Chapter 38: Memories
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was well past midnight when the prince had stolen back into the palace, Tamul by his side. The king and his own private guard had been passing time in the gardens, waiting for the wayward prince's return. The redhead had been caught and dragged into the open courtyards to face his lecture among the greenery. King Re screamed at the top of his lungs, furious at the redhead's transgressions. The commotion was enough to alert any palace worker still awake and every one of them was quick to hurry away to avoid witnessing this.

How many guards are you going to put in chains?! Because you refuse to behave properly and stay in your place!”

The prince was just as angry, bristling against what he saw as unreasonable refusals. Mara was a courtier and from a well respected family. As the king yelled, the prince ordered his own thoughts in preparation to defend her. As the angry tirade concluded though and the king asked that question, Prince Re lost his momentum to argue. “What? What guards, what do you mean?”

You worthless boy!” The king screamed again. “The guards that fail their jobs when you pull these ridiculous stunts! Tonight's guard has already been locked away for completely failing in their posts. If they cannot keep track of who passes through the gates, then they are lucky I don't put them to death.”

That- you can't!” Prince Re floundered and stuttered. “If I am the one to leave, why is someone else punished? Every time I leave!?”

Every time you're found out,” Tamul said, trying to calm the redhead.

Suddenly the king turned and Tamul reflexively stood at attention as the full anger of a god was focused at him. “You are saying there have been other times?” The young guard's mouth opened, but no words came to him. The king stalked closer and raised a finger to point in Tamul's face. “I am tired of this! A palace guard and you cannot even follow the simplest order! What good are you? Worthless! If you cannot keep the prince within these walls, then it is time he has a different watcher. You'll be punished with the others.”

You cannot do that!” Prince Re screamed. “It was not his fault, I would have left regardless!”

And there would have been consequences regardless! There are always consequences, whether you are aware of them or not. How many guards have you put in chains? And this one now, he'll be in the courtyard all day, to be sure you remember in the future.”

Your majesty?” The king stopped his rant, turning to the hesitant question. His personal guard bowed before meeting the ruler's eyes to speak. “Sire, I believe you should know, this guard is my son.”

Is he,” the king growled as he turned back to examine Tamul.

The king's guard nodded and bowed again. “My only son, whose life I gladly give to you in service of this kingdom.”

Tamul's eyes widened in horror. A half-formed protest escaped him, but Tamul could only stand there numbly under the king's scrutiny. It was only a few heartbeats before King Re spoke again. The sudden calm of his tone stole any lingering heat of the desert night, chilling both younger men to the bone. “Palace guards pledge themselves to the kingdom, to the throne, to me. Any of them would give their life if it were asked of them. Is that right?”

Tamul struggled just to breathe. He stared back into the king's eyes, frozen to the spot. It took every bit of his will to nod and then finally he bent, slowly bowing to the king. “Of course, your majesty,” he whispered and his voice shook. He clenched his eyes shut, certain that he was about to die. He strained his ears and listened for the sound of his father's sword being drawn.

Instead he heard the king step away, his attention turning back to his own son. Prince Re was watching this with eyes as wide and round as they would go. There was no pride in his posture, no rebellion or defiance, only panic. “Tamul has not done anything wrong, he only wants to protect me,” the prince tried to argue.

The king lifted a hand for his silence. “There are always consequences to your actions,” he said coldly. “Someone will always pay. As ruler, you need to learn that you will often decide who lives and dies. So decide.”

The prince gaped at him, horrified to ask, “D-decide what?”

The guard or the girl? Who is going to pay the price for your mistake?”

Neither,” the redhead quickly answered. “They don't deserve any punishment.”

That is not an option. Someone will die for this and it will not be you. Choose.”

Die?” the prince yelped. He hadn't thought this could get any worse, he didn't think the ruler would go this far, but the king only met his gaze with a serious glare. “I . . . I will marry Mara-”

You will not,” the king interrupted harshly. “You are not ready. That is not what is best for the kingdom. You will not see her again, regardless of your choice.”

The prince raised a hand to his head, desperate to think of some escape. When he looked over he found Tamul was watching him, pale and looking as horrified as the prince felt. “Chain my guard. All day, all week-”

The king interrupted again, stepping right up to the redhead, only a hand's bredth from his face. “That is not your choice,” he growled in a low and menacing voice. “Make your decision, or they will both be executed tonight. Who will live?”

Prince Re could not look away from his father's cold and blank expression. The hand resting at his temple slowly dragged lower until he was covering his mouth. As if hiding the words would somehow shield the prince from them. “Spare Tamul,” he finally whispered.

Then the guard lives,” the king said immediately. He stepped away and turned to his own guard. “Bring the girl here in the morning. Compensate the family and put her in the harem, it would be a shame to waste such a pretty face.” He did not look at the prince again, King Re merely made his way back into the palace to retire for the evening at last.

When the older men had gone, Prince Re slowly sank down to sit on one of the garden benches. Not far away a strangled sob escaped Tamul as he struggled to keep his composure. The guard sniffed slightly, then stepped in front of the prince. “We should get you to bed, sire.”

Prince Re raised his eyes, taking in the guard's red eyes and barely restrained emotion. With no warning the prince surged to his feet. “You should have told me!” he snapped in anger. “You should have told me guards were being punished because of me!”

Would it have stopped you?” Tamul snapped back. Then he ducked down at once, apologizing for the outburst. “Sorry, my lord. I- I tried to keep anyone from finding out, to protect the guards and you.”

Sorry does little good! My father would have been right to punish you!” The prince's anger broke off abruptly and he lifted his hand again, tiredly cradling his head. “You do not deserve to die for something that was my own doing. Mara does not deserve to die . . .”

The king spared her,” Tamul quickly reminded. “He does not want her dead either, she will be well cared for in the harem.”

She does not deserve that either,” the prince said sadly, “but at least she has the appeal for that life.” He reached out and lay his hand against Tamul's breast plate.”My friend . . . what would he have done to you, if I had chosen differently?”

Tamul could not repress a shiver at the thought, certain that a quick death would be the best he could hope for. Rather than answer, he took the prince's hand and led him into the palace halls. “Come to bed, my lord. You need rest.” They both did after this disaster.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Prince Re woke with a little gasp. The last thing he could remember was going to bed . . . after choosing to put his first love to death. It didn't matter that it hadn't happened, that was still the choice he had thought he was making. Re lay still in the darkness, searching his memory for everything that had happened in the years since then. The dream had seemed so real, it was as if it had happened only the day before. It had been years, Re thought again to convince his muddled brain.

Then his stomach gave an angry flip. Prince Re let out a distressed noise and tumbled out of bed. He frantically grabbed the chamber pot and pulled it close before emptying his stomach of all the wine he had imbibed. The redhead stayed there for a while to be sure he was finished before he sat back and leaned against the bed.

“Sire?” Toshan greeted the prince with a full goblet of water and a reassuring smile. “Tell me anything I can get you.”

“This is fine,” Re muttered and sipped at the water. “Keep quiet.” The servant nodded. Instead of helping Re back into the bed, he brought floor cushions over and made sure the prince was comfortable where he was. The prince nodded his thanks again, then mumbled, “I need a pain elixer.” He put one hand to his head, attempting to lessen the headache that beat a steady rhythm in his head.

Toshan didn't say anything, hurrying out of the room quietly. It was Ka's voice to cut through the darkness. “Re? Are you all right?” The scribe had crossed the room to the bed and was reaching out towards the mattress, searching for the redhead.

Curiosity motivated Re to turn, looking across the rumpled bedding, from where he sat on the floor on the other side. “What are you doing?” He asked quietly and watched as Ka oriented on him properly. The scribe started to grope his way around the bed towards him and the prince chuckled slightly. He winced and held his head, asking aloud, “You cannot see in the dark, can you?”

Ke paused and then shook his head. “Not at all without a proper light. It hasn't been a problem much.” He reached the prince's side of the bed and knelt onto the floor.

The moon was still fairly full, but it wasn't in line of the windows at the moment. The darkness was not deep, but it was complete. “That explains a few things,” the prince said with a smile in his voice. He reached for Ka's hand, then leaned against his side. “Can you see me this close?”

Ka looked at the prince, actually touching him, and shook his head. “You are no more than an outline to me. I understand why Toshan hates the dark so much.”

“At least you are not afraid,” Re said as if to reassure him. Ka chuckled slightly at the thought that he was unafraid, even when so hindered. He decided not to ruin the prince's illusion, at least tonight. He heard the door again, then Toshans quiet footsteps as he approached. “Thank Re,” the prince mumbled and took the small cup that was handed to him. He drank the medicine quickly and shuddered, then drained his remaining water.

Re stood slowly, using the bed and Ka's support to keep steady. Then he tugged the scribe up as well and pulled him over to the bedside lamp. The prince lit it, flinching some at the rush of light. He groaned slightly, but took the torch in hand before turning back to Ka. “Is that better?” Ka nodded and the prince smiled at him. “Would you come with me? I want to visit someone.”

Ka blinked at him with surprise before he nodded his agreement. “If that is what you need,” he said before quickly changing it to, “If that's what you want, I wouldn't mind.” The prince lay one hand on his shoulder and Ka was happy to keep the redhead steady. He had no doubt who it was the prince wanted to visit and he admitted an undeniable curiosity. He was grateful for the torch, knowing the prince didn't really need it. Ka still couldn't see anything beyond the sphere of golden light, but he was grateful to at least be able to see the prince.

Elia fell in step beside them, staying quiet for the prince's sake. As expected, it wasn't long before they reached the harem and Elia unlocked the door for the pair. Those that were awake kept their distance, sensing their prince wasn't there for any of them. Instead Re led the way through the grand room until they reached a luxurious little bed. It was a sturdy, soft bed with drapes attached. These could provide some privacy, but at the moment they were pulled aside.

As they drew close Re let out a sigh, sounding annoyed. The young woman on the bed was asleep, but she wasn't alone. A little girl only a few years old was sleeping by her side and Re stepped close to shake her awake. The toddler whined as he pulled her close. “You aren't supposed to be here, Kai. Go back to bed,” Re told her sternly.

“I'll take her,” Elia volunteered and gathered up the whining girl.

Re helped and then watched as Elia headed back to the door. Ka meanwhile was focused on the young woman: Mara. They stood near her side and Ka had to agree she was pretty. Her features were angular and slim, attractive in a classic way. Her hair was long and straight and as she began to wake, Ka could appreciate her enchanting dark eyes. She gasped slightly as she saw her visitor and smiled as she sat up. “Your highness!”

Re flinched back and raised his hand. “Please, quiet.”

Mara laughed lightly and reached to take the small torch from Re. She used it to light another torch beside her bed and the whole little space was made bright in the dark room. “Did you drink too much today, my lord? What can I do to help?”

Re came to sit on the bed beside her, letting Ka do as he wished. “I'll be fine,” he said quietly, “It's just a headache.” Mara made a noise of concern and shifted closer to the prince. She pressed against his back, only the thin dress she wore holding back her modest bosom. She reached up and began to stroke the prince's hair and forehead. Re smiled at the calming gesture and began to visibly relax. After a few moments he opened his eyes and looked up at Ka again. “I wanted to introduce the two of you, Ka, this is Mara,” he said and looked to the woman again.

“The pleasure is all mine,” Mara said at once and bowed her head to Ka.

“Um, a pleasure,” Ka muttered awkwardly as his cheeks flushed.

Re stood from the bed again, putting a hand on Ka's arm again. “I thought you might enjoy this gift,” he told the scribe quietly. Ka only flushed darker at the thought. He didn't need the prince to clarify and apparently Mara understood as well.

She turned her attention to Ka standing just in front of her. She smiled and reached up to put a hand against his hip, but Ka frowned. “I'm not interested,” he protested and shifted back a step.

“I know,” Re said in an understanding voice. He stepped with Ka, staying beside him. “I will take you back if that's what you want.” Ka gave the redhead a dark glare, but the prince just continued. “I want you to consider it as a service. It is Mara's job to offer relief and satisfaction. Something I believe you could use.”

Ka wanted to step away again, but he found himself hesitating. Just thinking about this proposal was exciting his body. He groaned slightly when the woman stood and stepped close again. “I could use my mouth, if you want.” She lay her hand against his chest this time and Ka moaned slightly.

“I would like that,” Ka heard himself say. Mara smiled and stepped even closer, letting her hand trail down the scribe's chest to his groin. Ka let out a louder groan, gasping when she shifted his pants aside. Mara gripped him gently and then her other hand pulled him by the waist back towards the bed.

Ka groaned louder as the woman sat and pulled him close. He was already hard as she stroked him and leaned forward. Mara wasted no time, proving her skill as she sunk low around his member. Ka groaned again, quickly going weak in his knees. Re stepped close behind him to give support, but the prince kept quiet. It was only Ka's moans and the occasional moan from Mara.

The woman truly was skilled, sucking and swallowing around Ka repeatedly. He wasn't going to last and very soon he could feel his peak coming. Ka's hands tangled with Re's, leaning against the prince's chest as his body tightened. He threw his head back as he came with a small cry and then slumped limply against Prince Re.

The redhead stepped back and shifted Ka's weight into a nearby chair. “I'm sure that will make you feel better,” he whispered and pet back the scribe's bangs. “Stay here a moment and rest.” Ka nodded weakly, his breath still fast in the afterglow. He kept his eyes open just to stay awake and watched as Re stepped back over to Mara on the bed.

“Do you also need some relief, your majesty?” Mara temped as the prince sat beside her again.

Except Re shook his head in refusal. “I really did have too much to drink, there would be little point. I thought I would visit, sorry to have woken you.”

“I never mind being woken by you, Re.” Mara smiled and leaned into his side briefly. Then she looked around, seeming embarrassed to ask, “Was Kai here?”

“She's back in the nursery by now,” Re assured her. Then his voice turned stern. “You know she isn't supposed to be in here.”

“I know, I am sorry. I did not mean to fall asleep, I was going to take her back before I did.” Mara looked up at Re and leaned into his side again. “She is still young enough she needs to be with her mother sometimes.”

“Her father will get mad though,” Re admonished her. “Do not let the king find her in here or you will both be punished.”

“Then I am glad it was you to find me tonight,” Mara said. She was familiar with these visits though and she knew they were always brief. “I'm sure you need to get back to your chambers.”

“I do,” Re agreed as he began to pull away.

“I am always happy to see you, my prince.” Mara leaned close and the two kissed briefly.

Then Re stood and smiled down at her. “I am happy to know your life is good.” He turned to Ka again, smiling at the scribe. “Come back to bed,” he said and held his hand out to the brunet.

Ka did not hesitate and happily accepted the help to stand. He was smiling as well, actually a little touched seeing what amounted to Re checking up on this girl. The prince put an arm around his waist and Ka didn't object to standing so close. Then the prince took the torch again and began to lead the way back out of the room. Elia met them at the door and she gave Ka a knowing grin. “Quiet,” the scribe muttered to her. He was blushing and tried to cover it by nodding at the prince. “His head hurts.” Elia just continued to grin and led the way while the men walked side by side.

-o-o-o-o-o-

0