018 – BOSSMAN’S FRIENDS
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No matter how hard she tried, Amber could help keep her eyes from straying to the door all throughout class. The one where Hunter exited through. When it became apparent, with fifteen minutes left, that Hunter was not coming back, Amber finally gave up, disheartened. 

Five minutes before the period ended, the Professor dismissed the students to get to another appointment on time. For Thursday's class, it would require laptops per the instructor's direction. Questions were to be filtered through email or at her office at the posted times noted on the syllabus.

Amber caught most of it before her mind began to wander. She sat there, binder, pen, and books still out, as if she wanted the class to resume, while all around, students started gathering, preparing to leave. Amber paid them no heed, though, as she tapped the end of her pen against her lips. 

Why did he leave in the middle of class, and where did he go? But, most importantly, why didn't he say anything to her before he left? 

"Hey, Bosslady," a voice interrupted, and Amber turned around to find Nathan sitting on top of the desk where Hunter's stuff had been. The blond nerd she saw coughing earlier stood next to Nathan, a smile on his face.

"Nathan?" Amber gazed around the empty classroom. "What are you still doing here?" 

"Waiting for you. Bossman would kill me if I left you alone. Come on. I'll walk you back to your place." 

 "We'll walk her back to her place," the blonde student nudged Nathan in the stomach, and Nathan winced. He turned his bright blue eyes to Amber. "Hi. I'm Adam McKnight, by the way." 

"He was the person on the phone earlier," Nathan nonchalantly nudged Adam right back. "Are you ready? Or do you want to stay here for a bit?" 

"I'm ready," Amber stood up and grabbed her backpack. 

"Your stuff?" Nathan remained where he was and gave Amber a bewildered expression before glancing back down at her desk. 

Amber's eyes mirrored his and realized she had yet to pack. Her items were still scatted on the table, along with her water bottle and phone. She smacked her forehead gently. She wasn't usually this forgetful, particularly in front of others. 

"Don't worry," Adam leaned a hip against the table as Amber started filing her items away one by one. "We're all like that when he's gone as well." 

Amber raised a questioning brow at Adam and pretended she didn't know what or who he was referring to. "Like what with who?" 

Nathan kicked Adam in the leg before beaming at Amber. "Bossman had to go take care of some family matters. He's nothing like the heir you mention, hiding behind others."

"As for having some strange, demented, or ill disease, we've yet to see," Adam finished, and Nathan smacked him on the head. Adam gave Nathan an evil glare before punching him in the shoulder. 

Amber ignored their minor scuffle, focusing on getting her items packed while processing what Nathan had just told her. So, it looks like Hunter wasn't without family issues, too. Hopefully, it was nothing too serious that he couldn't take care of. She straightened, fingers brushing against her cellphone within her pocket. It had been mute throughout the class, and it was still quiet, even now. 

"I guess you guys heard my conversation?" Amber's eyes brushed Nathan and Adam skeptically, zipping her backpack. Oddly enough, she felt a little better now at the news. 

Just a little bit, though. 

Amber racked her brain, eyes zooming in on Adam. "Your mom's the VP of Infrastructure." 

She didn't mention the company; she didn't need to. 

"You're more informed than others," Adam nodded, confirming her suspicion.

What were the sons of VPs of Pro Securities doing on this campus? And why were they hanging out with Hunter? Amber thought about it for a couple of minutes before throwing her backpack over her shoulder and crossing her arms, facing them. 

She studied the two before finally saying, "There's a rumor the Asheton family's heir is apparently attending this school. If you two are looking to use Hunter and his skills to do something illegal, forget it. I will not allow him to do it, and I will make your lives miserable if you try to blackmail him." 

Nathan and Adam stared at her, eyes wide, mouth closing and opening before closing again. Amber wasn't surprised by their reaction. Another suspicion confirmed. While she didn't know how excellent Hunter's skills were with a computer, she knew his confidence wasn't just for show. The story of them all being childhood friends could also very well be valid; however, Amber always had a trust but verify approach to life. 

"That—that's not how it is at all!" Nathan blurted, infringing on her thoughts. 

Amber said nothing but raised a brow, which said everything. 

"Bossman is doing the blackmailing!" Nathan looked like he wanted to cry. "He's the one making us do—"

Adam covered Nathan's mouth. 

Well, that very well could be true, too. Amber moved out of the aisle and started towards the exit. With courses still in session or done for the day, the halls were clear except for the three of them. 

"If that's the case, I'll have a talk with him," Amber didn't know who was lying or who was telling the truth. Maybe it was time to sit down with Hunter and have a nice heart-to-heart chat about the issue at hand? Figure out who should and shouldn't be trusted. 

"That's actually not needed," Adam said, a bit too somberly. Then, behind Amber, he scowled at Nathan, mouthing to him: He's going to kill us! After his scowl, he continued. "Really! Nathan was just being Nathan. Bossman isn't making us do anything we don't want to do." 

"Yes, yes!" Nathan hastily agreed wholeheartedly. "Please don't mention what I just said to him! Please?"

They were outside now, and the sun was beginning to make its descend. There was still another four hours or so left of daylight, which meant Amber could make her way to the library to get some studying done. She stretched as the cool breeze blew against her skin and raised her head towards the sun. 

Scratch that! It's too beautiful a day to be inside! 

"Bosslady, is that a yes?" Nathan chuckled nervously, unsure what to make of her silence.  

Amber took a step down the five flights of stairs and turned to Nathan and Adam. There was a wayward smile on her face, and her eyes were twinkling. "I promise I won't mention it as long as you guys tell me why you call me Bosslady." 

"Why, that's easy enough," Nathan gave a deep sigh of relief. He scratched the back of his head, a smile spreading. "You're Bosslady because you're the—"

Adam moved forward and started ruffling Nathan's hair, once more intervening.

Amber turned away from them, shaking her head. It was apparent something was going on here, something they didn't want her to know about. That was fine since she was in no rush to find out. Sooner or later, one of them will have to reveal their hands.  

"Stop it! Why are you doing that?" Nathan shoved Adam's arm away, but it came right back. The two got into a mini brawl, tugging, and striking at one another, Amber all but forgotten.

When the two finally stopped to look around, Amber was already halfway down the block. 

"Bosslady! Bosslady!! Wait up," Nathan shouted. He pushed Adam one last time before taking off after Amber. Not wanting to be left behind, and he needed to pay Nathan back for the shove, Adam ran after them. 

0