Chapter 37: Mara
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tamul let out a very large sigh before he spoke. He focused on his water and didn't look at Ka. “Before I start, I want to tell you about the prophecy of Re's birth, I think it's important. Shortly before Prince Re was born his mother, the queen, had a dream. She told the king and his guards that her son would be the greatest thing the kingdom had ever seen. No one is allowed to speak of it any more, but some of the older guards still do when they get drunk enough. Supposedly the king's response was that his queen, his first love, was the greatest thing that would ever happen to the kingdom.

“Prince Re's birth was a hard one, it is said there was a lot of blood. You probably know the queen did not survive. What you don't know is that it was also very quick. The infant was rushed away in the panic to try and save the queen. By the time the king saw him, word had already spread far and wide that the prince had been touched by the gods. The priests were already sending out news of the babe pale as snow and born with hair the color of fire.

“Or as the king put it, pale as death and stained with his mother's blood. Prince Re grew up with that duality. The entire kingdom treated him as a god equal to his father, but that father treated him like a curse. He was not cruel or unreasonable, but he has no love to give. The king is demanding, you can see it with how he treats his other children. Prince Re grew strong under that pressure and he lived up to those demands.” The captain paused and drained his water cup. “Should've brought some wine back with us,” he muttered unhappily.

Ka swallowed nervously, nursing his own water. This explained some of the prince's mannerisms and his insistence on propriety in front of others. That would have been a difficult childhood, but if the prince met these demands then what was the problem? Who changed things? And why did it bother Tamul so much he wanted to drink to soothe the pain? The captain was still quiet and Ka gently prompted, “What happened?”

Tamul sighed again and answered, “Prince Re fell in love. Or, in lust, I'm not sure. I don't think they would have lasted, but that's not the story. It was four years ago, when Re was fifteen. I had joined the guard by then and keeping an eye on the prince was an official duty of mine. So I followed . . . I helped him sneak out of the palace. We'd been doing it for years by then, it wasn't really a big deal. It's not like the prince went to slums or bars, it was usually just to spend time with our friends.

“Mara was a noble girl from a family in the king's court. The Prince began to enjoy her company, but the King was clear. Prince Re was not ready to take a wife and he would not pursue a relationship with Mara. Of course he did anyway, they just tried to be discreet. Prince Re snuck out to meet her a couple of times before he was caught and that was when things went so wrong.”

Tamul cleared his throat slightly and gestured towards the golden shackles on Ka's wrist. “Chains are one of the king's favorite punishments. The servers tonight were castle workers being punished for some reason. If they regain Re's favor they'll be returned to wherever they belong, but if they fail, they'll be sent away. It is the punishment that guards received for failing to stop the prince from leaving, if he was found out. I knew this, I was exempt so that the prince would never be truly alone. Prince Re did not know about this punishment until the night the king confronted him.

“I was there, I remember the king screaming that Prince Re's actions had consequences even if it wasn't the prince to feel them. And he was all the more furious because he had forbidden the union. Then the king's attention settled on me. He declared he was tired of my failure to keep the prince in place. I was going to be chained in the yard and bake in the sun as a reminder to the prince of consequences.

“Except that didn't happen. My father was there too and he told the king who I was, that I was his only son.” Tamul sighed again and this time it seemed as if the action held back a growing anger. “And then he clarified that he was glad to give my life to the king, he just wanted the king to know he was doing so. King Re changed his decree. The prince would choose who faced punishment: the guard that failed to stop him, or the woman that caused him to leave. The punishment was changed to death and Prince Re was forced to choose then and there. Obviously I am alive, Re chose to save me, but it was a hard choice. Mara is alive as well. After the prince made his decision, the king ordered Mara be made part of the harem, sparing her life.”

Ka let out a shaky breath of his own. “I can guess that was little comfort to the prince.”

“He is glad she was not killed,” Tamul grumbled. “He is upset that she was taken from her position and will never return to her family. What really bothered him was when he visited her after it all. She was not upset, apparently she went on and on about how honored she was to serve Re. She didn't mind the harem, because she never would have known the king otherwise. She was thrilled that the king may share her bed and living in the palace was a small price to her.

“Prince Re hasn't really snuck out since then. A couple of times, and now to retrieve his servant. He does not visit Mara either, unless he is very, very drunk. And he does not talk about it.”

“He offered to answer my questions,” Ka said as if defending himself.

“He expected you to ask about the king, or the trip, or the meal. I think you honestly startled him. I think that's what the king wanted.”

Ka frowned at this and shook his head. “All right then what does that make me?” he demanded. “Am I supposed to be some substitute for this Mara girl?

Tamul huffed at him. “No, you idiot. You are as opposite of her as is possible! A peasant criminal with no life ahead of you, saved from death and possessed by the prince alone. A trouble making rebel scribe who hates the king possibly as much as Prince Re hates him. A proud man that has refused him and continues to tell him 'no'. I may think you a fool, but you are everything that Re thinks he wants right now.”

Some of his anger faded and Ka tried to order his thoughts. “That doesn't explain why Re chose to save me over someone else.” That reasoning continued to elude the scribe and it bothered him.

Sadly Tamul gave no satisfactory answer and only shrugged. “Something about you attracted his attention. I can guarantee though, it is your stubborn pride that has kept it. Anyone else would have been grateful, thankful, and willing to give the prince anything at all. He would have kept you comfortable your entire life, whether as his pet or in his harem. Anyone else would have taken the offer.”

Ka frowned at the guard for a few moments before asking, “Do you mean that as an insult or a compliment?”

Tamul let out an annoyed little growl. “I mean it as an insult, but the prince has been responding to it in positive ways. I think that when he chose you, he thought it would be something fun to fill his time. Your attitude changed that, I think now he grows fonder of you by the day. But that puts you in danger, too.”

“Danger?” Ka echoed, eyebrows raised in challenge. “I'm already in danger because the palace guards would prefer to see me dead.”

Tamul shook his head. “The king didn't care though. He is aware of you now and he can see that his son has become fond of you. The prince knows this, and he knows that you can be used against him. Just like Mara was used against him. And he's likely terrified that you'll abandon him just like she did.”

“He abandoned her as well,” Ka said with a quiet voice. He understood though, that had been a reaction, not an act of malice.

“And if you side with the king, you'll be abandoned to him just the same.” Tamul's expression darkened. “I think it would do even more damage this time. If you hurt him that badly, I might arrange for the palace guards to have their chance to take care of you.”

“I would never side with the king,” Ka said firmly.

“That doesn't mean you won't betray the prince, or otherwise hurt him. I think you're a fool and I do not trust you, not entirely.” Tamul pursed his lips and glared at the scribe. “I will protect you though, because you are important to my prince. If you are smart, you won't upset that.”

Ka stared unhappily at the table, going over the whole conversation. After several moments he licked his lips and finally looked up again. “I have not always had a clear understanding of the royal family. I understand now that Prince Re is not his father, he does not necessarily deserve the blame and ire that the king has earned. I have no desire to betray him.” Tamul nodded his approval of this, but Ka was still rather nervous. “You said . . . have you always known?”

This question finally lightened the gloomy mood. Tamul smiled slightly and paused to pull a parchment from a belt pouch. He unfolded it and lay it on the table as Ka cringed upon seeing it. Tamul shook his head, seeming amused now. “I would have never guessed you were a rebel if you had not quoted a rebel speech. I can only assume you wrote this to have actually memorized it; it was taken off a rebel speaker. 'Nepotism and decay rot the kingdom while Re's indifference and inaction is a blight upon the lands.' And then something about the fodder of war,” he said, glancing over the written speech.

Ka did not need to find the phrase to be able to repeat it. “Sacrificing the people as nothing more than fodder for his wars and monuments.” The scribe groaned and lowered his eyes again. “Does Prince Re know this?”

“There are many reasons they could have imprisoned you,” Tamul answered before he shook his head. “I have not shared this reason with anyone though. Not yet.”

“You have just been carrying around the proof of it,” Ka accused.

To this, Tamul picked up the parchment, folded it, and stowed it back in its place. “Knowledge is powerful. Proof is valuable. I feel better if I have something I can threaten you with. Now that you know, hopefully we can remain on good terms.”

Ka nodded, not missing the subtle blackmail threat. He had no desire to get on the guard's bad side in any case, the threat was an idle one. “I don't want to hurt Prince Re. I have agreed to my place and I will not make him look bad.”

Tamul nodded again before he pushed back from the table. “The prince has seemed not himself lately, tired. I really do think you are doing him good, regardless of what role you play. You encourage him to do things that a prince should be doing.” He stood and grabbed the water pitcher. “I'm going to get more water and wine. Stay here, I won't be long.”

Ka leaned back in his chair, lost in contemplation as the captain rushed away. There was a lot to consider. That must have been a truly defining moment, and clearly a painful memory for both men. Ka wondered about the prince's choice, but in truth it was probably just less difficult to speak the name that wasn't in the room with him. Less difficult, but still horrible. Tamul returned quickly and Ka politely refused his offer of more alcohol. He watched the guard drink instead, still wondering about the story. He wondered how it must have felt, agonizing to hear the prince's choice. The king really was a cruel man, he concluded.

It was not much longer before the door opened again. The prince returned, following behind Elia with his hands braced on her shoulders. Even with the little woman's help, the redhead was stumbling and veering off course. Toshan managed the door and corrected the prince's steps on the way to the bed. Tamul stood, joining the others to help Prince Re lay on his mattress. Then Toshan began removing the prince's jewels while Elia stripped off his sandals. The prince was already limp and completely passed out.

“I wasn't able to get him to drink any water,” Toshan apologized as they worked.

Tamul huffed a bit and frowned. “Stay attentive tonight then. He may need help whenever he wakes. What happened?”

“King Re yelled at him some,” Elia muttered. “Then he yelled at me some. I'm not allowed to come on this trip. I don't represent the kingdom's 'best'.”

Tamul looked shocked by this and then offended. “That is ridiculous! You're a better fighter than half the palace guards and smarter than most of them. Your size should be a point of pride!”

Elia smiled fondly at the young captain. “That's sweet. You're drunk.”

Tamul gained a distinctly pouting look as he agreed, “Fairly drunk, yes. It's still true though.”

“Well you've got time to prepare. The caravan won't be leaving for three days,” Elia told him.

The captain nodded and let out a final sigh. “I should go to sleep then. I'll inform Harim tomorrow and . . . I don't know. We'll figure it out.”

“When you are more rested, sir,” Elia said. “I can handle things here tonight.”

“There's still some wine left,” Tamul let her know. Then he pat her shoulder and turned to leave.

“Sleep well,” Ka told him. As the door shut behind him, Ka got to his feet. “And you both have a good night,” he said to the others and crossed the room to his little nest. Toshan followed and helped him settle, only grinning when Ka flustered under the attention. “Thank you,” the scribe said as he pulled his thin blanket close.

“I hope you sleep well also,” Toshan told him. He bowed and then stepped away as Ka quickly drifted off.

-o-o-o-o-o-

0