Chapter 2. The Escape
885 4 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The grogginess in my head still ached. My hands and feet refused to move. To be fair, they are bound at the wrist and ankles. I assert my position. Tied spread-eagled. On top of an elevated stone slab. An altar. Arcane sigils and eldritch symbols around.

A figure in a cowl and carrying a torch in one hand appeared. Another one appeared soon, but they maintained their distance from me. I tried to open my mouth only to realise that I have been gagged as well. Slowly twisting my bound wrists, I motioned for them to come closer to me. After a bit of hesitancy, one of the cowled figures moved closer.

“Don’t bother”. A male voice answered from inside the cowl. Neither old nor too young.

“We are not foolish to let you run your mouth”

“Who knows what hidden monsters you can still call forth”. A delicate girl’s voice came from the other cowled figure. “ A Matron of a house, even an exiled one, still commands powers. Pays to be cautious”.

Even while covering themselves in the hood, their gait and speech mannerism indicated a bit of sophistication. Maybe nobles, rich merchants or someone from the upper echelons. And they knew who I am. Or who I used to be.

A third hooded figure appeared.

“Worry not, O gracious one, Your troubles will soon be over. Even a shorned Matriarch has power. The power which we will deliver to the glory of our ...” A cultist. Some obscure dark god who I do not bother to know. Escaping this one would be easy. I just need to get the gag removed.

I looked at him and moved my eyes around as if searching for something.

“If you are searching for Aram, he is a bit wiser than what his external appearance portrays. He knows when to cut his losses and make a profit where he can. “

This one seemed to be the unofficial leader of the cultist. I beckoned him to my side which he ignored.

I imitated the motion of tossing and clinking coins with my thumb and index finger. That got their attention.

The female voiced,” You cannot bribe us with anything. I mean, look at you clad in rags.”

I have to attempt this one delicately. I imitated the motion of tossing coins once more and after receiving no favourable response in return, I gingerly turned my palm and finger downwards. That got their attention. The action of a lost opportunity.

They seems to discuss and argue among themselves. Finally, the gag was removed.

“Speak, but be warned.”

Now is my chance.

“So Aram tricked you as well.”

“Now you are going to claim that you are someone else, and we are mistaken. That Aram tricked us with selling a lowborn drow for a high price.” There was a pause followed by a megalomaniac laugh.

“If that is your plan, let me inform you, O Gracious One, your plan has failed.”

They are so full of themselves. Overconfident and gloating. An arrogant opponent can be easily manipulated.

“No, I am saying Aram tricked both of us. He did not lie to you, but he did not reveal the full truth.”

After a pause for the statement to sink in, I continued, “Ask Yourself why would I come to this particular part of the surface world. After being shorned, I could be anywhere on the surface world, but why here? And how did Aram capture me so easily?”

The male figure moved his hand to the inside of his hood, stroking his chin. Not hard or rough hands. More of a delicate finger with signs of rings worn around each finger. Rings which have recently been removed.

Tempt them with what they need. Gold and gems will probably not tempt them.

“How obscure do you think the story of his? I walked myself to his encampment, killing his men, only to get captured.”

The bait has been thrown. I maintained silence.

“So, let us hear your side of the story.”

“I came here to raise an army, strike back and gain all that I lost. We, drows, do not have the habit of staying low when knocked to the ground. I have stored something in this part just for such an occasion. Aram was assigned to escort me until he decided to run his own company. “

I continued further, “Records, deeds and a list of dealings..... Information that involved parties does not like to be made public. The sort that would let me influence not just people but whole guilds, royal houses, religious parties. “

Blackmails and information, now that is something they cannot refuse.

“That fool. He thought he made a clever choice. “ I laughed.

“He will soon realise the futility. The information can topple monarchs, start succession wars and incite civil wars and if anyone thinks that I would let these pieces of information be written in a manner that any scribe can read them, then they are mistaken. “

“So this is your version of the story”. A tinge of distrust in his voice.

“Aram had a choice, and he took his chances. Now you have a choice. You can either sacrifice me and be happy with whatever measly scraps your Gods throw at you, or take a chance with me and gain influence, gain more followers, more prominence. Play the long game or be satisfied with immediate gratification”

“ You did not reach where you are by playing safe. You got to where you are by taking risks if I am not wrong. “ I added, stroking his ego.

This time the girl spoke, “ Assuming we join together, how can we believe a dark elf to keep her end of the bargain.? “

“Look at me, I am in rags. The man hired to escort me turned against me. I am all alone. In my current state, do you think I can walk in, threaten powerful people without a knife in my back the very next moment?” That gave her something to think about.

“Candidly, I need allies. Allies who will not be short-sighted. Allies who will help me get back my status. I am only interested in drow society. The surface world is of little interest to me. We both can share without having to cut each other’s share. We tread a common path but with different goals. “

They left me alone, but I know they will be back. To release me and accept my offer.

34