Chapter 41: A Gift
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ka spent his time with his eyes lowered. The longer he was tethered to this spot out in the open, the more attention he began to attract. Ka could sense people stopping to look at him: servants with some curiosity and guards with a palpable hatred. Ka stared intently at the ground in the hopes he wouldn't unintentionally engage anyone.

The scribe only finally looked up when his guard sighed with relief. “At last, perhaps now I will be freed.”

A sentiment Ka shared as he looked up to see the prince's large entourage enter into the castle once more. The banner marked Prince Re himself and Ka was somewhat surprised to see it turn towards him right away. As Re drew near he waved the servants away with annoyance and the group shrank with every step the redhead took. He smiled as he stepped close enough for Ka to see him clearly. After a pause the scribe lowered his eyes again to mutter, “Welcome back, Master Re.”

The prince's smile widened before it faded into a more serious expression. “You should apologize,” he said quietly.

Ka looked up again in surprise. Then he glanced to the side, aware that there were still eyes watching him. “I am sorry,” he said submissively. The prince raised an eyebrow and Ka stuttered slightly, “For . . . for upsetting your plans?”

Re's smile returned and he gave his pet a small nod. “Good. I will return for you shortly.”

Ka's eyes widened again in alarm and he stepped forward as the prince stepped away. “Wait-” he stammered, but Re did not pause. Ka was still held by his chains and he sighed heavily as he watched the redhead leave. Ka groaned and then looked around for his guard, but it seemed Saeed had at least been allowed to leave. The guard that stood there now was dressed in his armor and was quite tall. “Tamul?” Ka asked, baffled.

The man turned and nodded. “Yeah, what?”

Ka groaned again and shifted back against the goddess statue. “Can I have some more water?” The captain nodded and Ka watched as he untied his own canteen, just as Saeed had done. Ka drank deeply, then groaned again. “Do I have to stay here much longer?”

“Re won't take very long,” Tamul told him with some sympathy. “He's still annoyed though, he may decide to eat his midday meal without you.”

Ka was quiet for a moment before he sighed again. “It is still better than being dragged out there.” Even now, hot from the sun and with his feet hurting from standing for so long, thoughts of going beyond the palace walls made his breath seize in his chest.

The feeling faded as he waited and the sun slowly sank further across the sky. It seemed Re's annoyance was great if it was the reason Ka was forced to remain here. It seemed obvious that the prince was deliberately drawing things out, to discourage any future upset to any plans he made. Ka found his thoughts lingering on Re's potential crimes and he found his eyes drawn to his guard. “Tamul?” he asked and waited until the man turned again. “Has the prince ever punished you?”

Tamul scoffed and laughed lightly. “No of course not. I have never disobeyed him.”

Ka sighed and a frustrated frown spread across his face. “Of course not,” he echoed with a slight growl. Then he sighed again and struggled to regain his calm. After a few moments more he asked, “What about the king?”

For a moment Tamul met his eyes, but then he quickly looked away. “A few times, for making mistakes as a young guard. I told you about Mara . . . for the most part Prince Re has decided my fate since we were young.”

Ka frowned more as he thought about that. Tamul's reactions just reinforced his feeling that it was the king that he should fear. “Has the prince ever punished anyone?” he asked hesitantly only to scowl as Tamul burst out laughing.

“Are you slow? Of course he has, what are you talking about?”

Ka huffed, but pressed on. “How?” he demanded. “How does he punish servants?”

Tamul calmed slowly, but he did try to regain a bit of decorum. “It depends on what they did,” he said before shrugging slightly. Then he stepped a bit closer and lowered his voice. “What is it you are trying to figure out?”

Ka hesitated for a long moment as he gathered the courage to ask. “Has he ever had someone killed?”

Silence stretched between the two and it did not fill Ka with confidence. When Tamul finally answered, it was vague. “Criminals and rebels are sentenced to death all the ti-”

“That isn't what I mean,” Ka cut him off harshly. “Indifference is deplorable enough, but I am asking if Prince Re has sent servants or guards to their death for no reason.”

“There is always a reason,” Tamul said.

Ka was still unsatisfied and amended his words. “For no good reason.”

The silence stretched again and Tamul turned away. “Prince Re is a good man, that is what you want to know. The world is not simple inside the palace, but Re is a good man and a good friend.”

Tamul did not look at him again, but Ka continued to stare. He'd gotten his answer, whether the guard would say it aloud or not. However it seemed Ka would have to ask for any details from the prince himself. He did not have to wait too much longer before he saw Tamul reacting to the royal's return. Ka turned to find the redhead approaching at a languid pace, seeming relaxed and content.

“Ah, my pet. Are you ready to come back inside?” Re asked in a friendly manner.

Ka pursed his lips in annoyance, but he forced himself to nod. “Yes, please Master Re.”

The prince reached out, cupping Ka's cheek briefly. “Good. Let's go.” Tamul was already undoing the chains and unlocking the cuffs from each other. As Ka's arms were freed he let out a groan and gently rolled stiff shoulders. Then Re's long fingers wrapped around one wrist and the prince encouraged him back towards the palace. “Come, before our food gets any colder.”

Ka's eyebrows raised in surprise. He opened his mouth, but then closed it without questioning anything aloud. If Re hadn't been eating though, Ka was confused as to what had taken the royal so long to retrieve him. Tamul was by their side and he pulled ahead to push the door open, giving Ka his answer. The room was quite full of people moving about and only now bringing the prince's new purchases inside. The reason for the delays became obvious when Ka noticed Elia half asleep and even less clothed on the royal's bed. The furniture and the woman both looked rather rumpled and it was clear Re had been spending his time with her.

Ka felt his jaw drop and his cheeks flush as he realized this, and to his horror he was only dragged closer to the scene. Re led him to the table before releasing his wrist and taking a seat. Ka sat slowly and raised one hand to his head, blocking the bed from his peripheral vision. There was flatbread waiting for him, cold now and served beside finer quality meats and vegetables that were hot and fresh from the kitchen. Ka picked up a bit of meat as his stomach growled. Before he'd moved far however, Tamul had stepped close and caught hold of his hand. Ka looked up, rather startled, but the guard just glared at him evenly.

“Do no forget your manners now.” The prince's voice was soft, but it drew Ka's attention. Re only met his eyes for a moment before he reached for a bite of food himself.

Ka held back his groan and instead let out a slow calming breath. Tamul released him, but Ka still waited for the prince to take another bite before he began to eat. Between mouth fulls, the scribe looked over his shoulder at the dozen or so servants that were milling about near the windows. When he looked back, he mumbled an apology. “Sorry, Master. I would not want you to have to punish me again.”

The prince nodded in agreement. “I do not want that either. I did give you an alternative,” he reminded and annoyance crept back into his tone.

Still mindful of the others in the room, Ka decided to formally thank the royal and bowed his head low. “Thank you, Master Re, for allowing me to stay behind. And thank you for ensuring my safety.” As he looked back up, the prince looked slightly stunned. The redhead blinked a couple of times before he nodded again in approval. Ka offered a strained smile before focusing on his meal once more. The pair ate in silence until the servants began to leave and Ka could not longer contain his curiosity. “Why are they being allowed in here?” He looked over his shoulder again, this time to try and see what was being arranged.

“It is for you,” Re reminded him. He abandoned the last of his food to stand, keeping his eyes on Ka, who rose somewhat hesitantly. The unusual servants were still finishing up, leaving one by one with a deep parting bow to their prince. Re ignored them completely as he led his pet across the room.

As Ka was able to see the new layout, his jaw dropped again. It was only Re's steady guidance that kept him moving towards the new furniture in the room. “W-what . . .” Ka could only stammer in shock. “What did you get me?”

Hush,” Re growled lightly, keeping track of the last of the servants. Once Toshan shut the door behind them, the prince focused again on Ka and tilted his chin up. “There, we are alone now, you may relax.”

Ka appreciated being told, but he was still too stunned to relax. “What is all this?”

Re sighed and moved to the new raised bed that sat where his pillow nest had been. It was fairly simple, but made of fine wood and topped with a mattress of similar quality to Re's. The redhead lowered himself onto the bed before gesturing to it. “This is what I wanted you to have before I left. I welcome you to use my own bed of course, but you have stated you prefer your own space.”

“I- I do, yes,” Ka mumbled, dumb founded. “Thank you.” He stepped closer and set on the bed beside Re. The mattress was soft and the sheets covering it were brand new. He did finally start to relax and a smile tugged at his lips.

“I would have preferred you be with me for the choice . . . but you like it?” Re asked, smiling more when Ka nodded. “Does it quell your hatred of me, at least somewhat?”

Ka was silent for a moment, thinking before he spoke. “I understand that much of what you do, you do because you must maintain a certain character in front of others. Even if I dislike those choices you are forced to make,” he paused and met the prince's gaze. “I do not hate you. You haven't done anything that bad . . . that I am aware of.”

A smile spread across Re's face, reassured by those words. He reached out again and cupped the brunet's cheek. “That means a lot to me, truly.” He pulled away slowly and sighed as he stood up. “I have other things I must attend to. You are fortunate; you may stay here this time.”

That definitely improved Ka's mood and he smiled more. “Thank you, Re.”

The prince nodded, then sighed again. “I will see you for dinner. Enjoy your things until then, Harim will get you anything else you need.” Re smiled again, just for a moment before he turned away from his pet and trudged out to attend his duties.

-o-o-o-o-o-

0