[Arc I] Chapter 32 – The Battle in the Bog – I
211 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The battle scene was difficult for me write but now that it is finished, I feel that there are certain parts which could be improved. Hopefully, I will do a soft rewrite soon.

 

I pulled Arlene and Vitalia aside as our weird procession started moving unwillingly in the direction of the bog.

“Vitalia, I would need some preparations done. I have two important requests to make of you.”

“What would you have me do?”

“First, could you use your affinity with the wind to keep the air clean around them?” I said pointing to the column behind us. “Also lower the air circulation in the areas surrounding once we choose a spot in the bog. I would like the attackers who reach us to be as dizzied or light-headed as possible.”

“And the second?” the fae wasted no time.

“Could you help with the growth of some surrounding vegetation, maybe plants that would hinder progress? But leave them one path open. My aim is to create a bottleneck for the enemy. That is the only way we can take them with a smaller force.”

“The vegetation in the bog is usually sparse. Even with my powers, within a narrow time, I cannot enhance growth. Also, it is a bog, not an ideal place.” The fae spoke with hesitation.

“Do not worry. I am not asking for a thick impenetrable wall. Just a small region surrounding us where the attackers are slowed down and their response time, a bit slower. I am planning to let the gypsies equipped with bows do the rest. “

“Understood. I will see to it, but I should warn you, the really young ones and the elderly will not survive in the bog for long. Four to five days. Just so you know.” cautioned Vitalia.

I thanked her and turned my attention to the ranger.

“Arlene, I have three tasks for you. First, you would be leading the path in the bog and you will select an appropriate location for us to make our stance. Secondly, collect any poison frogs or lizards or other poisons that you could collect in the bog. We are going to poison our weapons. Let Taltil, know what to collect. She would get the goblins to do the rest. Finally, get the dire boars ready. You and me, along with the goblins, we will harass them when opportunity provides.”

“Got it. We are going to thin the herd them?” She asked as she tried to keep pace with me.

“No, on the contrary, we are going to scare the herd.” I grimaced.

Once I was certain that the first part of my plan was in motion. I sought out Rodo.

Rodo was in the company of a few other people when I approached him.

“Greetings, Rylon or should I call you by some military title? Considering that you are now leading us? Maybe we should make you our commander.” He gave a hearty laugh to his companions.

“I have to discuss our attack plan with you.”

Rodo and his companions fell silent as they heard my words.

“You have our ears.”

“Now we are both new to each other, so I am unaware of your skills. But if what you said about night raids on them is true. Your group must have some skills. So I thought this would be an ideal time to get to know each other.”

“Know your friends well. A wise choice.” He bared his canine teeth as he smiled.

“So how good are you in close combat?”

“I would say we excel in close combat. The stench of the bog might be a bit difficult to endure but that will not deter us,” promised Rodo.

“For the first part of the fight, we will focus on their mercenaries. We will proceed with hit and run tactics till the charge begins. We are not trying to thin their numbers rather be to scare them cowardly ones. So tell me, how brutal can you go?”

“If a display of carnage is what you want, we will let our bloodlust guide our actions.” As Rodo completed his words, all his companions grimaced.

“Secondly, We are going to let a few pitfalls around where we make our stand. So please make sure you know the path. That would be all. Do you have any questions?”

“So we are just going to scare the weak ones, what if we meet their trained units?”

“Avoid them at all cost. Your target order: go after their alchemists and archers if they are unprotected or if you see the chance. Failing which go after their supply depots, though I do not expect them to be unprotected.”

“Understood, no pitch battles during the first part.”

I sensed that Rodo had no further questions for me and the silhouette of Ellie along with Armin and Nemeash passed my vision. I excused myself and ran to catch up with Ellie.

“Ellie, just the person I was looking for.”

“Rylon, do have confidence in that plan of yours?” Ellie openly voiced her concern.

“Ellie, It is not a sure victory plan. War is always unpredictable. That is the nature of conflicts. But our current plan gives us an edge to survive.” I assured her.

“So it is not certain that we will all make it out alive?”

“If everything proceeds as per my strategy, most of us will get out of this unharmed.” I held Ellie’s trembling hands and gave them a reassuring pat.

“Nemeash, now is not the time but I have some information from Leyandur. But that can wait, till we get out of here.”

“So are we working together then?” Nemeash’s guess was right on spot.

“Yes, we are. I have the papers for it. Though it would be proper to say that officially you are our employer now.”

“Then I am happy to announce that I have found two more pieces. Now only the last piece eludes us.”

“Ma’am, what exactly do you need from me?” This was the first time Armin spoke, cutting my conversation with Nemeash short.

“Just breathe fire around occasionally when the fight begins.” I explained, “also do not stay at one spot. Frequently shout something like “Hold it”, or “call the salamander back”, that should keep the panic from spreading in the enemies.”

The red-headed youth finally gave a knowing nod.

“One more thing, thanks to the good-hearted fae, we would have a protection circle around us. The air pressure outside would be different, So be cautious.”

Again, the youth was tongue-tied in my presence but he managed to deliver an affirmative gesture.


“We will take the lead,” I said to Rodo was standing near me to the left.

I was already mounted on Mrs Bellyrumble and on my right Arlene sat on Mr Snout. Each of the assembled goblins held a rough wooden spear tipped with poison and some bow with arrows.

We have already chosen a spot to make our stand. Though it was of Arlene’s choosing, I put my faith in her judgement. It was a bit after dusk.

“The coming morning is when the real attack would commence. But I would like to use this night to skirmish them. The more they scatter the better for us.”

“So what happens tomorrow?” Rodo spoke his mind.

“One of the two possibilities depending on the enemy commander. Either, they would start with a cavalry charge or will send one of those larger bandits or mercenaries to measure our strength. Which one, I cannot say. “

“So we change the plan accordingly?” he asked.

“The plan will remain the same. The only difference is if it is a cavalry we make sure none of them survives.” I grinned and hoped that they make such a foolish mistake.

I heard no further questions from Rodo and as the darkness set fell upon the bog, I signalled The Aberrant Irregulars to move.

The dire boars moved as if they were unhindered by the bog. It appeared as if our mounts instinctively knew their footing in the terrain.

We proceeded well into the night before I spotted the first of our pursuers. It was not the main camp or even the sentries from the main camp, but one of their outer group.

Arlene gave a nod and prepared her bow. She was offered an awl pike from one of Rodo’s companions but she refused instead opting for her trusty bow alone.

“Give me support. I will charge,” I whispered to her.

Next, Taltil took the clue from me and slowly progressed with the other goblins falling behind. Once I was certain that the goblins were in position, I gave the nod to Arlene and the first scream of our enemy broke through the night.

I urged my mount to rush at the nearest opponent. My victim’s eyes widened when he saw the dire boar rushing towards him and he attempted to point his crude spear in the direction of his oncoming death. The spear did very little to hinder his fate. The crude spear made contact with the narrow cheek of Mrs Bellyrumble and broke upon impact. One of the broken ends of the spear thrust into the man’s abdomen.

His companion, close to him reacted as fast as he could, by twisting his upper body, sending his battle axe into a long arc in my direction. The axe stuck the tusk of my mount with a dull sound but my mount ignored the momentum of the blow and edged forwarded opening its ravening jaw. In a heartbeat, Mrs Bellyrumble gored through the man and tossed him aside like a ragdoll.

The wailing scream of the dying victims now echoed through the silent night and more spears and clubs were raised in response. But the dire boar was sturdy. The thick mud-cracked hide made my mount shrug off most blows. And the few brave ones who were foolish enough to get close to me were gored by the dire boar. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Maapu along with a few other goblins closing the gap and I urged my mount forward further into the oncoming host of armed men. I intended to fully keep their attention focussed on me.

The mass of armed men falling in my path increased. The initial momentum of my charge slowed down with every additional moment and soon long spears and Javelins were aimed at me. I dodged a first few attempts at me before Maapu with his group closed the distance. Their poison coated weapons were every bit deadly if not deadlier than the gore attack from the dire boar. Soon I was joined by Arlene on her side who proved superior in her skills with riding a dire boar.

As I watched, Arlene directed her dire boar to charge up the host of men assaulting me and as she neared the group, she manoeuvred her mount to a wide-angled turn. As her mount made the turn, its body slammed a few of my assailants. I heard the cracking of a few ribs from the hapless victims caught between both the dire boars while the rest who were thrown of their feet did not fare better. Maapu and the other goblins were soon upon them.

“There,” I shouted to Arlene and aimed her towards a carriage at a distance.

“Follow me, I will lead,” beckoned Arlene without waiting for a response.

I followed the ranger on my mount towards the carriage.

Arlene was the better rider among the two of us and it was no surprise that her mount impacted the carriage first. The wooden carriage shuddered from the impact. The ranger turned her mount around and went for a second charge. A few unfortunate souls attempted to block her passage and learned the hard way, with their life, on the futility of trying to stop the oncoming charge of a dire boar. Arlene’s mount crashed into the carriage for a second time but she did not urge her mount to make a turn. Her mount stood still upon the impact and a moment later dug a bit deep with its tusked snout. Finally, with a heave, the dire boar overturned the carriage and with that fell the weapons trove.

Arlene had a huge grin on her face when she turned towards me and shouted, “The next one, I leave it to you.”

I did not bother delivering an answer to her immediately, for, in the upturned weapons trove, my eyes spotted the ideal weapon for the situation.

“Theko, grab a few of the Awl Pikes,” I shouted towards the goblins as I rode towards the smashed carriage.

I dismounted quickly and grabbed two awl pikes that I could immediately lay my hands on. As I saw Arlene approach me with curiosity, I tossed the awl pikes at her which she caught with ease.

“Now the carnage begins.”

She grinned like a maniac as she comprehended the meaning of my words.

We scattered the opponents who we encountered. Most had a few heartbeats left between the time they laid their eyes on us and their own impending death. The bog was a cruel terrain. Their movements were hindered. Their onward charge was hindered. Escaping was hindered. The dire boars, in contrast, wadded through the mud effortlessly. The wisest among them immediately recognised their flaws and attempted to flee.

Both of us charged with the awl pikes held forward. We ran through a few with the awl pike and the few who were lucky to avoid the charge, we thrust the awl pikes at their vitals. Those who survived our charge soon met the poisoned weapons from the goblins.

I recognised one desperate last-ditch effort when I heard a commanding shout among the enemies. Soon a bunch of them attempted to converge on my position. Arlene’s dire boar made a narrow circular turn. The ranger stretched her weapon outward and made an extended arc with her awl pike. The langets of her weapon glistened with a dark purple hue from the poison coating. Those caught in her arc still ignored the gash they received and attempted to organise themselves back into a fighting force. But the poison found its way and none of them would live to see the daylight.

I charged in the direction from which the commands were shouted. My awl pike went straight through the person who I presumed was the one in charge. His last attempt at commands was muffled by his own painful bawl.

We pushed a bit further and encounter two smaller parties and we set them fleeing after two charges. Soon we both synchronised our attacks and learned to work in tandem. While I prefer a direct charge, Arlene favoured swinging in a wide arc. But the overall result was that our enemies panicked and abandoned us.

“We should return now. They would be responding to the screams now. Any moment, we can expect the veteran unit or worse their archers.” I said to her.

Arlene’s eyes wandered to the distance and fixated on the figures of the distant group. Orcs.

I froze immediately. I never calculated the presence of an orc raiding band in my plans.

“Maapu, pull back fast, Now.” I issued my order.

While the goblins retreated hastily, I stood my ground and watched the movement of the orcs. Arlene waited by my side.

“What about them?” asked the ranger.

“If they make a move, we will have a hard time. They know their way around wetlands. We won’t be able to catch them off guard.” I uttered with worry.

“Not to mention, they will not freeze seeing a dire boar,” added Arlene for her part.

I stood and gazed at the orcs. A few more orcs trickled in and soon they assembled themselves.

“What are they waiting for?” I spoke my thoughts unconsciously.

As an answer to my question, another orc came into view. The mannerism with which the new orc carried itself made it evident. The raid leader has come at last. From the distance, the gender of the raid leader was difficult to infer. The raid leader turned in our direction but quickly returned their attention to their own raid party. A few exchanges later, most of the orcs returned while a few still stood and observed us.

“What do you think that means?” questioned the ranger.

“I think it is safe to assume that the raid leader does not want to engage us now.” I gave my opinion.

“Why?”

“Probably because they know that they might emerge victoriously but not without taking losses. Playing it safe, if I should make a guess. Anyway let's return back”


Rodo and his companions were waiting for us.

“That is a lot of blood you spilt. Hope none of them is yours,” said Rodo as I neared.

“No, not our own.” I laughed at Rodo’s friendly banter.

“So are we clear to go? We have been itching for this.”

“Before you leave, if you see the orcs, avoid them and conserve your energy. At daybreak, they will begin their attack.”

“Orcs, you say? Wanted to try our strength against them. Wonder if they are strong enough.” Rodo openly spoke his thoughts.

“No risks, stick to the plan.” I cautioned Rodo.

“Sure,” Rodo answered with a lethargic attitude.

Then, Rodo and his companions, all thirty of them, stripped and started walking naked towards the enemy camp and soon the bone-chilling howling came.

 



SHOUT-OUT



 

Three different story lines, all intertwined, with strong queer girls.  A fast paced page turner - Apathine - by Beatrice

Enjoy an all queer cast with a well-written prose. 

 

13