Chapter 4. Aram’s Ploy
609 10 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meranvale was the first surface town that I visited after my exile. It was dirty, shabby and betrayed any plan on behalf of the architecture. The town was located at the edge of the large inland lake whose name escapes my memory. Most of their folks earn their livelihood from either fishing or hauling trade goods through the waters.

Unfriendly eyes glared at me as I set my strides in Meranvale. I guess towns in remote parts are apprehensive of outsiders. I approached a hawker, but the hawker refused to respond and ignored me. I tried a few more people on the streets, but no one was willing to interact with me.

As I was spinning the gears in my head trying to figure out my next course of action, a pair of guards walked in my direction. Their determined approach towards me stopped within a few feet, and they exchanged glances. Then one of the guards broke the silence.

“Newcomer, proceed no further”

“Pardon?” deciding getting confrontational is not to my own benefit, “Guardsmen, salutations.”

“Have you registered yourself with the town authorities?” My greetings were ignored and returned with questions.

“Which authorities?”

Both the guardsmen exchanged a bewildered look at one another.

“The authorities of the town, do you understand? This is civilised land. “

The implication being, I am uncivilised. Is it my clothes or my race that bothers them? But since they have taken the liberty of assuming my social status, let me give it to them.

“Yes, but which one? The patrol captain, the mayor,  the council scribe, or is it the governor’s office. Oh, please accept my apologies, a settlement of your standing probably cannot afford a council scribe. So is it a town hall? I take it that, your economy can indeed support a town hall, right?”

“Listen, Dark elf woman, we are not here to answer your question. If you have not registered, report to the guardhouse and state your intentions there. “

The other guard, who was silent all along, now cleared his throat.

“It is a simple summon. We are simple folks here, and we like to keep unsavoury elements out of our town. Just state the purpose of your visit to our scribe in the guardhouse. If you have nothing to hide or if you are just a passing traveller looking for some resting time, you have nothing to be afraid of. “

Compared to the other guard, this one seems a bit sympathetic.....but impressions can be deceptive.

“How do I reach the guardhouse?”

“Go back the way you came, 'till you see the town gate. Look around, you will see the heraldry flag of our Lord Korvanor. Walk in the direction of the flag, and the building on the northern side of the flag is the guardhouse. Make haste.”

Cursing my luck but at the same time sighing relief for this is not a high elf settlement. Those pretentious inbreeds are known for their bureaucratic handedness. The guardhouse was not difficult to locate.

***

As soon as I set my foot in, I was greeted with a lethargic voice, “Proceed to the room at the further end of the hallway. Our scribe will be there with you shortly.”

Strange.

I proceeded to the instructed room. It was a simple room with a barred window, a single empty table and two crude chairs. A barred window, probably was a cell at some point and converted to a scribe’s office.

The voice of the guard to told me to proceed to this room seemed practised. It was almost as my entrance was announced... no expected. Speaking of which, the two guardsmen who met me on the streets addressed me immediately as a newcomer, albeit given that there are not many drows in this part. Something is not right. I looked at the table again, and I heard the door bolted behind me.

I glanced again at the empty table. A scribe’s table without any ink marks or papers or scrolls lying around. A simple fact that I overlooked. Guards already anticipating my arrival, another simple fact that I overlooked.

The certain fact is that I walked myself into a trap. But who is the mastermind behind it?

Aram? Since I am following him, that is my obvious choice. But does he really hold so much influence to set the town guards? Considering the fact that he was in a cave in the forest, it is highly unlikely. If he wielded so much power, he would not be quartering in the forest.

Xenophobic town? Still does not explain why go through the elaborate scheme of getting me trapped. A crucifix outside the wall would have a better impact.

The only logical conclusion seems to be drow houses. They have a number to settle with me and most drow houses, even the minor ones, would hold enough authority and power to get a whole town or at least a section of the town to go with their plan. I have not been on the surface for long and dark elf web of deceits usually take a longer duration to spin. Unless, this is a plan which has been in the making for a while, and then again, that is improbable to predict that I would be in this backwater town.

A small block slid in the door, breaking my thoughts. On the other side, I could see the grinning face of Aram. Closer to Aram was another human male with the gait of someone who is used to giving orders.

“Is she the one?” the other human asked.

“Yes, she is. “ replied Aram.

I am obviously missing something here.

The other human said something to one of his aides, “Send word to Lord Korvanor. “

"Too many unknown variables there" - is what my old friend Vangere would have said in this situation.

“We have his son’s assassin captured. “ Turning to Aram, he added, “Really appreciate your timely involvement Aram. Even in his despair, I am sure our lordship will show you his gratitude. “

“How could you trust the words of a bandit and a slave trader? I killed no such person. He is framing me and more importantly, he is out to manipulate you all. “ I screamed. But the wooden block slid back into position.

“Would Lord Korvanor deliver me more commissions?” the voice of Aram could be heard from the other side. My heightened sense of hearing picked up the conversation on the other end.

“I am just a town guard captain, Aram. What Lord Korvanor and you brew together is beyond my reasoning. You bring slaves and goods through my town and keeping with Lord Korvanor’s instructions, I turn the other way. I have neither influence with Lord Korvanor nor in his household. Better take it with Merrick“

“So are the rumours true? Is Merrick really his Bastard Son?”

“It is futile to ponder over such things. Besides, I am expecting Lord Korvanor to send his hunting dog to drag this creature away. Keep your questions to yourself. “

“Though I would love to see Merrick, the hunting dog, drag the dark wench through the streets, I have other pressing matters to concern myself with. She crippled my band. Just when we were expanding. And she did it alone. Do not underestimate her and do not engage her yourself. Wait for Merrick to come with reinforcements. “

“You don’t have to repeat it multiple times. I know. I have sent word to Lord Korvanor to provide manpower. Plus, there is no way he would leave the killer of his Son, a moment of respite. I expect that he would be marshalling all the immediate forces he could muster. “

The conversation faded slowly.

Obviously, I am framed by Aram and in fact, he is proving to be more cunning than I initially gave him credit for.

27