Ch 15 – A Duel and the Start of a New Friendship.
157 5 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey boy. Who do you think you are, standing beside our 'Marigold?'"

"Is Adria 'Marigold'?"

"Oh yes, she is. Her blonde hair is the epitome of beauty."

"Okay... So what is your business with me?"

"You think you're tough shit huh?"

"...No I don't."

"Yes, you are, either wise you wouldn't even dare to pretend to be close with her."

"I just saved her, and that's it."

"Bullshit. You don't even look like someone who could even hold a fight against goblins."

In a way, I could agree with that. Most of the men here were muscular and large, like warriors. I, on the other hand, had quite a small body compared to them, even if my muscles were toned. 

"I see. I will prove my worth. Then you will make your own judgement."

From the Adventurer's Tag that he wore around his neck, I recognised that he was a Emerald Ranked (B) adventurer. I knew this, so I gave him respect, as all men should. My late father's words resonated in my heart.

Never look down on people. No matter who they are, what nationality they are from, always give respect to the people that you fight.

(...I can't see my father anymore. But I'll at least honour his words, even if I'm in a different world.)

"Oh? You've got guts boy. I like it."

"Then let's spar."

All the people around us soon stopped what they were doing, as they turned their heads towards me and the man. He had a large black beard, and a western face, with a sharp glare and a huge structure. 

"May I ask for your name, young boy?"

"It's Shiro Shiratori. Your's?"

"Ern Otis."

The people around us started cheering and jeering. 

"A fight between the newcomer and Ern?"

"Yo, this is going to be SICK!!!"

"I haven't seen Ern fight in such a long time! Can't wait to see his skills once again!"

"You got this you crazy young boy!!!"

"Ern, fuck him up!!!"

Ern then asked me a question.

"Are you fine with using wooden swords? We don't need to spill blood after all."

"Yes, I'm fine with that."

"Alright, then choose one of those swords over there."

He pointed towards a rack of wooden swords, in the corner of the Guild's room. There were all sorts of weapons, ranging from a wooden longsword, to a spear, to a broadsword. However, something caught the glimpse of my eye. A lonely wooden curved sword sat in the very corner of the room, with dust covering it.

"...A bokken?"

"Hmm? Young boy, you know what that is?"

"...Yes, I do."

(Of course I do. After all, that's something from my homeland. And it's also something I know very well.)

The rough calluses in my hand pulsated, before I clenched my fist, and made my resolve.

(...Dad. Seems like I have to hold a blade, once again.)

I picked up the bokken, and made my way towards Ern. Ern held a wooden broadsword. Fitting, considering his ginormous size. We got in our stances, as the whole of the Adventurer's Guild surrounded us, with beer and jeers.

"Okay. Are you ready, young boy?"

"Yes."

A person in between us threw a rock up into the air.

We sat there, patiently, waiting for the rock to hit the ground. It had felt like the whole world around us melted in our surroundings. It was just me, and this man, dueling. Nothing else mattered. The stone soon hit the floor, and the duel began.

As the rock hit the ground, Ern kicked off the wooden floor as he charged towards me, with tremendous speed. He raised his broadsword up in the air, as he slammed it into the ground. Using the bokken, I received the blow with the blade, as I lunged towards his neck. As I slashed the bokken at his throat horizontally from right to left, he grinned as he bent his head backwards, narrowly dodging my blade, as he threw his right fist towards the side of my body.

I twisted to the left, as I spun around with another slash that came from the left, using centrifugal power. Ern quickly responded, as he grabbed the broadsword with his left hand and spun his own body. He then used two hands to swing the broadsword at my neck, where I had just finished turning around, ready for the horizontal attack, once again. The two wooden blades contacted, with a huge thwack that resounded in the building.

I was ready for this however, as I quickly redirected the broadsword downwards, as I pushed my hilt over Ern's blade, and out the the left, where now, his whole body was exposed. Using this chance, I pulled my blade close to my left cheek, as I thrusted the tip of the bokken towards his throat. I stopped just before it contacted, and the whole building went quiet.

Then, Ern opened his mouth.

"...It's my loss."

The whole building erupted in cheers.

"""WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"""

"The newcomer won!!!??"

"Ern, come on man, are you getting old already!!??"

Ern heartily laughed as he held his hand out.

"HAHAHAHAHA!!! Never would there be a day, when I thought I would lose against a newcomer!!! A gutsy boy at that!"

I grabbed it, as he held a strong grip, and we shared a handshake.

I smiled.

"It was fun fighting you, Ern Otis."

"Same here, Shiro Shiratori! I was wrong about you! Seems like you can defend yourself! Ha-ha-ha!!!"

He then slapped the back of my shoulder, as he continued to laugh. I rubbed my shoulder, as I scratched my cheek in embarrassment. 

"Do you want beer? It's on the house!"

"Sorry, I'm a minor."

"Huuuh!? You do realise that 14 years old is the minimum age to be able to drink beer?"

"Even then, I don't like alcohol. Thanks for the offer though."

"If that's the case, then let's just eat some meat! My treat as the loser!"

"I'll take your offer then, Ern."

He laughed, as he slapped my shoulder once again. 

"Ow dude, can you stop hitting my back?"

"I can't! It's been a long time since I've met such an intriguing boy like you!"

"Ha...Ha... Thanks I guess?"

"WOOOOHOOOO!!!! LET'S GET THE PARTY STARTED!!!!!"

"""OOOORRRRAAAAAAA!!!!!"""

As I continued to be pushed around by the immense amount of crazy adventurers, I thought to myself:

(Aren't they a bit too lively?)

5