Chapter 8 – Flint-tooth tribe
532 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day promised a modest rest and a simple meal. After moving through the whole night, the appeal of a well-deserved rest with the guarantee of a tribe watching over me was tempting. I watched Maapu rush through trail and game paths in the forest. In spite of our vigorous pace, Theko was still able to keep up with us.

Maapu led us to a small stream where we decided that it would be an appropriate time to refresh ourselves. While Maapu went to collect berries, Theko relieved his burden and sat down cross-legged. I noticed that Taltil’s wound seems to have healed faster than I anticipated. It would leave a scar and one of her ears would be permanently disfigured. But she is resilient and would not let that hinder her. 

Taking the time, I tested my new weapons. I trained a few basic moves with the dirk and the tuck. The dirk was a bit heavy and durable. It would be ideal for long fights with parrying. The tuck on the other hand would be the weapon to end the fight.

Maapu returned in the meantime with some wild berries and roots. Resisting the temptation, I let Theko and Taltil have their fill before tasting the berries. While Taltil was reluctant to take berries before I had my fill, Theko, on the contrary, was happy to have his belly filled. Finally, Maapu and Taltil ate the roots raw.

As we neared the end of our small breakfast, Theko started the question, “Dark Mistress, do we go to trolls now?”

“I need my rest before battling. Furthermore, I need to meet your tribe beforehand, if we are to fight together.”

“Grand Mistress, why meet tribe? We go and kill trolls.” He showed his three fingers while speaking.

“We cannot kill 3 trolls with our strength. Trolls are hard to kill. Hard to wound. Even when cut they heal fast. So We need the whole tribe to kill a troll,” I explained as patiently as I could.

“Mistress, the tribe is with Chief and Shaman,” Taltil said.

“So the tribe will not fight the trolls?”

“Chief and Shaman do not want to fight trolls. “ She added. Her expression is one of anticipation.

Now I find myself in the middle of an internal power struggle within a goblin tribe. 

“Mistress can kill trolls. Mistress is strong.” Maapu said with an energetic voice.

“I am not slaying anyone. I am not fighting your fights. I am done getting involved in other people's fight.“ I screamed. The events of the past few days took control of my emotions. I got myself exiled precisely because of these situations. I get dragged into wars that are not my own. 

My screaming scared a flock of birds resting on a nearby canopy. Theko backed quietly. While Maapu seemed visibly annoyed but he did not make a move. Only Taltil remained close but she dared not to look at my face.

“Let me guess: Were you three kicked from your tribe?” I demanded an answer.

“Chief say we are not part of the tribe,” Taltil responded.

“You are all alone and need strong protection. Is it why you came seeking me?”

“We want no harm for tribe. We want to help tribe. Chief not good leader. We are good goblins.” Theko spoke. He words sounded more of a justification than explanation.

“Grand Mistress please talk with chief. Chief listen to Strong Mistress. Mistress help goblins. Now Mistress help tribe. Tribe give all to Grand Mistress.” Saying that Theko let the bundles, that he was carrying, fall down. He crouched down and held his knees close to his chest. His mannerism resembled that of a pouting child. 

One thing is clear. I need help if I had to survive the oncoming hunt. And the three trolls cannot be defeated with our current measly numbers. Removing the trolls requires bringing the tribe together and an undivided tribe will be far more valuable for my own survival. Steadying myself, I said with determination,

“Lead me to the chief, But tell me more about the Shaman.”

Even in a primitive culture like those of the goblin communities, the basic tenet applies. Power is never brokered in public. I vividly recall teaching my daughter while setting her up on the path of becoming a future leader. Not that she needed those schooling from her mother. She had an unnatural Charisma from her childhood. The power to foster strong friendships, the ability to attract crowds and the guile to re-orient them to her cause. In hindsight, I failed to realise the full potential of my daughter. Or rather, how much of a strong-willed individual she has grown up to be.

“Chief is strong and but when Shaman says Chief not say no. Everyone listen to Shaman. Chief strong than Shaman. Chief not afraid of Shaman but Chief only listen to Shaman. No other goblin Chief hears.” Taltil’s words brought me back from my thought.

So I do not have to challenge the tribe chief. Convincing the shaman would be ideal. The issue, people such as the shaman, are not easy to negotiate with.

“Shaman strong too. Shaman alone and came bear. Shaman kill bear alone. Shaman strong. Maybe strong than Chief” Maapu spoke with reverence.

For Maapu who always shown contempt to the Chief, that was an attitude change.

“Shaman also speak many language. But also goes alone” Taltil added.

After listening to them for a while, I broke their conversation.

“Take me to the Shaman. I want to speak to Shaman first not your Chief. Alone.” I stressed the word alone and pronounced it longer.

It was Taltil who spoke, “Shaman maybe not alone now Mistress.”

“Just take me to the Shaman. “

“As Grand Mistress wishes” Said Maapu and started moving through the trail.


The sounds of humanoids moving as well as the wailing of infants combined with shouts marked our approach to the goblin settlement. As Maapu ran forward, more goblins clan in dull fur, leather and rags came in view. Most of them were barefooted, though the occasional goblin could be seen with shoes or sandals. Almost all of them carried some sort of crude weapon. Either a dagger in the belt or some axe or club. Even their women carrying weaning babies had some sort of crude cudgel hanging from their waist.

The settlement was as expected. Crude huts, with roughly thatched roofs, tents which are just a huge leather held by four poles were scattered all around. Initially, the single goblins that we encountered actively avoided me but as we ventured further, the young one started snarling at me, but the adult goblins were quick to grab the young ones. Soon we were met with a huge group with some goblin warriors holding iron-tipped spears. In the middle was a taller goblin. But it was the one close to the taller goblin who was my focus. This one squatted and hence I failed to measure his height.

“I bear no harm,” I said while keeping my hands away from my body.

“Let us talk, I can help you. I am not an enemy. Friend.” I spoke slowly and deliberately.

The soldier goblins holding the spear still held the tip in my direction but they did not move to encircle me. That is a good sign.

The Chief repeatedly glared at Maapu and me.

The squatting goblin now stood up and I realised that he was closer in height to me. Taltil lowered her head in the direction of the goblin and said, “Shaman, Dark Mistress want to talk with you.”

The shaman was well built and contrary to how I envisioned him. I pictured the shaman to be a bit old and gnarled but the shaman seemed to be in height of his physical prowess. In fact, he seemed to be stronger than all the other goblins around. The shaman wore a robe but it was similar to a toga. But the more distinct feature was his colour. While most of the goblins range from greyish-yellow to green, the shaman had a currant red hue to his skin. And that is when realisation dawned on me. I cursed Maapu mentally.

In all his adoration fueled monologue about this shaman, he failed to mention that the flint-tooth clan shaman is a barghest.

23