Theko ran in front of me, got down on his knees, raised his hands and said, “But we can bring Grand Dark Mistress”. Eyeing the captive goblin, he voiced further, “All forest belong to Mistress. Command and Mistress have all. “.

Maapu prodded the other goblin. The new one hesitated but after an assuring look from Theko, spoke, “We know all places. Good place to take cloak, also nice clothes and daggers, other things. “ The other goblin spoke with a hesitant tone.

Maapu chimed in,” Lot of shiny things too. All for Our Mistress”.

Our Mistress, did he say? At this moment, I am certain of three things.

First, the place they refer to, they are definitely planning on breaking and stealing.

Second, it probably belongs to the same bandit group.

And lastly, since they went against the words of their Leader and Shaman, they are probably an outcast now. By choosing me as their Mistress, they hope to gain a powerful protection. Just when I thought that the goblins were dumb, they proved that they can be nifty when it comes to survival.

I shrugged and continued to walk away. I cannot afford to take on a fight with a bandit brigade. It is easier to leave the area. The goblins ran in front of my and all three knelt down in reverence.

It was Theko who spoke again. “Food and drinks......more people for Mistress. Taltil will follow mistress. If Mistress come. “

Ah, so there are other goblin captives in the bandit’s place, and the one we rescued is called Taltil. Now, that explains their action a lot more. After the long ascent and an ordeal of evading various denizens of the nether realm, the prospect of a decent food and drinks with a few goblins to watch over me while I get to rest my weary muscles was alluring.

“Now tell me everything”, I said, while mentally working out a battle plan.

43