Chapter 386
773 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unaware of the danger of stepping on the tiger's tail, Bernhardt and Testarossa continued talking.

'To continue where we left off, do you want to leave it to me to deal with the Harvest Frontier Count?"

'No, not to that degree, not to that extent. As I'm sure you know, the Harvest Frontier Counts' objective is to get mithril from the mithril mines owned by our family.

'You said something about him starting some kind of new business?"

'Yes. There was no mention of it in the letter, but that's probably what it's all about."

"So you're saying that I'll be handling the visitors and father will be doing the negotiating?"

Yes. "If possible, I'd like you to make an effort to make a good impression. Ideally, I would like the Harvest Count to be impressed by you."

"I think that would be difficult. After all, the Fourth Princess is at his side, and a woman of my stature won't even faze the Harvest Count."

'It's only an idea. It would be good if we could make him feel a little better about us and that it would be beneficial to build a friendly relationship with us."

"I will do everything I can to help. Be careful not to say anything that could be construed as a gaffe, father."

"I'll be as down-to-earth as possible. I Don't want to be antagonised.?

 Bernard will do everything he can to avoid the worst possible outcome.

 No matter how much it might humiliate him, he would not want to antagonise Leold

 Leold is not that narrow-minded, however.

 He was originally made a fool of for his past deeds, so a few abusive words are no more than the wind and rain from Leoldo's perspective.

 However, if he were to abuse Leold to his face, Sylvia, not Leold, would not allow him to do so.

 The past sins are not wiped out, but considering Leold's achievements up to the current day, it is outrageous to abuse him, even if you admire him.

'Well, I'll use a few sycophants so it doesn't seem unnatural."

'Don't be too upbeat, though."

"It's hard to know how much to say. Her Highness the Fourth Princess will be there, and she might get suspicious."

"She's a tough opponent. ......"

'I'm telling you, you're in for it too. I don't think you have anything to worry about."

"As I said before, I'll do my best."

"Sorry. Please do.'

 Bernhardt reminded Testarossa, as if to remind him.

 Then Testarossa bowed and left Bernhardt.

 Left in the room, Bernhardt exhaled heavily, sat back deeper in his chair and looked up at the ceiling.

"Busy days ahead: .......'

 With that last murmur, Bernhardt silently finished his work.

 After leaving the room, Testarossa was about to return to her private room when she saw her aide running up to her.

"Oh, what's the matter?"

"You have a visitor , my lady."

'A visitor? Who is it?

 Testarossa tilts her head and wonders who could have come to visit her at a time like this.

 

        Of course, Testarossa herself has informed those close to her that she will be away from the Order for a while.

 However, she has not told them on what business she is leaving the Order.

Duchess of Van Steen.

'Elina, right. ......'

 When she heard my name, she immediately recognised me.

 Elina had heard from Duke Van Steen that Duke Flugel and Leold were in contact.

 If this is the case, it is easy to see why Elina came to see Testarossa.

'I wonder if she came to give advice as a friend. ......"

 The fact that Elina is giving her advice now doesn't help.

 To begin with, the current Leold isn't the carefree and shameless person he used to be.

 Erina probably knows that, but she still doesn't want to recognise Leold.

 Testarossa exhales heavily and greets Elina, saying that it is not hard to understand, but considering the situation, it is necessary to separate the two.

 At the entrance, Elina, who normally works in the royal capital as a female knight, was waiting for her wearing a dress.

 She looks a little grumpy, is it because she has been kept waiting, or is there another explanation?

' ((She's a really narrow-minded girl when it comes to Leo, isn't she? ......)'

 Testarossa immediately saw why Elina was so sulky.

'She probably came to give me advice both as a friend and as a love rival.

 Testarossa stood in front of Elina with mixed feelings: happy, but also annoyed.

'Welcome, Elina."

"'m sorry for the sudden visit. But I really wanted to chat with you."

'I'll show you inside. Follow me."

 Testarossa leads Elina into the house.

 She heads straight for her room with Elina in tow, and instructs her side servants to bring her tea cakes

"You can make yourself at home."

'Excuse me.'

 When Testarossa asked her to sit on the sofa, Elina said a few words before sitting down.

 The furniture in Testarossa's private room was very comfortable, and Elina enjoyed the feel of the sofa for a few moments.

'So what do you want to talk about?'

'Don't be silly. You know it's about Leold, don't you?"

"You're impatient. Why can't you give me a little time to enjoy the conversation?"

"I can't afford to be! My friend is about to be forced to marry a man she doesn't like!"

"Elina. Elina, calm down."

'Calm down. ......! How can Theresa be so calm? We are talking about Leold, you know! Are you sure that's what you want!"

'Watch your mouth! Elina. A mere duchess is not allowed to speak ill of the Harvest Frontier Count, who is recognised by the king and trusted by the people."

"He's a criminal!"

"So what does it matter?'

"Damn it, ......! Theresa, do you even know what you're saying?"

That line goes straight back to you.

"Why don't you understand? I'm trying to protect you..."

"Why can't you understand? Leo, it's not really match for us anymore."

"Well, that's ......"

"You're biased against Leo, you know that, don't you? I know you're angry, frustrated, but it's time to admit it Leold Harvest has made mistakes in the past, but he is an excellent person and he's not a threat."

[............]

 Elina, who had been excitedly leaning in towards Testarossa, is silenced as if cold water had been poured on her.

 As if in anticipation, Testarossa's personal attendant brought her some tea and sweets.

 Elina stares at the tea and sweets on the table in a daze, while Testarossa begins to drink the tea with a nonchalant expression on his face.

'What about Sieg, ...... ?'

 Elina asked Testarossa while looking down at the tea in her own hand.

"Hey, Elina. Don't you think love and dreams are the same?"

'...... what are you trying to say?'

'Don't you see? Really?'

"I guess it's both a dream and a... ......"

"You know exactly what I mean. Yes, I do. Love and dreams will eventually awaken. I've already woken up."

"Does that mean you're just going to give up? You love him, don't you? You like Sieg, right?"

 The woman's face is distorted with tragic love.

 There was no face of a girl distorted by a tragic love, but the face of a woman who had put the past behind her and smiled fragilely as she set out on a new path.

'Yes, yes. I've decided to move on. I can be a maiden in love, but I can't be a dreaming girl forever."

'Ah!'

 Testarossa's words hit Elina hard in the heart.

 Although romantic marriages are permitted, they are only for appearances, and in reality they are not very welcome and are often opposed.

 The reason for this is that there are many disadvantages.

 If an aristocrat marries a commoner, they may break up due to differences in their values and living standards.

 Not only that, the commoner has to be educated as a noble, which takes time and money.

 Relationships are also complicated and have to be worked out, which may lead to narrow-mindedness.

 The same applies to aristocrats.

 Romantic marriages, unlike political marriages, have no advantages.

 If the partners are from the same family or have the same fortune, there is no problem, but if one family has a problem with the other, they will not want to be together, no matter how much they love each other.

 And parents are against it.

 In the worst case scenario, they physically erase the other person or eliminate him or her socially.

 Of course, it's not all bad.

 It is happiness and a comedy when two people who love each other are united.

 But that is only in fiction, not in reality.

 The tale may end when the prince and princess are united, but in reality, it continues afterwards.

'Elina. You should give up the idea that love is all you need. Because love, even if it is gratuitous, is not infinite. One day it will cool down. Maybe it won't, but for me that time has come."

'So that's why you're coming to Léold?'

'You must think I'm a shallow woman. But I'm proud that I made the best choice. Because even if I don't love Leo, I have trust and respect for him. You have everything that is precious in life. It's just that love isn't there."

'That's not just vain. ......'

"It's not vain, it's just that the person I love hasn't looked at me the way I want him to."

'............'

 Turning her face down again, Elina looked at her reflection in the tea.

 It's a terrible face. She looked sad, as if she was about to break down and cry.

 Testarossa drinks her tea, which has become a little tepid, while understanding how Elina looked, and says what she wants to say.

'I enjoyed my time at the academy. Unlike the other nobles, Sieg, he really got on with everyone without worrying about differences in status, and everyone had a smile on their face. I spent only two years with you and the others, but I really enjoyed it and was happy."

 The fact that she is not happy at the moment makes Elina want to question her, but Testarossa's speach is not over yet.

'But after I graduated from the academy and joined the Knights because I wanted to spend more time with you guys, I finally realised that it was just a temporary dream. "

 As a student, things were peaceful and without any sort of restrictions.

 Sieg was at the centre of it all, laughing and enjoying life with friends.

 But it was only a temporary illusion.

 Outside the academy, Testarossa was the daughter of the Duke of Flugel, and she could not hang out with the commoner boys who had been her friends during her school days, nor could she talk to them casually.

 She finally realised this when she discovered that her commoner friend, who had joined the same order of knights, was being harassed by the nobility.

'It was a really good dream. I've already awoken, though.'

 After drinking the rest of her tea, Testarossa took a pinch of pastry and smiled cheerfully.

'Mmm, delicious.'

6