[ Arc II – The Curseforged City] – Chapter 66 – Solitude and Gifts.
95 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning sun rose and in its ray glanced the tower of Octant Laboratory, bathing the hovering tower an ashen radiance. Octant Laboratory stood amidst the crumbling structures, like a diamond in the coal.

Vangere definitely has enchantments placed on Octant Laboratory. The old mage hated cleaning and more importantly maintaining things. Hence it stands to reason that his enchantment would have been placed to work even in his absence and are plausibly responsible for the pristine state of the tower.

As eight shadows fell over Arlond and blocked the sun. Their approach swift and encircled Octant Laboratory. Dominion Gryphons. The gigantic cousins of Ryleval. Zelaphiel was quick on the move.

Taking a deep breath to stabilise my erratic breathing, I cast another glance at the Dominion Gryphons. The aerial bulwarks of the High-elves. Bigger, Stronger and sturdier. Also a huge drain on battle budgets.

So Lady Stormaire indeed managed to keep her promise but succeeded partly. Otherwise, Zelaphiel would have scouted with one of the smaller and faster Gryphons. On a positive note, the presence of the Dominion Gryphon means that their main force should arrive within a day or two.

With the knowledge of the arrival timing of the High-elven force, I picked up the pace and marched towards, Octant Laboratory.


The inside of the compound, providing Octant Laboratory with its isolation from the rest of Arlond, betrayed the grim look that befall the rest of the city. A smooth cobblestone pavemented pathway snaked up to the big metal-framed door. On the sides, small shrubs, hedges and a gazebo stood devoid of the deterioration that reigned the rest of Arlond.

As I tread cautiously towards the door, a skeevaton appeared and scuttled away in the direction of windblown debris. The brass outer layer of the mechanical rat, glistened a golden yellow in the morning sunlight as it collected the fallen debris and scurried back to its clockwork layer.

I ignored the curious little mechanical beast for the moment and proceeded towards the large door. As I expected the entrance was open despite the various stack of protective enchantments holding the place. The vestibule held little interest for me. It was just as orderly as the exterior of the Laboratory. A faint waft of stale air and a minute layer of dust was the only indication of the lack of activity for someone within the premise.

Apart from the clockwork caretakers, the Laboratory has been inactive for a while, though the open door, despite the enchantments clearly meant the place has been visited and not by those who were invited.

I crossed the vestibule and the namesake of the place, the large octagonal hall greeted me with emptiness. Two mechanical spiders with broad flat backs stood silently. A brief smile crossed my face as I remembered their purpose. Vangere, contrary to the portrayal of his external appearance, was not beyond the whims of a practical joke. Those spiders also served as movable tables to surprise gullible guests. The first time I brought Lyria here, she almost broke one of those devious monsters hiding in plain sight.

Surveying the room for oddities or surprises, I bolted towards the long winding staircase. The small door nearby, I ignored for those led to the basements. Knowing Vangere, what I sought, he would have kept secure, in the impregnability of his private study.

I dashed through the first two floors till my lungs burned, aching and begging me for more air. I ignored the plea and pushed further towards the upper floor. There were obvious signs of a methodical search performed throughout the premise. I yoked the urge to investigate the intention of the mysterious entity responsible.

Vangere’s private study itself was exactly as I remembered. Littered with notes and records and unorganised volumes of tomes and scrolls contributed to the reigning chaos of the mage’s study. A large upholstered couch, that would swallow the occupant was the lone seating furniture in Vangere’s study and served as another indication that Vangere’s valued the sanctity of his private chambers.

Despite the thin layer of dust gathered from years of isolation, undisguised evidence of volumes removed and examined were laid open for any with a discerning eye to see. I took a step back and scanned the room before barging in. On the voluminous bookshelves that invaded the study, certain volumes such as on the alchemical treatise and differentials on multi-dimensional manifolds remained in their pristine undisturbed position. Bookshelves assigned to hosting extraplanar physiology, inherent manifestations of immanence, historical records and analytical prognosis of prophecies stood vacant. Their contents vanished.

It was a simplistic expectation on my part to assume that the volumes missing and the treatise confiscated by the Order of Latent Divinity was mere happenstance, but caution argued otherwise.

I shrugged off the urge to further examine the room and willed myself towards the small alcove near the fireplace. For unhidden and yet set with arcane sigils remained the private repertoire of Vangere’s collections. His most valuable and prized possession, lay behind the alcove, undisturbed by all by him.

Only dusty old tomes, some minor trinkets of personal values, a long leather-bound treatise written by Syrune, probably the first treatise written by the scholar, a few bundles of letters of personal correspondence lay scattered in the curved space offered by the alcove. Small lockboxes, designed to hold, novelty baubles, confidential letters and other items of sentimental value, lay opened on shelves, their contents thoroughly examined.

Amidst, the littered rubbish, lay a small folded letter in an encased runic frame.

To my lovely daughter,” it read.

My heart leapt a bit as I recognised the handwriting, belonging unmistakably to Lyria.

With trembling hands, I grabbed the frame and freed the letter inside. The paper still remained pearl white undisturbed by the ravages of time. I considered the frame for a moment. Vangere must have taken extra precautions to protect the letter. I quickly flipped the folded paper, to read its contents.

Worded in a simple manner, it was definitely Lyria's message. 

I don’t know if Rils told you about me. I wager she had not. That is the kind of person she is. You Mother always had trouble talking about her feelings. It is what made her cute and adorable and also her flaw. But this letter is not about her.

This is for you.

For us.

To reconnect.

To reform a bond. One which I had with you when you were a wee adorable baby and one which, I shamefully lost when I had to. I promised that I would be there for you, to share your moments, to share your joy and wipe your tears. I failed in all that.

Know, that it has not been easy for me. To be physically separated from you was a waking nightmare that I endured for years.

Even separated, there had not been a single moment when I abandoned you. I gave you a gift. A unique one, from a mother to her daughter.

Should you ever find yourself alone or secluded from all that you knew, know that I am the constant presence near you.

You are never alone, my adorable child.

As you awaken, you will find yourself clueless, searching for answers, even sequestered from the rest. Fear not, my daughter, for no harm will find you, for I am vigilant and you are never alone.

Even when found yourself without the guiding hands of Rils, please do not fall into despair, reach out to me, shout my name and I swear, I will never abandon you ever again.

My lovely Delyn, remember, seek me and I will be there.

A surge of emotions threatened to assault me like a maelstrom of elements, until they mingled into a singular force of despair tossing me like a hapless ragdoll. On one hand, Lyria’s love for our daughter and her consideration for my daughter’s wellbeing made me feel euphoric. On the other hand, with her cryptic remark about my absence in her life, my current exile is not as unexpected as I presumed and a lot of people have a lot of explanations to deliver.

7