[ Arc III – Confessions and Unions ] Chapter 76 – Union – End of Arc and End of Vol.1
156 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I strolled aimlessly like dust blown by the wind. For once, I let my feet decide. When it felt right, I was already seated on a huge boulder, atop a small hill, overlooking Halcyon Hollows. The town became a bubbling hot pot of scuttling figures, busy with their mundane tasks. Wide carts carrying huge casks unloaded by a mixed crowd of humans and orcs. Colourful tents were erected. Halcyon Hollows seemed to be preparing for something.

A cool breeze blew, announcing her presence. The fae stirred gently.

“Magistra,” she said, “I knew I would find you in solitude.”

I drew my legs closer to my chest and wrapped my arms around.

“I could not help, but overhear. A curse and blessing of my affinity with the winds.” Of course, she did spy on us.

“She does have an aspect of truth to her opinions,” said the fae, “but only an aspect.”

The hard ground where I sat suddenly felt unstable.

“Perhaps it is the culture of the drows, or the circumstances of your upbringing or your station in your society,” spoke the fae, “that openness is an alien concept.”

“When we made the decision to form The Aberrant Irregulars, your original plan was to make Lord Korvanor believe that we are registered in Sarenthill. A fact that you hid from Arlene,” accused Vitalia.

“I do not believe that you lacked faith in Arlene. That information was on a need to know basis, right?” she asked.

“The name escapes me. What is it called? Principle of minimal disclosure?” She coaxed me into talking.

“That is right,” I replied.

“You never had to share anything with your siblings. Single daughter of a Noble House. Born and bred to wield power.” The fae was surprisingly insightful with her speculations, “Compromise was not a virtue but a weakness.”

“You rushed in, hoping to be her liberator, but what she needs is something else!” She did her characteristic fluttering around.

“Which begs the question, what are you going to do?” She pondered openly.

I stood and left.

I know what I should do.


Lyria hammered her rage on the anvil. She missed her rhythm. She missed the beats to the swing. She struck the anvil chaotically. The huge hammer failed to land at the right spot. Many times. She spat and cursed.

“Lyria,” Her swinging stopped. She sent her penetrating gaze in my direction.

I mustered the courage, steadied my faltering words and spoke.

After my exile, when I came to the surface, I gazed into the starry night sky. I saw your face in a constellation and wondered if you were up there.

Countless hidden patterns, hindered only by imagination, left in the open for all to unlock. It was always there. I turned my eyes away from the wonder and foolishly choose to hide in my domed world.

My love for you is more than the countless stars. Always there. It always remained with me. I shamefully ignored. I choose to focus my attention elsewhere.

In the day, the sun dominated the skies, but you are brighter than the sun. You bring a cool warmth, the sort that melted the frost and made flowers bloom. The sort that made ships raise their sails and sunflowers to turn.

Compared to your pristine self, I am imperfect

I am flawed. I can provide multiple excuses, but you can stare deep into my darkened soul and you will know for what they are. Just excuses.

Now, I am no longer the Matron. I am not even a drow. Circumstances have changed me. You have changed. We both have changed. Could we not try to start new?

I cannot promise to mend my way in a fortnight but could you give me a chance, at least till the safety of Celerim is assured?

I ended my earnest plea.

Lyria turned her back on me and returned to her demanding anvil.

“I want you and your companions gone now.”

She continued hammering further, swinging with mechanical precision. Her every powerful strike, reverberated directly in my heart, mangling it mercilessly.

Dejected and defeated, I moved my uncooperative legs.

Lyria’s smoky voice rang, “In three days' times, the Orcs will light a bonfire in the evening and break open their casks, accompanied by drums and dancing. I hope to meet you there.”

She could have simply kissed me to seal the date.

 



Now we have come to the main part of the story. In a way, I could say that now the two main characters are sort of fully introduced in the story in a formal way. I would consider this as an end of a volume. My initial impulse was to call it an end of Book 1 and Continue the relationship between Lyria and Rylonvirah as book 2. But that Idea did not bode well with me for some of the following reasons: There are multiple subplots that are begging for answers with their plotlines dangling. The astute among you might have realised something about Lyria's explanations and Rylonvirah's flaws. They both have a lot more to grow, to trust each other, and to rely on one another.
Having said that, the last few chapters have been full of plots and weird running around, So I wanted to write some fluffy moments. 
But as the blurb says, Trouble is always Rylonvirah's constant bedmate and it won't be long before someone will drop in to disturb her peaceful paradise. 
For those of you who have read and commented frequently, you have my thanks. 

7