Chapter 11 – No Place for the Wicked
373 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 We traversed our path back leaving the burning corpse of the trolls behind. I was finally relieved to have obtained the prospect of a temporary shelter of some sort. Even if it was a crude goblin settlement.

Maapu had long and enthusiastic strides. Theko was his usual self. He kept to himself falling behind us. The only one of the group who seemed interested in conversation was Taltil. She had an inquisitive nature. Not only did she try to engage me in hearing about the world outside the forest, but she also enquired about various herbs and stars to Beld.

Beld had the patience of a slightly annoyed elderly grandfather while still patiently answering her questions.

“Mistress Vera,” Beld uttered.

He has used an Honorific, so whatever he is going to address is a nifty topic. I prepared myself for the oncoming conversation and nodded in his direction.

“Where do you plan to go after resting? I have a request if Mistress wills it.” At last, he spoke his intention.

Not wishing to elaborate the whole past, I decided to answer his question with one of my own.

“That depends on your request, Beld.”

Beld lowered his voice and spoke softly, “If it would be possible, Would you take these three under your guidance,  as your followers when you leave?”

So, they had no intention of letting those three live in their village anyway and the whole Aram and troll problems were just a convenient ruse to exile them.

“If I am going to take them with me, I believe I have a right to know the truth,” I responded hoping to get all the facts.

“They will destroy the tribe. Will bring trouble to our lives. That is their nature. As they grow, they will bring more fight to the tribe. That is what they are. But if it is someone like you, Vera, you can teach them, make use of them, keep them safe. “

“And what makes you say that? Because they disobeyed your tribe's edict and antagonised Aram? I never knew goblin tribes to place adherence to obedience as a priority. ”

“They are goblin and yet they are not. Goblins as Children but not always goblins forever. You see Vera, the goblin society is not....” he paused as if seeming to consider his next word carefully....” made up of a singular species as dark elves.”

He continues, “Unexpected death is fairly expected in an adult goblin’s life. The first casualties of war, the first to get slaughtered in a border skirmish, the first to put on stake in a purge, the first to be enslaved. Most goblin young ones do not grow up knowing their parents. Tribes usually take in any wandering young ones they meet. “

Despite his rough guttural voice, Beld sounded a bit crestfallen.

“I, myself, grew up with a different tribe. As young ones, we are all goblins but our heritage shows up when we mature. “

“So are they barghest too?”

“No. Maapu, if you have seen his warlike approach, is a result of his hobgoblin growth. “

“What about Theko and Taltil then? Are they hobgoblins too?”

“Theko and Taltil are bugbears. or they will grow up to be bugbears one day.”

That cleared many things. Maapu’s blood-lust or Theko’s endurance and even Taltil’s cautiousness.

“The path I tread is uncertain.”

“With the tribe, the only certain path for them is death. And also the death of the tribe.” He responded.

“I do not comprehend. Hobgoblins and Bugbears have always lived with large goblin communities. What makes you believe that they will destroy the tribe?”

Beld took a moment as if reminiscing something. When he finally spoke, his voice had clarity.

“My thoughts are borne from my own experiences. Mistress Vera. “ He concluded.

His tone implied that he will not entertain any further questions. Beld has a past, one that he does not wish to speak about in great detail. But he has said enough.

 


 

We were met with a chorus of yelling and cheers as we reached the flint-tooth tribe village. The goblin chief strode forward surround by his spear-wielding goblin Warband. While Beld moved to talk with the chief of the goblins, Maapu and Taltil rushed to join another smaller group of goblins. The group seemed more than overjoyed to see Maapu. Theko glanced at me before rushing to join his companions.

“Vera, I must take some rest but you can join the chief.”

The injury demands a period of convalescence. But before he left, he turned towards me and said, “But please consider my request.”

Saying that he gave me one final look before marching off.

The goblin chief led the way, with his Warband closely falling behind me. The streets were covered with feculent bog. As I stepped further, my feet felt gradually sliding on mucky slough. We ploddingly reached what appeared to be the centre of the village.

In the middle, there was a boiling cauldron. Looking at the eager expression of the goblins, the cauldron must have seemed like a beacon of assurance projecting its auspiciousness to the doomed.

At a grunt from the goblin chief, a huge bowl was thrust into my hands. The thick wooden bowl held slurry.  The effluvium from the contents of the bowl smelled as if it were regurgitated by a barfy ogre. Not wanting to insult the hospitality of my unlikely host, I dug a spoon into the abominable gruel mixture that I held. Salvation came in the form of the Theko, who volunteered a boar picnic shoulder. Mentally thanking Theko for his timely help, I graciously accepted his offer.

“Thanks, but I am really tired and I need to sleep first. “

Hearing my words, the goblin chief spoke, “Beld says you need a place to rest. My hut is good. Mistress can use it. My warriors will protect when you sleep.” Saying that he pointed to his Warband with the pride of a kid introducing their toys to their peers.

“I am gracious for your great offer, Noble Chief. But I do not wish to intrude upon your generosity. I will find my own place to sleep. Not in the village, somewhere close by. I only request that I may not be disturbed. “

He seemed relieved to hear that I will not be staying in their village.

Having said that, I still wanted to show a sign of good faith. I requested water to drink citing a dry throat. I was offered water soon enough by two goblins carrying a basin. The water seemed to be freshly fetched and was refreshing. Once my thirst was quenched, I tapped Taltil on her shoulders.

“Can you take me to someplace quiet and nearby? I need to rest.”

Hearing my request, Maapu came up to me. His small group of admirers slowly followed his keeping a distance.

“Yes Grand Mistress, we will take you. We with grand Mistress now.” He beamed a smile of confidence as he pointed to his small group. It consisted of around fifteen goblins. They were all smaller than Maapu and most of them are young ones by their features.

“This group?” I queried.

“Yes, Grand Mistress, they friends. Tell about Mistress to friends. Will help Mistress now. All trust us. Now all follow Mistress. “

A few things came to my attention during our brief exchange. Foremost, the three goblins have already decided to follow me. I have no choice. Subsequently, they have also decided to bring their friends and now I have a small group to worry about.

Judging by my previous conversation with Beld, I am fairly assured that Beld would not see it as unfavourable.

So here I am, an exile thrust into leading a group of exiles. Fate has a twisted sense of cruelty.

23