Ch 1 – Why do I have an AK-47 on my lap?
370 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I opened my eyes. 

I was immediately met with a dull stinging pain inside my head, but I didn't bother to try and ease the pain. I sat up. The first thing in view was the beautiful glistening moon, white rays shining brightly. Withered grayish brown trees flustered around me, and a soft wind enveloped my senses.

My eyes immediately drew towards my lap. Laying there, where the moon gently reflected off the scratched metal, the fluorescent wood glimmering under the moonlight. An AK-47. 

...?

The dark gray trees whispered around me, the wind flowing and caressed my cheeks. I just sat there, dumbfounded with the sudden event.

Why did I have an AK-47 lying on my lap? What's my name? My memories were blurry, broken, lost. I couldn't remember anything. All I felt was the dull pain striking my head as I tried to remember even a small fragment of my memory. I stopped.

I shake it off and proceeded to do a field strip of the gun.

I released the magazine, checking the ammunition. It was full of 7.62x39mm. Suprised that there was still even any ammunition in the gun. I quickly switched the gun to semi. As I pulled the bolt carrier, a fresh bullet ejected from the open port. I catched the bullet and left it on the grass. I squeezed the trigger until I heard a nice crisp...

*click*

I opened the dusk cover, the recoil spring seemed a little rusted, but I deemed it to still function. I removed the recoil spring, and I pulled out the bolt carrier, its bolt still in working order. I inspected the parts. Everything seemed fine and in working condition.

Where am I?

As I continued to ponder, my hands automatically rebuilded the gun. I was in a torn white T-shirt, with plain black shorts that were battered up with dirt and soil, with a green and black bracelet around my left wrist. It was extremely worn down, yet I felt a significant value to it, like something that was extremely important to me. I held my left wrist on my chest, calmness and slight sorrow erupting from my heart. I grabbed the bullet that I put aside on the grass and slid it back into the magazine. I pulled the charging handle and let go, the bolt picking up a new bullet into the chamber as it rotated in the cam groove and locked up in battery.

I had one magazine of ammo only, meaning I only had 29+1 bullets. This wasn't a good sign. I looked around. Apart from the withered trees and the glistening moon, I was alone. It felt... off. My head was still stinging with a dull pain, so I lifted my hand to my head. I felt a sticky liquid in my fingertips. I checked. 

Blood. Go figure.

Obviously, I was suffering a minor concussion, as well as amnesia, with my memory blurred. My lips were dry, and my stomach growled. Immense hunger and dizziness attacked me as I struggled to stay awake. I needed food, now and fast. Beside the withered trees, a river ran down, with rocks and a nice clear blue. I spotted something moving through the water. 

...Probably fish?

I lifted myself off the ground. I held the AK by its stock. My headache got worse, but I somehow managed to stay up. I dragged my feet across the ground, with each step feeling heavier than the last. My lungs were struggling for air, but I didn't care. I didn't want to die. So I continued. After 20 meters of walking which felt like 800 meters of a full sprint I reached the river. My body was burning and my head was getting worst by the minute. 

Bingo. 

I spotted a lone fish, laying still in stasis. I pulled my AK and lined the ironsights above the fish. After all, light refracted through water, resulting in an illusionary image of the fish being lower than where it actually is.

I slowly breathed out, and I pulled the trigger.

BANG!

Nice. I quickly snatched the fish out of the water as I dragged myself to the side. Now I needed a fire. The hunger just kept clawing at me. (Fuck.) I gritted my teeth. I didn't have any flint nor any burnable objects. Yet somehow, a beautiful orangey flame suddenly appeared in front of me as I was at my last wits. I didn't have time to think about it as I stuffed the fish over the flame, cooking it. Again, my stomach growled, and my headache was at its limit. As soon as it was done, I dug my sharp canines into its flesh. The rich taste of fish filled my mouth as I continued to bite and swallow with haste.  (So god damn good...)

Normally it would taste like shit, but I hadn't ate in such a long time that it felt like bliss. It didn't have any salt on it and the small bones and unnecessary bits were still present. Yet it tasted so good. I wolfed it down in 30 seconds flat, as my hunger died down, and my headache disappeared. 

 

 

13