[Arc I] Chapter 27 – The Second Attempt
212 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days, we travelled through the well-established road to Sarenthill. The road was pavemented but the wear and tear were obvious in some segments. We would occasionally pass through other travellers, bands and caravans heading in both directions. On friendlier ones, we would even stop to exchange pleasantries. Twice we passed through camping locations where we had the pleasure of sharing our solace with few other travellers.

Arlene did investigate when the chance offered itself on any information regarding Merrick or Nemeash’s mysterious adversary. So far we learned nothing of any significant importance. Most of the travellers had no knowledge of anything relevant to the happenings in Korvanor’s region. As for our mysterious adversary, it was hard to gain knowledge about an enemy who is unknown. So we kept it to a general search of any large group of armed men.

The members of Aberrant Irregulars fell into a routine by the sixth day. Every morning before we broke camp, Arlene would specify the details of the day’s plan. Taltil would lead a group of goblins, to scout our path. She still maintained her animosity towards Arlene. Maapu would travel with the main party while ordering the other goblins. Compared to Taltil, Maapu seemed to have lessened his antagonism towards the ranger. The only one who surprised me was Theko.

Ignoring Theko’s physical growth, his social skills have grown appreciably. For one, his vocabulary was far more developed than when I got to know him first. Secondly, Theko seemed to be the only one to whom Arlene was patient enough to explain any questions or other facts. Furthermore, even the fae seemed to tolerate Theko’s presence. She would on occasions, even send the goblin on minor errands for her. But the most astonishing fact was that somehow Theko while driving the carriage also seemed to have made a rapport with Syrune. A few times, I spotted Theko even getting inside the carriage. On the evening after making supper, Theko would occasionally sit with the mage, though the topic of their conversation was as baffling as the two unlikely folks who sat together.

Syrune, for most of the journey, preferred to stay within the comfort of his carriage. Observing the mage, it became evident that Syrune either lacked the ability to perform simple tasks or was rather uninterested. It was impossible to infer the motivating factor when it involved the mage. Even more perplexing was his attitude towards us.


It was on the night of the eighth day when I made the decision to invite the reclusive mage to share the supper with us. Arlene, as expected, was not amazed at my decision. Her mentor, Vitalia, still held her grudge against Syrune for calling her out.

A few stumps served as our seats while we held the bowl containing the gruel in our hand. Syrune sat opposite me while Arlene sat a bit farther away. Vitalia opted to flutter in the air instead of being on the ground.

“Is the food to your liking?” I tried to start the conversation with a simpler topic.

“Given the circumstance, it is the best, I cannot complain and I am thankful for the food,” answered Syrune. His gaze wandered around me from the top of my head, he let his eyes go down towards my shoulders, then slowly his view narrowed towards my chest and it stood there for a while before he deliberately let it focus on my arms and towards my torso and waist.

His gaze, there was definitely something else to it, then simple lust. During my prime, I had enough experience to know the lustful gaze. I did not bother interrupting whatever process he was going through but rather I wanted to let it continue to gather more about the Mage. He further looked intently at the way I sat, the way I balanced my body, the way I held the bowl in my hand, the way my legs crossed.

He was not interested in my body but rather he was studying my mannerism. At least that was part of his gaze, the other part, I was uncertain.

“It is kind of strange to see a planar mage travelling.” Vitalia prodded Syrune with her statement.

“Sometimes it is a necessity. But you are right, I usually limit myself to my own studies. They are fascinating in their own accord.” Syrune was again in his polite self.

“So I take it that this journey was pertaining to your research?” asked Vitalia.

“Not exactly, I had a few clarifications to make. But not relevant to my primary topic of research. Just some obligations to colleagues, “ shrugged Syrune.

“You mean with the sapiarchs?” questioned Vitalia.

“No, not with the sapiarchs, they are more of bureaucrats than mages at this point. This was something of an unofficial request from a friend from Mages Collective. My mentor had a great relationship with him but in his absence, I decided to step in to provide whatever I can.” offered Syrune.

“Is your master a planar mage too?” I enquired.

“No. No... not at all. I am the only one who specialised in extraplanar theories. Vangere has or... had his own interest and they are varied. He is brilliant but would usually hop from one interest to another. If you want to go with standards then Grand Alchemist is what would be closer to describe.”

Vangere...... So he is a student of Vangere. The more interesting revelation is that Vangere took a young protege. For all my experience, Vangere was one who preferred to devote time to his own curious interests and detested taking additional responsibilities.

“You are not certain if your mentor is still alive? I sense that you used two different tenses while describing.” I wanted to know more.

“Well, that is the surprising fact. I think it must have been a decade since I last heard from him. He is that sort of person. So I don’t know. He might be still alive conducting his research somewhere. It would not surprise me if one fine day, I suddenly receive a summon from him.” uttered Syrune while his voice gradually tapered as if he had trouble articulating his own feelings.

But one thing was indisputably true on what he said about Vangere. The old mage is indeed and exactly the kind of person as Syrune described.

Vitalia’s academic curiosity took over and soon the two of them started on a very private but equally animated discussion.

The remaining two of us decided to call it a night. Since we were within a day’s reach of Sarenthill, I did not want the goblins to wander on their own. Sarenthill is officially a free city but with a huge High-elven community, I was uncertain how they would respond to goblins and hence I decided to call off the scouting parties. In Hindsight, that gave us a chance to witness something horrible and spectacular at the same time.


Sarenthill was not yet in view but Vitalia and Syrune assured me that we would have the city in eyesight before the day ends. My thoughts were filled with the oncoming negotiation with Nemeash’s client. Surely, they will not easily accept my offer, even with a positive endorsement from Nemeash. They would definitely want to keep things as legal as possible with enough paperwork. I would have to beg the fae to read the terms of the contract when it comes to that point.

We were extremely lethargic when we spotted the knight on the side. He was not on the march but just idling on the side of the road. Beside him stood a midnight black courser, fully adorned with ebony black armour. The knight himself might have appeared gallant if it weren’t for his gait. His armet covered head focussed in our direction for a single heartbeat before he gave a nod and turned towards us. His armour was well maintained and even the sabaton that on his feet were polished.

The armoured Knight slowly raised his hand as if to deliver a friendly greeting and I would have done the same had it not been for the heraldry sign engraved on his chest piece. The same symbol of a sharp blade piercing through a thorny or leafy branch. Soon enough, the others emerged from the thickets.

Most of those who emerged were lightly armoured and a few with leather armours. None were as heavily armoured as the knight, There was no tower shields or halberdiers this time. No archers either. Once the others finally came into full view, I counted around twenty this time. They learned and adapted their strategy.

“Mages, this time,” Arlene who silently stood next to me finally spoke.

“This would be troublesome,” for the first time Vitalia openly voiced her fears.

And soon the reason for Vitalia’s fear became apparent. The summoned outsiders appeared.

The first to appear was the bloodfiends and then they were dwarfed by the lesser deathdrinkers. While the bloodfiends were terrifying on their own with razor sharp-clawed hands on all four of their arms, the lesser deathdrinkers made them seems like a shrub next to a mighty oak. Each of the lesser deathdrinkers was a full three heads taller than any grown adult male High-elf. Their gigantic greatswords and extended horns were every bit threatening and promised a death filled with agony to anyone who dared to challenge them.

The shadows of two winged creatures soon came into view. I looked up to see two eyrines swoop down in a smooth motion, followed by a cornugon. Demons and Devils all summoned in one place. I recalled my earlier advice to Arlene and this is not a fight I would want to get involved in. The summoner and the conjurors must have been top grade for each summoner to contract multiple outsiders. Furthermore, they were able to hold Demons and Devils in the same location. The mages were definitely not an average sort.

While the demons on their own might pose a different sort of challenge, the devils brought additional complications. With a lack of silver weapons, blessed relics, blessed or holy weapons, our chance of survival lay in fleeing. Then the Xivkyns appeared finally followed by the spiderkith captain. With that, the idea of fleeing was no longer an option.

“I think I will take the little one,” Arlene said pointing to the spiderkith captain.

“He is the most dangerous opponent of all. He can swing his two blades while casting spells. Agile and fleet-footed. Even trained drow armies would avoid him,” I muttered irritably under my breath.

“So after your commendable performance the last time, We decided to greet you with a bit more power.” The Knight spoke finally.

“What makes you believe defeating us would be beneficial to you in any way. In case you did not notice, your object or person of interest is no longer in our protection.” I tried to sound assertive though my voice still trembled.

“Yes, you are travelling to Sarenthill and even hired a Mage to protect yourselves. correct?”

“I am not hired by them. They work for me instead,” corrected Syrune.

I did not notice the presence of Syrune or when he got out of his carriage. Contrary to the rest of us, Syrune did not seem bothered by the summoned army in front of us. He seemed more annoyed and irritated at his peaceful leisure time which was disturbed.

The goblins instinctively understood the threat in front of them and quickly fell back attempting to put as much distance between themselves and the monstrosities. Even the otherwise ferocious dire boars cowered in fear.

“Our agents told us that the hired seeker was not successful in meeting with his contact and here you are travelling straight towards Sarenthill, so you are carrying something of value. That is the most logical conclusion.” The knight spoke as he held his hand out to the mages behind him as if giving them a sign.

He continued further, “Since our last encounter was one-sided, We decided to even the playing field. No more slaughtering under the guise of darkness. Plus our present army would not even be perturbed by any form of minor spells that your companions might conjure.”

The Knight was right. Nothing in Vitalia’s arsenal would help us win this fight.

“You are probably thinking of banishing spells. We took care of those. Our agents informed us that Syrune over there is more of a bookish scholar than a practical mage. A mage with certain proclivities.”

“Do not involve me in your petty squabbles. I have the least interest in your mundane affairs.” contemptuously responded Syrune. He then slowly proceeded towards his carriage.

“I will try to stall the Spiderkith captain, You inform the rest to scatter. Do not take anything,” I whispered for preparing myself for the inevitable.

I would not survive the day. The best I could hope was to buy sometimes for the rest. I am certain Vitalia would do everything in her power to protect her Mentee. Hopefully, there should be some fae enclave or glade nearby for them to seek refugee. If luck holds us the protective wards there should dispel the outsiders. The dire boars would be butchered and for the rest of the goblins, I could only hope that any of them would make out alive. If anyone who has a maximum chance of making it out it was Syrune.

“A wise decision Syrune, if I may call you that,” the armoured Knight spoke again,” We have nothing against you, personally. In fact, If I may, could I request you to keep this whole affair silent. My superiors would rather not directly go against a member of the mages collective.”

The Knight took a brief pause before continuing, “Given your tendencies, I have been ordered to provide you with playthings. Not your usual slave girls in chains. You will find our gifts to be of a different quality,”

Syrune stopped midstep.

“We all have our quirks. No judgements there, You made the right call, You are among friends now,” declared the Knight as he extended both his arms slowly outwards as if surrendering any argument in Syrune’s favour.

“And what made you presume to know where my interests lie?” Syrune voice was different. It was a more base and deep booming one not his usual tenor.

“We should step away from Syrune,” Vitalia was loud and her voice held panic.

“This is definitely not good. Those poor mages have no idea what is forthcoming,” the fae uttered again.

There was a brief pause. A sort of silence like the calm before a storm. Only Vitalia knew what to expect and she seemed to be in a hurry.

“I suppose this would do,” Syrune finally declared. He said his words in a calm and serene manner. The way he stressed syllables and his intonations were as lucid and articulate as a chaste maiden taking a sanctified oath.

A lot happened in the next instant. One of the lesser deathdrinker disappeared along with the xivkyns. The Spiderkith captain turned on the attendants who stood nearby. After what seemed like a bit of a struggle the bloodfiends disappeared. The cornugon took to the skies hoping that the distance would protect it from the onslaught of the spiderkith captain. But the spiderkith captain was persistent in his assault. He leapt to close the gap and in mid-air aimed his twin slashes at the leathery wings of the cornugon.

I struggled to process the scene unfolding before my eyes.

“Banishment?” I screamed at the first word that appeared in my head.

“Definitely not. They returned to their plan on their own accord,” Vitalia gave her opinion while still trying to put some distance between.

The spiderkith captain landed deftly on his feet just in time to counter the huge arc made by the remaining lesser deathdrinker with his huge greatsword. The spiderkith captain took the full blow of the greatsword on his twin swords and used the momentum of the arc to dodge roll away. The two eyrines circling above converged on what would have been the landing position of the spiderkith captain, except at the last moment, the outsider decided to return to his own realm.

“Now it is starting, the farther the better,” the fae was up to her mysterious warning again.

At first, it was nothing and then it appeared right where the mage who tried to control the eyrines stood. It was like a disjointed piece in a painting. Something that is there and yet does not belong there. A distortion. A rejection in reality. Finally, a reorganisation. At first, it appeared as if the skin was being pulled apart and then pulled inside. Next, there was a simultaneous implosion of the skin and clothing as well as an explosion of the internal organs. In effect, the poor mage was inside out. His two summons were nowhere to be seen or at least not in this plane.

The cornugon screamed sending a deathly chill through the surrounding before it returned to its original plane. But the wailing continued. Except it issued from its unfortunate summoner. The summoner went down on his knees and drooled uncontrollably as the strange words started to issue from his mouth. It was soon replaced by a soft lullaby which the mage sang in spite of his state.

“Interesting but not unexpected,” calmly spoke Syrune with a manner of someone examing an extremely valuable item, “So this is how the cognitive tries to make sense of the events when caught.”

A splat occurred nearby Syrune which took away his attention and prevented him from indulging in a monologue. The unfortunate victim of the splat was another mage who controlled the remaining lesser deathdrinker. One half of his body lay on the ground as if cut with an extremely hot flaming blade while the other part splattered all over the surroundings. With that, the final of the summon demon also disappeared.

“Summons, bindings, contracts. In the end, they are nothing but puppets with strings. Cut the strings and who knows where the puppets fall. Do they fall to their original plane? or turn back on their conjurers? or just please their own nature? Had you learned the fundamentals of your own spells, you would have known the answer.” Syrune’s words flowed through the carnage.

Syrune’s eyes fixed on one of the mages who stood close to the Knight.

“I would urge you to reconsider, Alchemist. What was it that you were aiming for? a fire serpent spell? Ask yourself how many extraplanar components does the spell invoke? Do you anchor yourself to the spell or cast and let it go? If you do not know the answer, I would advise against casting it. You have witnessed the effect of Planar harmonic disruption on spatial dimensions.” warned Syrune while beholding the poor summoner who was now nothing more than a jumbled mess of flesh and bones.

The whole ordeal was over within a few heartbeats and yet none of us could muster the courage to move. For the brief moment, I considered the advantage of taking the Knight as a prisoner but quickly abandoned the plan as that would involve handing him over to the authorities in Sarenthill. An action that would inevitably bring the justiciars into the fray. There is also the response from Leyandur to consider. From the manner in which Nemeash outlines, Leyandur would probably want fewer public eyes and so in the end, I decided to leave the catatonic Knight, collect my mercenaries and move towards Sarenthill.

13