Chapter 40: Preparations
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Together, Re and Ka chose the best of his jewels. The prince trusted Ka's opinions in choosing the pieces that made him look official and dignified, picking lots of glimmering gold and a rainbow of precious gems. Then Re turned to his pet with a smile. “And where are the rest of your jewels?”

Ka blinked some in surprise before turning to gesture at his little sleeping space. “It's all there.”

Re nodded and strolled over to the small window. “I insist that you still adorn yourself properly while I am away,” the prince said as he knelt and looked the bracelets and necklaces over. “I trust your taste, just don't go around looking like trash.” He paused and glanced at Elia before looking back. “And don't wander without your guard, just in case.”

“I will be safe in her care,” Ka said to assure the royal.

Re nodded, pleased with the affirmation. Then he lifted one of Ka's pieces of jade and slid the bracelet onto his own wrist. “I will wear this every day until I am back.” He smiled at Ka again and reached out, running his hand along the scribe's jaw. Then he sighed slightly and moved to choose the clothing he would bring. “I will need to go to market before we depart,” he said casually. Ka was still trailing behind the prince and he cringed at the thought. Before he could protest though, Re was looking around for his servant. “Go and find Tamul so he can prepare.”

“He's probably at morning training,” Elia suggested.

The prince seemed caught off guard, hesitating a moment before he nodded. “Right, I'd forgotten. You go then,” he said to Elia. “Send the others back here, we will wait.”

Elia bowed before hurrying off and Re nodded his approval again. Ka groaned though, rubbing his head gently. “I do not want to go to the market,” he said with a tired voice.

Re waived away his concern. “You will be by my side, there is no danger.”

Ka narrowed his eyes in an angry glare. “That isn't the problem, it's not as if the palace is safe.”

“Which is another reason for you to come with me,” Re said in a firm and final tone.

Ka huffed and looked away. He quieted, but he did not want to accept this. It was humiliating to be paraded around, defenseless and half blind. It was bad enough within the palace walls, in the market had been so so much worse. At least he now had proper attire, Ka thought as he watched the prince pick outfits for the trip. Ka was wearing an off-white tunic today, the second shirt that had been added to his small wardrobe.

Prince Re was laying out the outfits that were standard for these trips: his finest regalia for meeting the conquered leaders as well as traveling clothes that he could be more comfortable in. “You'll have a travel cloak as well, for times I can bring you with me,” he said casually and looked over at his pet. He hesitated and frowned at the other's dark expression. The scribe was still scowling, glaring at nothing as he kept his eyes turned away. Re growled slightly as his own mood quickly fell, “Though why I should give you anything is a wonder, if this is my reward.”

Ka turned his glare on the prince before lowering his gaze again. “I am sorry,” he said with some sincerity. Then he looked up again, his eyes still angry. “This is what you will get though, if I am forced to do things I don't want to do. However I will not disobey my master,” he grumbled and lowered his eyes once more.

The words had the desired effect. Re pursed his lips, hesitant to accept such a clearly double-edged offer. Ka would indeed obey, but the damage to his trust would be irreversible. Re huffed and held one hand out as if weighing his argument. “I want you by my side. I want your input on the things that I intend to get for you.”

Ka's attitude softened and he looked up with a more reasonable expression. “I said last time, I cannot shop, I cannot see anything out there! I have no input to give.” Re growled again and then sighed deeply. Ka could sense he was winning this argument and he began to smile. “Besides, I trust your tastes, Re.”

The intimate name did not bring the calm Ka had hoped. Instead Re leveled a glare at him and stepped closer. “You realize you will not be staying here,” he challenged. Ka's surprise was clear on his face and Re nodded gruffly. “My guards are coming with me, Toshan as well. I cannot leave you alone, if you stay, you will be chained in the courtyard again.”

Ka's expression fell instantly. “Is- is that really necessary?” he pleaded with none of his earlier force of will.

Re smirked at his discomfort and noted that this threat still held weight with his rebellious pet. “It is. Unless you agree to come with me.”

Ka sighed rather heavily. “I do not want to go to the market again,” he said quietly.

Re sighed once more himself and reached out. He hooked a finger under Ka's chin and tilted his gaze up. He didn't say anything but he nodded and then pulled away to continue selecting his things. As he finished he turned to find Toshan and gestured to the piles of clothes and jewels. “You will pack these up for me, along with some of my new things. Run and find the prison official now, I want to schedule a sentencing today, as many prisoners as possible. Find me when you're done.”

“Of course, your majesty.” Toshan bowed and then made his way to the door. He hesitated before leaving however, and turned back. “I shouldn't though, right? The Captain wants me to act as guard if no one else is here.”

Re rolled his eyes. “Not if I am safe in my chambers. Go, do as I say.”

Toshan bowed again, but still hesitated. Then he perked as he heard footsteps in the hall. He bowed again before opening the door to admit Tamul and Harim before he left to deliver his message.

“You are a bad influence,” Re greeted his friend with.

Tamul paused in confusion a moment before he grinned. “Meaning I have encouraged someone to follow the rules?”

“Yes, my servant,” Re groaned as if it were a great annoyance.

Tamul just laughed lightly. “I am ever more impressed with your judge of character then, he's a good man.” Re rolled his eyes and openly scoffed, shooing him away. Tamul chuckled before he asked, “You're going out, my lord?”

“Yes, and I have other things I must attend to, so we should be on our way.” He strode to the door with authority, trusting the others to match his pace. They did, even Ka staying close without being ordered. Price Re led the way to the palace gates, looking over those who were gathering to accompany him. Rather than join the small throng, Re turned and continued through the halls a short ways. He ignored Tamul's question and soon enough found what he was looking for. A guard was walking towards one of the gardens, out of armor and therefor on his own time. Re raised a hand to stop him and the man immediately stopped to bow to the prince. “I need you for something,” Re said with no explanation.

The man still agreed without hesitation. “Anything, your majesty. How may I serve you?”

The prince seemed pleased, but turned to address Tamul. “You know him?”

The captain squinted at the startled guard a moment before nodding. “Saeed, isn't it? A soldier newly returned from the front lines.”

“Oh, no no,” Saeed quickly shook his head with a modest denial. “I've never been to the real front. My squad followed behind, more of a second wave, far less dangerous.”

“Well, Saeed, home now from cleanup duty,” Prince Re sneered slightly. “I need you to post guard over my pet until I return. Come.” Re turned sharply and led the way towards the large statue Ka had been locked to through the night. The scribe slowed as they neared it, but Tamul's hand on his shoulder ensured he didn't stop. The captain was the one to take Ka's hands, locking the shackles together behind his back before attaching them by chain to the monument. Meanwhile Prince Re turned to the guard he'd snagged with a serious expression. “I expect you to be sure no harm comes to my pet. Give him water if he asks and do not leave this spot. If anything should happen, remember that I know you, Saeed.”

There was a threat in the way he said the name. The guard in question gulped and then bowed. “You can be sure he will be safe, my lord.”

“Good.” Re nodded to the man, then stepped closer to Ka once again. “Unless you have decided otherwise?” Ka said nothing and Re huffed loudly. “Then stay here and I will return soon enough.” Re's words were clipped and annoyed as he stepped back and then turned. He made his way over to the larger group preparing to leave and Ka watched as the other men all followed him.

Ka continued to watch until he could no longer tell the little group apart from the rest. He could still see a flash of the prince's brilliant red hair now and then, but beyond that there was nothing Ka could distinguish. He did notice the prince's procession had a flag of the kingdom among it this time. Or perhaps it was part of the awning that served as the prince's shade, Ka couldn't be sure. Regardless, he stopped watching when the group began to move and that banner disappeared into the world beyond the palace walls.

Ka found his gaze drawn to the only thing close enough to examine: his guard. The man had slightly longer hair, the wavy brown locks going just a bit past his shoulders. He was wearing a long flowing tunic to protect from the sun and Ka realized for the first time that this guard was not supposed to be on duty. “I hope this isn't keeping you from anything important,” Ka said by way of an apology. The man didn't even turn and Ka belatedly remembered that most in the palace would not even speak to him. Ka let out a sigh, but still preferred this boredom to the panic of going out in the market. He leaned back against the statue and simply hung his head to wait.

As the sun began to sink and provided a bit more shade Ka made sure to shift into the bit of shade. He looked up now and then, but Saeed didn't move once, not seeming to mind the heat. Ka didn't last much longer before needing something more himself. “Saeed? May I have a drink?” The guard turned this time and nodded as he stepped closer. Then he untied a canteen from his own belt and Ka's eyes widened. “Oh- I- I don't need to take your own water,” he protested and pressed against the stone behind him.

The man just shook his head. “Where exactly would I get more?”

Ka realized the foolishness of his assumption and did not fight as the cool fluid was tilted into his mouth. Then he watched as Saeed called a servant and handed off the canteen to be refilled. “Thank you,” Ka said, trying again to build good will. “I appreciate any help the palace guards are willing to give me.”

For a moment Saeed remained turned away, but then he looked back. “You are not popular around here.”

“I know, I'm sorry,” Ka sighed.

“Some of the guards will never forgive you,” Saeed muttered quietly. “Some are starting to get over it though. You are far from the ferocious berserker that the tales suggest.”

Which essentially meant the guards were unimpressed when they saw him in person. The thought brought Ka a surprising amount of comfort. He couldn't help being curious though and asked, “What about you? Do you hate me?”

Saeed looked at him for another moment before he shook his head. “Doesn't matter.”

Ka frowned a bit more, certain that meant 'yes'. “Why doesn't it matter?”

The guard frowned more darkly himself. “Re wants you kept safe, that's all that matters.”

“I wouldn't want you to end up chained as well,” Ka sighed.

He was startled to hear Saeed laugh though. “Chains? I should be so lucky,” the guard scoffed. “The king would chain me. The prince is only satisfied by blood. You'll learn that sooner or later.”

Ka's eyes widened in surprise, but Saeed turned away again and went back to ignoring him and Ka was left with nothing but his thoughts. What Saeed said bothered him, but he wasn't sure if he could believe it either. Prince Re was certainly quick to threaten, but Ka had yet to see him follow through with any real violence. The scribe sighed and frowned. He had certainly seen cruelty though, as well as cold disdain. Ka was growing close to the prince, just as his position was designed to encourage, but he'd only been in the palace a month. There was still much he did not know, and perhaps some lies he had been too quick to believe.

There were many stories in the kingdom about Re's cruelty. As Ka had seen the prince's own troubles and kindness, he had attributed those stories to the king alone. Now he wasn't sure, if a guard who hated him was too scared to disobey the redhead. Even given insights from those close to the prince, how well did he really know Re? Ka spent the rest of his afternoon wondering if he really understood his master at all.

-o-o-o-o-o-

Hello again my readers, if any of you are still tagging along.

I'm back, a week late, but here. Sadly, irl life had to take a front seat. I'm very unhappy with the choices I've had to make and it killed my typing drive. It seems like I'm back, with luck I'll see you again next week with some more answers and insights into our unstable ruler and uncertain scribe. For those still reading, I do hope you're still enjoying.

0