[Arc I] Chapter 23 – A Kind Request
204 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time we reached the campsite, Dar and his two assistants have already packed and were ready to depart. Even the goblins were faster in their pillaging. They far exceeded my expectations.

Dar ran up to me as he saw me striding towards the campsite. He had a wide grin on his face, a grin wide enough for his lips to reach from one ear to another.

“Madame, I apologise for my behaviour before. Please forgive me. I am just a simple peddler. Your capabilities are far beyond my grasp” Dar apologised as he covered the distance between us at a fast pace.

“No need for apologising, Dar. You were worried about your earnings. Anyone would have reacted the same in your position.”

“I will definitely introduce you to more clients when we reach Westerleygates. I might be a humble peddler, but I swear to return the favour.” Dar's voice rose and for a moment it sounded as if he was ready to take an oath. His eyes were filled with determination and his legs rooted firmly to the ground.

“Before that, I might have some additional needs of your skills. We have some spoils of war.” My eyes followed a pair of goblins carrying a large Halberd and some vambraces towards the cart.

“Pray, tell Madame,” Dar became even more focussed at the mention of us requiring help.

“You can take all the loot. It would only hinder us on the way. Sell them as you see fit. But careful with the Armour and the shield. They seem to bear some crest. You do not want another Noble after you.” I chuckled. After a brief pause, Dar joined and we both had a hearty laugh.

“Definitely. I think I find a way to make...” Dar took a brief pause,” to get some money from them too. But would take a while.”

Dar seems to have some connection. If he is planning on laundering the Armour and the Shield, he definitely has contact with the local thieves guild.

“But Madame that would take a while and I am not certain how much they could be sold for.”

I understood his immediate concern.

“Dar, I am giving it to you. All the spoils. Let us call it a barter of some sort. In return, I would require a few things. Would you be able to procure them?”

“I would very well like to assist your band. But I am afraid a peddler like me does not have the means to obtain what you seek. If it is within my means, I will definitely get them for you.”

“Nothing too difficult. I would need some fresh woollen cloaks Not big ones, small ones. I think twenty-five would do. The same amount of rough bedding fabrics. Finally, I would need some tarp. The exact type and size, Arlene would help you. Can you Arlene?” I phrased it as a request.

The ranger simply nodded.

“The shortswords and the daggers will we take it with us. The rest is your Dar.” The half-elf showed her shrewd nature.

“I can get those in Westerleygates. But it would take me a day or two.... Is it agreeable?”

I stopped midstep. Two days. Not sure if Merrick could reach us in the intervening time. Furthermore, there is the eyepatch man with even more resources. A fresh batch of pursuers would be dispatched once he reports to his masters. This much I am certain. Though will they dare to attack us in the middle of a town is a question yet to be answered.

Sensing my rumination, Arlene cleared her throat. She gave me a slight assuring nod. A nod that had held more meaning than a verbal statement. She would watch out for Merrick. I would go with Dar’s offer.

“That will not be a problem. I am sure a day will not hinder our schedule by a lot.” I assured Dar.

“Then I shall obtain what you require.” saying that Dar attempted to make a grand bow as he left us to join his assistants.

Once I was certain that Dar was not within hearing distance, I whispered to Arlene, “Dar definitely has connections to the thieves guild. We need to keep an eye on his activity.”

Arlene simply sighed.


Westerleygates came into view just as the first rays of the sun greeted us. Even from a distance, it was clear that Westerleygates demands the status of a small city rather than a town. It was definitely bigger than Meranvale. The vague silhouette that one could make out at distance showed a semi-ordered pattern to the buildings. There was no huge defensive wall or any sort of formation marking the border of the city. Rather the outskirts were littered with small buildings which further panned out to smaller communities of houses clustered together which in term further gave way to small isolated barns and orchards.

No huge defensible walls, a clear lack of citadel of any form and cultivatable farmlands around, Westerleygates is unquestionably a city that grew out of necessity. From my position, I see neither any huge gate nor a huge archway that would give meaning to its name.

I signalled Dar who was eagerly driving his wagon towards our supposed safety.

“Dar, How do you want to go about once we enter the city? Anything that I should know about?” This was me trying to give Dar another option to come clean.

“Anything that I should know before we pass through the city gates? Just to get the fact straight before I utter something else to the gate guards.” I added.

“Actually, I usually enter the town as a wayfarer. The guards know that I am a peddler but since I do not bring wares into the town, they have nothing to go for. I do not enter the city at all. I carry out my business in the outer lying villages. Entry fee, taxes.... too much loss. Plus the city dwellers are not keen on my wares. I do not make a profit in the city.”

“So what is your plan?” I questioned Dar.

“I normally camp at any of the barns, if I find a friendly farmer. Usually, I barter or gift them some trinkets and in other situations, I offer to fix their fence or do some minor carpentry work in the house in exchange for their hospitality. There is usually a kindly widow in each settlement who needs a hand.”

“Is that so?” My words were filled with mordancy.

“Oh sorry Madame, You misunderstood me. I do not offer to warm their bed. It is just that, usually widowed women always have something the needs fixing in the house. Very often a friendly neighbour or a close relative would offer a helping hand, but there is only so much one can rely on such goodwill. “

Now that the peddler explained himself, it was hard to suspect him. Maybe I should pay attention to his so-called apprentices.


A little while after the sun rose above the horizon, our strange procession took a diversion from the main path towards the city. We paused a few moments while Dar exchanged friendly greetings with the inhabitants. Occasionally, he would stop by and chatter with willing folks for a bit longer. Since Dar has proven himself, I let him take the lead.

A few more windings turn later, we stopped in front of a small-sized farm with a barn on the side. Dar indicated of us to wait, while he approached the house alone. His approach was greeted with the loud barking of a guard dog. Soon another dog joined. Dar diligently approached the gate and waited for a response from the inhabitant of the house.

A sturdy woman of middle years appeared as the door opened. She wiped her hands on the apron around her waist. The apron was clean but it was clear that the apron has seen better days. The two exchanged for a few words before the woman glanced in my direction. Her eyebrows rose a bit as she noticed the dire boars and the goblins. She shook her head a few times.

Arlene who was silently observing the exchange from a distance slowly neared closer to me.

“You should probably go and greet. Would help ease things.”

The ranger was right. The woman was probably apprehensive of the peddler’s company and not the peddler himself.

“Good day, My lady,” I added the second part to make the conversation easy.

The barking of the two dogs became intense upon my presence.

“We would merely wish to stay for two nights. If you would be kind enough to offer us shelter. I promise, contrary to how my band appears we are specialised professionals. My Irregulars will keep to themselves.”

“Madame, the company is only filled with Lady Rylonvirah and an elven ranger Arlene. I have known the ranger for a while. She is an honourable girl. There are no men in their mercenary band. The goblins are docile and trained. I have travelled with them for the past few days. You need not fear any harm. Nothing will befall you and your friend.” Dar eloquently spoke with a gentle deportment.

“I don’t want any trouble. A peddler occasionally using our barn for camping is not a problem. But whole mercenaries? Don’t your people usually run to an inn to drink all your earnings? unless you are running away from someone or something?” She openly voiced her concern.

This time Dar took over the answering part.

“We only have short business in the city. Answering the patrol guards will take a while. Not worth the time. In fact, Lady Rylonvirah would have happily camped in the woods. I am the one who pulled them. We had a run-in with some bandits not far from here. Lady Rylonvirah and Arlene bravely defended my wagon. I offered them some rewards but Lady Rylonvirah refused. Accepting such a sum is beneath the Lady. My mistake. So I am trying to get her some nice deals on essentials in the city. Please do not mistake, I am the one who is keeping her here.” Again Dar exposed his silver tongue and I am a Lady now or rather I am a Lady again.

“What about those creatures?” She pointed towards the goblins with contempt.

“Will they keep away from the flower beds? confine themselves to their enclosure or whatever? My friend has put a lot of effort into those Orchids” She referred to the neatly lined purple coloured flowers on their walkway. “She hates it even when our dogs get close.”

“No fears, Ma’am. I assure you they will not leave their designated place.” Dar took the initiative again.

“Wait here. let me have a word with my friend.” saying that she promptly disappeared into her house again.

“I think we will be able to camp here for the next two or three days,” Dar uttered to me with an assuring grin.

She returned back a few moments later, “Just use the barn. I will restrain the dogs but keep your goblins away from them. We love them like our sons. Just so you know.”

Love them like their sons. Yes. Got it. So that is how it is.

Dar left back to his wagon after thanking the woman.

As soon as Dar was out of earshot, “I am really grateful for your hospitality. I assure you, your wife will not find any reason to complain.” saying that I winked at her as I left her dumbfounded. Takes one to find another.


With the help of a borrowed rope from Dar, Arlene marked the boundary for the goblins. We gave explicit instruction to Maapu and Theko to remind the goblins that they are not to move out of the marked location. I would have preferred Arlene to accompany Dar into the city but She should her reluctance. Furthermore, the ranger had a valid point. Her skills would be needed to keep an eye on any pursuers. There is also the question of the two dire boars who should be kept calm. All things considered, it was irrevocably evident that Arlene would have to stay back.

The sun was well over the horizon when we started to prepare breakfast if it would be called breakfast. It was more of an early lunch. While Theko prepared the usual gruel for the goblins, Dar rushed towards us with Razzia close behind.

“Please allow me to show my gratitude. Nemeash has prepared a bigger breakfast for all of us”

Not wishing to offend Nemeash’s effort, I gave the sign to Theko and we all moved towards the bigger pot which Nemeash was stirring.

Soon pieces of fresh bread were passed around followed by some berry flavoured Marmalade.

“Got the bread from a baker on the way. The marmalade, I bought from the barn owner” Dar offered an explanation.

Soon, a thick soup filled bowl came from Nemeash. The soup had a slightly spicy flavour with pieces of meat floating around. I took a bite and found them to be fresh meat.

“I take it that you also found a butcher on our way, Dar,” I said playfully.

“No Madame, that was from the cellar of the barn owner. I bought their meat as well. In turn, promised to fix their barn door, the roof needs a bit of thatching, some owl nests to clear, and such,” Dar offered further information.

“That would take more than two days, Dar.”

“Yes, I would stay here for a few more days. At least until I find another person to drive the other wagon with me.” Dar said as he finished his bread.

“What about your two assistants?” My curiosity was now piqued.

“Well, they are not apprentices or assistants in the strict sense. They usually join me when they feel like it. And they both wanted to take a break in Westerleygates. Not that I could blame them after last night’s ambush. If I may say, I would rather go to an inn, drink myself for the night.” Dar shook as if recalling the blood spilt during last night’s conflict.

“Can’t say that I would blame you. Even seasoned soldiers need a break after a bloody conflict”

“But first, I will procure those items for you and then hopefully offload some of those weapons. And if luck favours, both could be done in a days job. That would fit with Nemeash and Razzia’s plan as well. Both of them wanted to leave for Westerleygates immediately. I have asked them to hold on for two more days. But they have both set their minds.” Having finished his sentences Dar reached out and grabbed for another loaf of bread.

“So what about your wares? Who will guard them?”

“Well, no one. I am just hoping no one in the neighbourhood has any fancy ideas. At least for the first two days when you mercenaries are here, that would deter some eyes. But after that, I have to leave it to whatever comes. That is how it has always been.”

Dar’s words made one thing clear. There is nothing important about his wares except for his livelihood. There aren’t any contraband or high worth items. Dar himself is unaware of the real motive behind last night’s attack.

At the corner of my eyes, I spotted Razzia edging closer to Arlene. She uttered something to Arlene which the ranger dismissed offhandedly. But the girl persisted and she spoke more. The second attempt invoked a stiff response from Arlene and she silently nodded to the girl.

In the meanwhile, Nemeash nudged closer to me, dredging through the sea of goblins who were attracted to the soup like moths to candlelight.

“Is the soup up to your liking?” questioned Nemeash.

“Refreshing and delicious. Thanks for the wonderful breakfast.” I gave him my approval. Not that he needed, Nemeash’s soup was indeed rich and flavourful.

“Too bad, we won’t be able to enjoy your culinary skills again. Dar mentioned that you will be leaving.” I looked directly at Nemeash as I said those words.

He wore a controlled smile as he answered, “That is right. Been thinking of taking a break from life on the road. Wanted to get back to city life. See what the big city has to offer. Try some new opportunities”

“You know, if it doesn’t work out, you are always welcome. I could use another hand.” Dar finished stating his opinion and slowly moved, “Now if you excuse me, I need to bring water for the horses.”

Nemeash seated himself in the place previously occupied by Dar.

“So what do you plan to do now in the city?”

Nemeash tapped with his fingers on the plate he was holding. For a moment, it appeared he ignored my question. After taking a mouthful and slowly swallowing, he finally spoke, “I have a sort of a friend in the city. Would visit them first. Then whatever comes my way”

Nemeash was deliberately elusive with his answers.

“What do you specialise in, if I may ask?” With the question, it was Nemeash’s turn to get on the offensive.

“What do you think?” I answered his question with another of my own. My motive has more to do with buying some time rather than placing him in an uncomfortable situation.

“Definitely not regular guards or even caravanserai. Not patrol guards or border skirmishes.” He concluded. His assessment was precise.

“I am impressed. We are saboteurs and tunnel fighters. Though we usually do escort or rescue missions it has mostly something to do with either digging tunnels or fighting in closed spaces.”

“Saboteurs and rescue missions.... That is an unlikely combination.”

“Not exactly, How do you think ransoming of Nobles work? You load your cart with gems and hopes that the other party holds their side of the bargain? That is where we come into play. We are the perfect group to blend into the most dangerous situations. Also, most of our clients prefer a measure of discreteness. For obvious reasons and We are inconspicuous.”

“That explains why I never heard of your name in Sarenthill?”

“How familiar are you with Sarenthill?” I took the opportunity to turn the table. It was now my turn to interrogate.

“Well only in passing.” He gave his best shrug.

“But well enough to remember prominent mercenary companies?” I prodded further.

“Now if you put it that way, I take odd jobs and come in contact with all sorts.” Nemeash struggled with words as if he was pondering on whether to delve into more information or continue the pretext.

His ruminations can to an end when Arlene furiously came in.

Taking the cue, Nemeash vaguely excused himself and vacated the place for Arlene.


Arlene sat close to me but she was not her usual self. She clenched her wrist tightly while the muscles in her jaw held tight. Her foot tapped nervously while she remained silent for a few moments.

“I think it is Razzia,” Arlene muttered under her breath.

“How?”

“She asked if I would help her make some quick coins. Said I could do it as a side job. Just observe”

“Observe? what exactly?”

“That is where she was very vague. She asked if there were any dwarven runic objects or symbols”

“Dwarven runes?”

“Wait, it gets even more curious. She also wanted to look out for any high elves who are looking or in possession of such objects and symbols.”

And with that, our whole investigation took a weird turn.

“That is close to impossible. The high elves hate dwarven products.” I whispered.

“That is beside the point,” Arlene moved forwards and lowered her face further, “can you not see. She is a spy and someone is out to get her.”

15