Chapter 53
107 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chini regained consciousness.

 

Seeing the vicious-looking Kade, a look of despair appeared on her face, “No, I can’t say…They will kill me.”

 

“It wasn’t my idea. They forced me to do it, or else they would force those insects down my throat, torturing me endlessly.” Chini had started crying.

 

Kade felt a little pity when seeing her expression, and knowing what he did about what the followers of the Plague God would do to traitors--but she had also poisoned her best friend.

 

She was still alive so that Kade could get information from her.

 

Unexpectedly, a Quest had appeared in his Quest Window.

 

Plague Purge

 

Description: Traces of Dark Sweet Poison has appeared in Rivershore City. One of the first infected--the daughter of an Adventurer--has been cured. Perhaps your should try to help more people; of course, you can also choose to eradicate the source before the arrival of the Great Calamity.

 

Reward: 3000 Exp, +1 Regional Myth

 

Kade had high requirements for Experience. Because, even if he had many ways to level up quickly, many of those methods were extremely risky.

 

But clearing this Quest seemed quite worthwhile.

 

He wasn’t a healer, so he couldn’t take the first option; but simply killing the Plague Envoy who was spreading the Dark Sweet Poison in Rivershore City. This was the quickest method, the only risk was the Rank of the Plague Envoy.

 

Judging from Lyle’s condition, and the fact that she was the first infected, the Plague Envoy’s strength should be early-mid 2nd Rank. The followers of the Plague God were usually very weak when it comes to direct combat. Even if I didn’t get involved, it is possible that the Special Patrols can handle the Envoy--the only problem is that the Sweet Dark Poison cure isn’t currently known, so it could kill everyone.

 

Now, because of the Quest, if he could get information on the location of the Plague Envoy, Kade wanted to kill them.

 

***

Of course, Kade didn’t actually do anything to Lyle that night.

 

After cutting her clothing, he used the Kingfisher Longsword to open a small hole in her abdomen. Lyle had naturally screamed because his actions scared her--the pain of Sweet Dark Poison was naturally greater than the wound caused by the sword, she didn’t even feel it.

 

As for the later screams, it was because she saw something terrible.

 

Soon after Kade cut open the hole, something crawled out, an insect; it looked like a black worm--this almost caused her to pass out, she had many small horrifying worms crawling around in her body.

 

The purple smoke seemed to draw them out, and Kade caught them in a jar; the number almost filled three jars. After the last worm was removed, Kade sewed up her wound and gave her some wine to help her sleep.

 

This kind of parasite was called the ‘Black Worm’.

 

First, they would be slipped into the victim’s meal as almost invisible, transparent, eggs. Once ingested, the worms would hatch and burrow into the victim’s stomach-lining and then grow; they would slowly absorb the nutrients from any food the victim ate and cause intense agony.

 

Most of the worms would gather in certain areas in the neck causing the black swellings. Once they reached full maturity and the victims died--the worms would explode into a black cloud of spores and eggs, turning the Sweet Dark Poison air-born.

 

These Black Worms were a specially created life-form, made by the Plague God, and they were able to be modified to whatever he wanted.

 

Though Kade knew how to treat the plague, all he needed to do was use the purple smoke to lure the Black Worms out, and then kill them with vinegar--normal ingestion of vinegar would work in the early stages of the plague to cure it…but it was too late, and the more drastic measure was required as soon as the first black spot appeared on the victim’s neck.

 

***

“I don’t know what they did to you, but now, you only have two options. First, speak and I will let you keep your life, though you will need to stay away from Lyle and Gari; or the second is I will kill you now.” Kade spoke coldly, pulling out his dagger and pressing it to Chini’s neck.

 

Chini’s eyes widened and she screamed, “I’ll talk! I’ll talk!”

 

Pausing for a second, steeling her resolve, she continued, “They gather in a church in the Commoners District. It originally belonged to the Silver Church, but they rented it from the Priest…”

 

Kade smiled at her words.

 

The Priests of the Silver Church were definitely greedy, and that one was stupid as well; he had rented out his own church without knowing anything about the other party’s background.

 

After getting his answers, Kade didn’t immediately release Chini, he knocked her out again. He had to check and make sure that she was telling the truth before he let her go.

 

***

The most numerous people in the Commoner’s District were Adventurers, lesser Merchants, and the less-known Craftsmen. The security wasn’t the best, but there weren’t too many Thieves or Gangs.

 

In the North-West section of the Commoner’s District was a small church. It was originally the personal church of the Priest of the Silver Church, but he had turned on this area’s people and their ‘impure faith’, their lack of generous contributions.

 

He simply rented it out and left.

 

There was a ceremony currently underway in the basement of the church.

 

More than ten youths were kneeling on the ground while chanting crazily. A man was standing on a stage, clothed in a black robe, looking down at them with a cold gaze.

 

The youths’ faces were filled with fanaticism.

 

But, their belief might not necessarily be pure; he had to pick the purest ones to accept as his subordinates. This would allow him to curry favour with the Plague God.

 

After all, among the Plague Envoys of the Plague God, he was just average. But, even so, he had still mastered the most basic Cleric Magic.

 

Distinguish Faith.

 

A black halo was emitted from his palm and surrounded the ten youths, coiling several times around their bodies.

 

A few of them had their sight flicker, while others remained completely unconcerned as if they didn’t even notice the light.

 

Threads immediately appeared in front of the man dressed in black. They were coming out of the youths’ bodies and were tied to them, they were of differing thicknesses, each representing the firmness and authenticity of the youth’s faith.

 

The black-clothed man was satisfied, there were actually two very firm believers in this group; they would supply the Plague God with a good amount of Faith.

 

But, he wasn’t totally happy--because one of the youths didn’t have any line at all.

 

“There is actually someone among you that is pretending to be a follow? Do you think that you can cheat the great God’s eyes?” He smiled fiercely and pointed at one of the youths who had a terrified expression, “I’ll let the others see how non-believers end!”

 

As he spoke, numerous dark-coloured lengths of fabric appeared in his hands.

 

“No! Don’t…” The youth struggled, frightened.

 

But it was no use.

 

The other youths pushed him down, proving themselves.

 

Laughing coldly, the black-clothed man slowly walked past.

 

At the same time, someone was quickly approaching--currently outside the basement and unseen.

2