Ch 8 – Interlude (The Childhood Friend)
215 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I watched him rant in anger and irritation, more and more people around me stared at him with widened eyes. Just like that time before, he went on a massive rant at the teacher.

He was usually alone, never interacted with anyone, and he always sat at his desk, reading. He never cared about what people thought of him, and in turn, he didn't try and pick a fight with people that didn't disturb him.

He did have two friends, one which was me, and the other was a humble boy, who wore glasses and had slightly plump cheeks. His name was Shōta Matsumura. They both shared the same interest in books, and they often hung at Shiro's desk. They spent their days sharing their hobbies and excitement on new books and experiences they felt reading them.

I was very jealous. Every time they were talking about books, I would pout at him, and he would always avert his gaze. 

Why doesn't he interact with me at school? Every time I tried to talk to him, he'd expertly dodge me and talk to Shota. I was sullen. He did interact with me outside of school, since our homes were next to each other. But it wasn't always like that.

Around 10 years old, when I was still a child, I had to move out since my parents had a business trip to attend in Russia, as I was mixed Russian and Japanese from my mum and dad. I felt miserable that I couldn't see Shiro for another 6 years. We both cried and hugged each other as I was pulled away by my parents, since I couldn't let go of him.

Once I had reached 16 years old, I was extremely gleeful as I could see Shiro again. The whole time when I was driving to his school, my face was beaming in happiness, and excitement overflowed through my body.

As I spotted him at the back of the classroom, next to the window, I smiled and gave a small wave to him. His eyes dropped, and he hit his head on the table in shock. I could see that he was the same as ever.

One time, I'd hopped over to his house and rang the doorbell, and his jaw dropped the moment he saw me beaming at him in the doorframe. I lunged at him, giving the biggest hug I'd ever given in the longest time. 

"W-w-wait Anna, sto-stop, wait, you're crushing my ribs!!!"

I ignored him as I rubbed my cheeks on his, as his flustered face panicked; a sense of bliss and joy filled my heart as I continued to hug him.

However, one day, Shota was condemned as a sexual criminal.

His table contained a girl's PE uniform that belonged to one of our classmates. The teacher and our classmates continued to yell and growl at Shota for 3 consecutive days, the teacher pressuring him to give up and admit his "crime," whereas some classmates, including the girl who was the victim, continued to assault Shota.

"Oi, you disgusting pervert!"

"You still dare to come to school?"

Shota never gave up trying to protest for his innocence.

In return, they would punch, and kick Shota behind the school, take his belongings and thrash them into the bin, make him collect food from the cafeteria for them.  

And at last, on the third day, Shiro, who had enough, snapped.

"Can you guys use your brains? You have a brain- Use it."

Just like how he ranted at the king, he ranted at his classmates and his teacher. He was rash, always never giving a shit about others that he didn't care about. He was like a cat; one that didn't care if he wasn't bothered, but would immediately snap at those that tried to hurt him and those close to him. His last name was befitting of his nature. [Shiratori.]

He slammed his fist into the boy's face, who was the main bully. He fell to the ground, his nose dislocated, with blood pouring out. 

"...! You asshol-"

Shiro clenched the boy's collar, and smashed his head against the wall next to him.

"!!!"

"If you assault someone, shouldn't you also be prepared to be assaulted yourself?"

The girl's body shook in fear. Trying to act confident, she shouted at him,

"Hah! That pig deserved to be thrashed! What? Are you going to hit me nex-"

"Yes."

Shiro coldly spoke just one word, and started to inch towards the girl. The girl trembled, as her pale face got worse every time he inched closer to her. Eventually, she fell down in fear, holding her hands out in front. 

Tsk!

He turned back to teacher.

He crushed those with their so called "evidence" with logic and actual concrete evidence, like how Shota had been with him and I, with the Janitor spotting us leaving the school before the time frame of the actual crime had happened. 

The girl tried to protest.

"Wait- I think my PE uniform actually disappeared around 2 o'cloc-"

"Are you trying to change your evidence? Stick to what you've said already, you lying bitch."

The teacher yelled at Shiro, but just like everybody else, he shut her up as well.

"Tell me teacher, did you check with the janitor when Shota, Anna, and I had left the school around 2:30? He clearly witnessed it no?"

"...! That may be tr-"

"The crime happened around 3:30 no? You heard it from the "victim" herself."

"..."

The teacher fell silent, but she burst out one last time.

"Then if it isn't Shota, then who else could have done it!?"

The Principal appeared in front of the class.

"What is going on right now?"

Shiro calmly gazed at him. He opened his mouth.

"Don't worry about it Sir, I called you here just so you could answer a question."

"Well what is it?"

"Around 3:30, 3 days ago, you walked past our classroom right?"

"Yeah I did, why?"

"Was there anybody in the classroom?"

"Now that I think about it, yes, I did see a young boy sitting in one of the seats."

"Who was it?"

"It was that boy over there." 

The Principal pointed at a young man behind some classmates. His face drained of blood, as he froze in place. 

Shiro grabbed him by the collar, and growled slowly with a low voice. Shiro's face at that point was extremely disturbing; it was devoid of any emotion except for pure coldness.

His voice was cold. Piercing cold.

"What do you have to say about yourself?"

"I-I-I wasn't doing anything- I was just sitting at my desk studyin-"

"Oh yeah? Which desk?"

"..."

"Funny how you went silent right? After all, the desk you pointed at just then was Shota's desk."

"...! Wai-"

With one last stare of coldness, he threw him into the desks.

He walked out and grabbed Shota by the wrist.

The young boy groaned in pain on the ground, and the teacher fell to her knees.

The pressure of the dark mood flowed through the class, as they all began to stare at the young boy. I chased after Shiro, leaving the classroom.

As always, he was the same as ever.

{Author Note: Shiratori means "swan," which represents grace, love, trust, and loyalty, if you were wondering.}

9