Ch 9 – Memories (3) ~ The Nameless Form Of Fighting
178 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Shiratori-dono! What was that beautiful back-kick that I saw just then!?”

Cero slapped my back multiple times, while joyfully laughing.

“Dude, you’re hurting me, stop already.”

"Ha ha ha, sorry, got a little excited.”

"I’m pretty sure it doesn’t exist in your world, but it was a form of Korean martial arts, called Taekwondo.”

“Taekwondo? Korea?”

“Yeah, I learnt a little bit back when I was 11 years old, since I had to protect this foolish trouble-maker of mine.”

“Hahaha, they must be really bad to have it come to that point, huh?”

My cheeks relaxed as I gave a small smile. 

“Yeah, she’s a handful.”

As we walked along a concrete path, the sun continued to daunt on us, the fiery warmth radiating on our skin.

“How far will I be behind everyone once they learn how to use their [Skills]?”

Cero gazed at the clear blue skies with a somber look.

“...Honestly speaking, you’ll be extremely behind. After all, their skills allow them to utilise different magic types, such as [Fire], [Water], [Earth], [Wind] and even uncommon magic such as [Light] and [Thunder]. The skills also allow physical enhancements, boosting their raw characteristics such as [Strength] and [Agility] 20x the average human. So compared to you, a normal human being...”

“...I don't stand a chance.”

"Yes, and that’s why it surprised me quite a bit when you asked if you could learn swordsmanship, since most people that don’t have any skills will usually give up, since skills are only acquired from birth.”

“...I have a person I want to protect, that’s all.”

“...I see. They must be very lucky then.”

.....

.....

.....

Once we reached a wide field of dirt, with spruce trees around the field, we came to stop, as Cero turned back towards me, and gazed intensely into my eyes.

“...I’ll ask one more time. Do you want me to train you in the fastest way possible?”

“Yes.”

“Even if that training will be extremely harsh and tolling on you?”

"I’m prepared.”

“Alright, one last time, I’m going to explain what’s going to happen.”

I nodded.

“...I’m going to beat swordsmanship into you; I will not stop if I see any injuries, and I will attack you with the intent to KILL. I’m not going to give any time for you to rest. I’m going to make sure that I wring out everything that’s in your body, and even then I will still make sure that you’re on your feet, either wise, you’ll meet a nice morning punch. At the end of the day, what matters most is experience- experience fighting against people and monsters that have no hesitation to cut you down.”

I nodded silently.

"...Okay. Normally I would hand you a sword but...”

Without hesitation, Cero swung at my face, with swiftness and point precision. I barely moved my head to the right, as the fist flew past my head, the wind ripping past me.

“!”

“Let me ask you a question. Once a swordsman loses a sword, what are they left with?”

"...Their fists and legs.”

"Exactly.”

This time, Cero threw a side kick towards my stomach, as he twisted his right leg, while his left leg drove towards me.

“...!”

I had no time to react, as I blocked it with my fist, my hands flying towards my chest as I flew backwards.

My hands were tingling with numbness as the shock settled in, pain aching in my chest.

“I have no set forms of swordsmanship for you. Just a form of art that you fight under.”

"...?”

"To me, fighting is like art; free flowing, shapeless, alive."

He grinned at me.

“So, Rule number ONE: Never receive an attack directly.”

Once again, Cero threw another punch, a jab with his left as he dashed forwards. The jab quickly ripped through the air as I barely tilt my head enough for the fist to whiz past.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re using your fists, a sword, a knife, or a halberd. People that receive attacks directly are utter dumbasses. Why should you receive all the power of the attack? Redirect the trajectory of the attack you idiot- Even if a massive cleaver comes at you, as long as you redirect the attack, then the majority of the energy is aimed somewhere else, no?”

Cero launched another side-kick, this time at my head. Tilting my head to the left, I thrust his ankle away from my face, resistance almost null.

“...Good, you’re learning already.”

“Thanks.”

“...Ha!”

Next thing I knew, the left side of my core got crushed as I fell to the floor. A jolt of pain traveled through my muscles, and blood and saliva raised through my throat as I held my side in pain.

“First, never get cocky: always stay calm and analyse your opponent's movement. Do they have any habits that they like to do? Any hints of the same attack pattern? Do they always throw an uppercut after a cross?”

I coughed on the ground, as the pain continued to hammer into me.

“Secondly, just as how you can predict their next moves, you also can be read and be predictable; change it up dumbass. You hurled a cross and then an uppercut? Throw a side-kick and then immediately follow with a cross then. Never, ever, EVER, stay in the same pattern.”

“That’s the SECOND rule: Stay unpredictable!”

"Rule THREE!!!

As he dashed towards me, I braced myself for an attack. However, as I hurled a jab at him, suddenly, my chin was slammed, and for a moment, my vision went dark.

“Aim for blind spots! Attack them before they attack you! Intercept their attacks! They’re about to throw a punch? Charge past their attack range and punch them first then dumbass!”

"I thought you just told me to redirect their attack!!!"

"Bitch- You only redirect if it forces you into a passive position- Apart from that, always try and attack them first, cause after all, if there is no attack in the first place, then there's no chance he injures you!"

(Shit.)

“Rule Number FOUR!!!”

As I struggled on my feet, Cero continued to growl at me. And for a moment, I felt the true power of killing intent as he flung a high left kick at my throat. It was a high crushing pressure that pummeled my willpower into the ground. Fear took over and my mind started to blank out.

Somehow, I weaved just in time out of the way on reflex, as the kick flew over my head, the wind pressure pushing down on my head. 

“Always aim at their vital organs!!! The throat, the liver, the heart, the lungs- It doesn't matter! You screw up just one of their vital organs, and your life gets whole lot easier killing them!!"

"...”

Rule number FIVE!!! If you redirect an attack, what do you do?”

“...Fall back and gain distance?”

Smashing me in the face, he barked,

"No you fucking retard, counterattack!!! They threw a punch at you and you push it to the side? Fucking crush his shoulder, or bash his arm that he used to punch with! He slashes a sword at you? Slash his wrist the moment you redirect his attack!!!"

My cheeks started to swell in pain, and my balance started to topple. 

"Rule number SIX!!! You found an opening? USE IT MOTHERFUCKER!!! STAB HIM, PUNCH HIM, KICK HIM, DON'T GIVE A CHANCE FOR HIM TO RECOVER!!!"

Cero charged at me, once again, as he launched a back-kick. 

"FOLLOW THE MOMENTUM YOU MONGROL- ACCELERATE, FASTER, FASTER AND FASTER, PUSH YOURSELF PAST YOUR LIMITS!!!

However, this time my body had already suffered from various injuries; I had multiple bruises and cuts all over my arms, legs, chest and face, as well as as several fractures in my ribs. 

Cero knew this. But he still continued with his back-kick, as he began twisting his whole body, centrifugal power being generated.

At that moment, my senses felt clear. I could feel the wind moving ever so slightly, the small contractions of Cero's muscles and his leg clawing its way towards my face. I did not feel any fear, and the only emotion that overtook my mind was calmness. I could feel the world around me, and my instincts were screaming.

As his right leg propelled towards my face, I closed the distance with a dash, kicking off the floor as dirt sputtered in the air. Cero's eyes widened, as my right fist flew under his chin- my legs, core and chest twisting, launching all its centrifugal power into my fist as it pulverised into Cero's left cheek. 

Cero stumbled backwards, about 5 meters, as he coughed out blood. 

At that point though, my body gave, and I fell to the floor. The adrenaline came to a halt, and the excruciating pain rushed and assaulted my veins. As my vision gradually went dark, I heard Cero laughing merrily. He gave one last sentence before I passed out.

"Hahaha... Last Rule Number 7... As long as you're alive, never stop giving up."

 

9