010 – THE TEMPTATION
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I am so SORE!" Brittany shouted with a heavy sigh before collapsing on top of the new bed, utterly drained. "What would I have done without you!" 

Amber's parents had a few connections and were alumni of the school. The networks provided a few special treatments, one of which was a private apartment suite for all four college years. She often referred to it as a dorm room, though for the purpose of appearances. And now the days would be less lonely. 

"Probably linger around until I show up, then implore for help," Amber echoed from on the other side of the room. She laid sprawled out on top of her own bed, tired and aching from the physical activity. 

With some aid from Brittany's parents, the two finished moving all of the baggage from the car to Amber's place on the fourth floor. Between the four of them, it only took about forty-five minutes. It also helped that Brittany had little to move in with other than the essentials. As for the furnishings, Amber had already requested a second bed and study table across the room.  

"How lucky!" Brittany's eyes closed against the cool cotton blanket beneath. "I didn't realize dorms came furnished with a full kitchen." 

"It's not public knowledge. Do refrain from telling people." Especially this particular dorm they were staying in, a place meant more for the faculties. The building apartment was owned by the campus and leased out to personnel or seniors who can afford the outrageous rent. According to Amber, there weren't too many faculty members. She had seen a few senior students here and there, but they were more in Liam's circle. 

"Duly noted," Brittany got up to grab the remote and flipped on the 40" TV. Then, with a resounding plop, she landed back down on her belly. "My first class isn't till one pm tomorrow. This means… horror movie night!!" 

Amber sat up in bed, shuddering. "I'm not as brave, so I'm going to do some reading and head to bed first. Plus, I have a 9 am class." 

"Therefore, you shouldn't schedule classes so early in the morning." Brittany continued flipping through the channels for something scary but paused at the evening broadcast. "Check it out. It's your boy, Liam." 

Amber turned to the TV by the window on top of the dresser table. Liam was front and center on the screen, garbed in a tailored white suit with cuffs, waving at the crowd. He gleamed at the camera as it panned in on his face, inviting in a few hopeless sighs from the group of female fans. On either side of him were outlandish females decked out in gaudy gowns and silk, incomparable to the ones encountered at the library. Indeed, these were distinguished models wrapped around his arm. Literally.

With such beauties at his beck and call, why would he ever need Amber? 

"Heir of Cyber Consulting Liam Riley Reception Party," Brittany read the headline scrolling at the bottom. She glanced over. "How come you're not there with him?" 

"He's a snake in disguised," Amber turned away and picked up the book acquired from the bookstore hours earlier before closing. "I'm only marrying because of duty." 

"Such a romantic." Brittany chuckled and continued inspecting the young man. "Not too bad. Definitely has the tall, mysterious, and dangerous manner about him." 

"I'd say go for it if you're interested." Amber found her wireless earbuds and turned on the phone. "But I wouldn't want you hurt, so it's best to avoid him all together. Plus, it might get awkward in the future after marriage." 

"No, thanks." Brittany seized and tossed the pillow at Amber, laughing. "I'm not interested in a narcissist. I want someone who will cherish me as well." 

Amber smiled sardonically. "Does such a possibility exist?" 

"It does!" Brittany crossed her limbs and leaned forward. "I found mine." 

Amber was getting ready to press play and hesitated. Intrigued, she glanced up. "You found yours?" 

Brittany flushed before nodding. "We met in elementary school, the sweetest boy I've ever seen. Told him I wanted to marry him." 

"And? What did the boy say?" Amber asked, genuinely interested. 

"He laughed, telling me to wait until I'm older to decide. Feelings might change in the future." 

Amber nodded. "Smart boy for being so young." 

"Exactly!" Brittany nodded, lighting up. "I said my feelings will never diminish, and it hasn't to this very day." 

"So, where is he now?" Amber couldn't contain her own enthusiasm. "When do I get to meet him?!" 

"I don't know," Brittany admitted. "Back then, we moved around a lot, so I only stayed at the school for about six months. I lost touch after that and have been searching since." 

"Talk about hopeless romantic." Amber settled an earbud in. "Pining after a boy who might not even remember you after all these years." 

"How do you know he won't recognize me? I remember him!" Brittany sounded doubtful, even to herself. "There's no way he'd forget after rescuing me so much..."

Because she looked like a helpless puppy, lost in thoughts, Amber threw her pillow back. It knocked Brittany softly on the side of the forehead, and her eyes widened in disbelief. 

"I was joking." She laughed at the bewildered expression. "Don't listen to me. How can anyone forget such a cute face? I'm sure he's doing his best to look for you at the moment." 

Brittany gestured, about to throw the pillow in Amber's face, but stuck out a tongue instead. "I'm distracting you. Turning on my movie now." 

Amber placed the other earbud in and pushed play, wondering about her own sad love life. A steady flow of Mozart music floated in and, with a sigh, focused on the first page. 

About two pages in, the notification went off, pausing the music briefly before resuming. 

A text message. 

Amber peeked at Brittany, glued to the TV, eyes wide and mouth slightly parted in anticipation—or dread. Amber's eyes flew back to her cell. 

A text from a number she'd seen just this morning. In fact, she'd been meaning to check the contact information but never got around to it. Now Amer's lips curled, reading the name that popped up: Morman Down There. 

[Good evening, beautiful. Guess who I'm thinking about at the moment?]

Amber shook her head slightly, her smile growing. Fortunately for her—and unfortunately for him—she was busy. Amber turned back to her book… and another text came in. 

[Don't turn away. I'm much more interesting than that boring IT book of yours.]

Once more, he piqued her curiosity. Was he spying from somewhere? All things considered, it was impossible. He didn't even know where she lived. 

Amber picked up her cell, fingers itching to reply, but she didn't move. Instead, standing by, wondering what Hunter would say next or if he would eventually go away with a lack of response. 

[I'm not spying, but I was curious and did some research. You're living at the Bumblebee Building.]

Interesting... While student addresses weren't precisely a secret inside the campus, Amber's address wasn't necessarily public knowledge. So how did he find out about her actual whereabouts? 

[Finally caught your attention, haven't I? If you want to know, why don't you ask?]

There was a break in between messages.

[I dare you.]

So, he had her figured out, didn't he? Amber's fingers moved nimbly across the phone keyboard before hitting send. 

[It's not that difficult to figure out. From a fellow IT student to another, the information is easy to find if you know where to look. Let me guess… a programmer?]

His response was immediate, and he knew exactly what she was referring to. While Hunter didn't acknowledge her question directly, she got her answer. 

[Are you one yourself? I didn't peg you as such. My mistake. How can anyone so gorgeous be so clever?]

Amber paused before typing again, ignoring his last comment. He was a flirt, after all.  

[I don't enjoy programming, but if I must, I will.] 

Her fingers continued to move, stopping only after she sent the second text. 

[And that's different from the programming you and I are speaking of.]

They were talking about two different things. One was actually programming itself, where a series of codes instructed the computer on what to do. The other was hacking, which required programming expertise. Most programmers evolved into hackers because who better understands source systems and exploits than those who code them? Amber knew the basics, the various languages employed, and a bit of hacking knowledge, but that was it. Her craft was more around protecting rather than invading. 

[I'm a master at it and will teach you… for the right price.]

Amber couldn't help but grin at the text. You and two other people. 

Both her parents, to be more precise. They've been striving to get her into more programming, not just to build applications but to learn more about the hacker world. However, it was not something Amber enjoyed. Yes, it was imperative to grasp enough at a high level, but that was about the extent of her enthusiasm. 

[No, thank you. I don't plan on making it a hobby, and I don't have to stalk others to get what I want.]

[Ouch! You make me sound psychotic. I vow I'm not. Just genuinely intrigued.]

[And what a way to show it, looking her up instead of asking.]

[The last time I tried, she provided a fake name.]

[Touché.]

Amber lowered her head and suppressed a chuckle, careful not to disturb Brittany. Not that she was paying attention anyway, cemented to her own screen. So was Amber's, but for a different reason. 

[Speaking of which, you and I are going to be good friends starting tomorrow.]

There was only one explanation. Amber feigned ignorance.

[Why is that?]

[I'm sure someone lovely and bright as you can figure that out.]

Yes, but that would be too easy. An excellent time to stop the distraction, no matter how tempting. 

[All right then. Good night. I need to get back to reading now.]

Surprisingly, no arguments from Hunter. 

[Yes. It certainly is a wonderful night. Let's continue this talk tomorrow.]

[Sweet dreams.]

Was he like this to all girls, or just her? Amber waited patiently for any more distractions, but none came. Five minutes into it, she finally set her phone down, somewhat disappointed. Hunter confirmed her suspicion, though, and she returned to reading, smiling. 

They were going to be in the same classes, after all.

The thought of it shouldn't matter. Yet why was her heart doing cartwheels? 

1