Chapter 29: Veronica.
1.2k 0 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 29: Veronica.

Kein's POV

Rose and I became much closer friends. Eventually we started hanging out after our work at the orphanage. We had a spare hour or two and we would go to our meeting place.

The huge tree that always changed colors.

I remember the second time we met when she fell down and hurt her hand. I had to fix it for her. Now kind of looking back on it that was chivalrous of me, well sort of.

We were sitting on the top of the tree quietly as I dangled into the branches. Rose was just kicking her feet in sway with the breeze. "Kein why do our noses run? But feet smell?" she asked, giving me that curious look of hers.

I tilt my head in annoyance as I recall back to her question, "Is this a riddle?"

"Think about it. We have a runny nose. We have smelly feet but why are they named like that?"

I was about to give her an answer until I realized. "Wait, hold on- I need to think."

Runny nose- smelly- wait isn't it the opposite? Wait what?

Rose saw my reaction and laughed as her stomach grumbled. I gave her a deadpan look as she scratched the side of her cheek.

I sighed, someone is even more of a glutton than I am it seems. I placed my hands on my waist as I smiled widely, "You wanna go eat?"

Rose's eyes light up as she gracefully waves down from the branch, "Yes please!"

We went down the tree carefully sliding down, I asked her what kind of food was alright with her and she told me that even if she is a child of faith of the light she has eaten fish before by accident. "I ate boiled junii-fish before and it was delicious but when my father found out that I did the chef was immediately banished from the kingdom because he forgot that we just became the children of lights that year."

"I see, but if you stop being a child of light or whatever you can eat it again right?" I ask considering the possibility of it.

Rose nods happily but then she shakes her head sadly, "I wish but I can't go back to that now even if it means I can't eat my favorite food anymore."

I crossed my arms in deep thought and then thought of a good idea. "Hey if we can find a professional chef for us I'll ask them to make a replica of its taste. Sure it won't be the same but the taste will still be there you know?"

Rose's gray eyes were now full with hope giggling in reply, "It would be wonderful to taste it again. I'll hold you onto that."

In the end I just bought her some steamed potatoes. I paid for it of course because I'm a woman with a job! The steamed potato was warm and perfect for a breezy cold day like this.

Rose and I were walking mindlessly looking around the town trying new things together.

There were a couple of books stalled outside, having nothing to do. We set a course into that book stall trying to find a book that interested us.

"Kein! Kein! Kein!"

I look over to Rose who has her hands gripping on a leather bound book as she is waving it off showing it to me excitedly. "What's that book about Rose?"

"It's a forbidden book from [Sprivanto]. It has two girls having a romantic relationship on it..." (Rose) whispered the last bit to me as I yanked the book closer to my eyes. I read the whole synopsis, the book was titled [My Beautiful Butler] and its genre was fantasy mixed with a whole master x servant relationship between two girls.

If it's gay of course I'm buying it.

"We're so reading this." I told her and I paid two gold coins for it. There was only one book left so I guess we'll just have to share.

"Let's read it together when we get free times like these after volunteer work at the orphanage!" (Rose) exclaims as she holds the book tightly in her chest like it was some sort of treasure she never wants to let go.

"My older cousin Lenard also had his share of forbidden books. He promised me to mail some when it arrives." Lenard has been doing well thanks to Ellis, he has been writing everything they did together but I never saw anything Lord Vincent related in his recent letters.

"Lucky. If my parents saw these they'll never let me hear the end of it. Kein looks like you'll be keeping it." she says, offering me the book.

"I wouldn't want your parents to chew on you so yeah. I'll be keeping it for now." I took the book and placed it on my [Storage Ring].

We continued exploring some more and eating as well- who knew we had the same appetite. At this point my savings will collapse in a month.

"Oh! Little charmer and her little girlfriend too~ perfect timing~"

I was holding a kebab and Rose was holding some candied fruit looking behind us and seeing Veronica who waved gracefully toward our direction. "Oh! It's been a while Veronica!" I yelled over to her walking closer forward.

"It's... you... hi." (Rose) hides behind me holding my sleeves protectively. I forgot what most conversations these two mostly hand.

"Still territorial I see... hmm will you feel better if I told you I have a fiancé now?" (Veronica)

She's engaged now?! No!!!

I mean congrats ahem- but I'm sad now because she's my type of woman. I have met his fiancé, Peter. I think his name was. He hasn't appeared much so I already forgot his name.

For the last time if only it weren't for this cursed body! "C-Congrats. I'm happy for you." I told her that I felt my soul leaving my body.

"Oh! Okay! Yes, that makes me feel better for some reason!" (Rose)

Well at least Rose is taking it well on that news. I tried my best not making a disappointed face because well I'm really happy for her really.

Veronica looks well, I looked over her ring finger and saw there was already a golden ring on it. Peter that lucky bastard. I scratch my head as Rose hugs on my sleeve, ah right we still need to explore. I better ask Veronica needs. "So what do you mean by perfect timing?"

"Oh dear. You see, I was supposed to perform this afternoon at the [Magicare] talent competition but my fiancé is currently fixing my guitar at the last minute." (Veronica) rubs her temples as if she caught a huge headache over this. "Madam Prisha got me a gig and they're asking me if I would mind bringing in some audience in the meanwhile. One that you would know 'understand'."

"All of my other friends already have tickets to it and now I'm left with these two to give away for free." (Veronica) shakes her head a little, highlighting the last word. What does she mean by understanding?

"So... people who's not homophobic?" (Rose)

Veronica nods at Rose's answer, "Exactly. Since these kinds of events are forbidden after all. It's for those kinds of events but I swear it'll be fun. Thank goodness I found you two little lovebirds. Here have these~" (Veronica) hands us over two rainbow plated cards.

So you just wanted to get rid of the responsibility of finding more audience members by giving it to two kids?

Rose and I both took them looking at Veronica expectantly, "Show these to the cashier and they'll understand. You could also add that I was the one who invited you two over." (Veronica)

I looked over the rainbow card thinking- Am I the only one who's lost here?

I look at Rose who understands everything, nodding her head back and forth. "Got it! What time does it start?" (Rose)

"It should start in about thirty minutes. That should be enough for you two to get in, now run along~" Veronica waves goodbye leaving me with Rose who excitedly raises her rainbow card in the air.

"I can't believe we got an invite there!" (Rose)

"So um care to explain why you’re excited over the rainbow card? I mean other than it's a really cool and awesome rainbow card but- what is that event Veronica keeps talking about-"

She gives me a smile pointing her finger at the plated card, "It's the rainbow dazzle event. Rumors have it they change the venues every time they try to hold any activities in [Puronia]." (Rose) explains leaving me baffled as to how she even knows about this.

"How do you know all of this?" I ask Rose who excitedly takes my hand again walking fast into the direction of the beauty salon shop.

"Don't worry, I'll explain while we walk there the show will start soon!" (Rose)

"As a child of the holy light we were taught these kinds of events are for sinners and to be avoided at all cost because it's encouraging these acts of blasphemy- was the words of the church but I didn't agree with them." she explained with a sad expression. "Truly, the kingdom now is... full of judgements due to the church's influence and rule. It's driving out some people to take residence in [Sprivanto] because there it's peaceful and equality is shown. I envy them."

Rose explained more things on what the church has done in the name of the goddess of light. The sacrifices that they have made.

Demon's bodies and human sinners laid upon the goddess's statue like offerings.

Humans cheering.

It was all recorded in the archives, war sought hundreds of years ago and it's still ongoing.

I'm more worried if this is a church of faith or a cult.

My whole mind and body is telling me in the future to never, ever get involved with the church. Which I will condemn to do.

With that resolve in mind we finally arrived at the beauty shop of Madam Prisha's. "It's been a while since we've been here." I told Rose as she excitedly ran into the cashier ignoring me. "Hey! Hold your horses, the event venue is not going anywhere you know!"

I jogged a little to catch up with her as she gave her rainbow plates card to the woman at the cashier, "Veronica sent us as guests!"

The cashier shrugs looking at us peculiarly letting us in, she takes her hands drawing a magic circle, "[Reveal]."

There was another door that appeared out of thin at the side of the room. I was flabbergasted by the magic because it never gets old, it was differently designed gold intricate while having tons of pastel colors all over it. "Welcome VIP guests. I hope you enjoy your time." (cashier)

Well I guess the card Veronica gave us was for VIPs. "Come on Kein!" (Rose) raises her arms as she opens the door going inside.

Ah there she goes running on her own again. I swear I'm always chasing her. "Wait for me silly." I muttered, sighing, scratching the back of my head. She's too hyper for me, it's adorable.

When we got in, I felt the cold temperature resembling the cold air an air conditioner makes. "This feels like... a movie theater or something." I muttered to myself as I looked around the room.

There were a couple of leather seats and normal wooden ones. They were also other people conversing with each other having make up and tattoos, drinking their alcoholic drink looking comfortable in their seats. There was also a bar and a bartender handing out drinks.

"Kein I think I see the VIP section!" she points over the wide bean couch fit for two in a dimly lit area. This definitely feels like a box for movie theaters- just- this would be a live private event.

There was a clean stage at the front resembling a decent size where a group of dances could fit in. "Alright let's get to our seats then."

We sat there for a few minutes as we saw the colors of the light change colors. "It's starting! Look! Look Kein!" (Rose) shakes my shoulders, her expression thrilled.

Madam Prisha walks up on stage as they introduce themselves to the crowd. They were wearing high heeled pink boots, a pink colored wig, and thick make up that really made them stand out showing their beauty. "Welcome y'all to the razzle dazzle event of [Puronia]! I'm your host for the evening it's Madam Prisha now give me a round of applause!" (Madam Prisha)

Their confidence was brimming as everyone else clapped. "Thank you, thank you. For this event I would like to thank our sponsor Valentina who's visiting as the representative of our queer comrades in [Sprivanto]."

Rose and I eyed each other and realized Valentina was sitting alone not that far away from us- looking dejected with a slap mark on her face- yeah I think light priestess Gisela did that one.

Everyone began clapping again as Madam Prisha raised her hand motioning for silence. "Unfortunately our representative from [Winshern] did not make it due to some magic beast attack and was delayed so they couldn't have made it in time and are recovering so let's hope our bestie will get well soon!"

Everyone in the crowd sent their best wishes to the mysterious representative from [Winshern]"Now without further ado let's make way for our talented people and see them perform!" (Madam Prisha)

I just sat back and relaxed, the workers of the bar gave me and Rose some juice of course non alcoholic.

The people from the razzle dazzle event some of them performed drag shows with magic effects. This one person came in with a dress that was literally on FIRE and I clapped for that one.

There were some people that danced and Rose was cheering for them. She knows dancing so she was probably admiring the routine- "Yeah drop that thing!" yells as the dancers dropped on the magic pole.

Or not.

"Next up, our next performer is Veronica Lumine!" (Madam Prisha)

Finally! It was Veronica's turn!

Rose and I clapped hard for Veronica as she smiled casually walking up to the stage with her guitar. She tapped on the magic stone that was similar to a mic and she started speaking, "This is... a song that I wrote for my um... fiancé. I know that he's in here and I've been wanting to tell you something I can't convey with words..."

Veronica takes a deep breath before continuing with her sweet honey-like voice, "So I wrote my feelings in a song for you instead, Peter."

The lights were turned off, and only stayed in Veronica's position and Peter in the very back. He was so shocked and flushed covering his mouth as Veronica started singing, "You are my whole world~ The day we met at the bar~ I thought you were the one~"

Peter fanned himself, the people around him cheered him on as he started to cry. "You would always tell me how much you hated your long hair, pretty dresses, and silly makeup."

She strums her guitar perfectly blending with the melody and the song. "I love the new change you made, I'll always love you for the way you are. As long as you're still the same person inside I loved before I'll bear these feelings forever~!"

Peter cries in the middle of the song as Veronica ends it off with a high note. "You're beautiful the way you are, darling. You're now my handsome flower blooming this hour. I'll always love you forevermore."

That was the last chord of her drum. Veronica smiles widely as the whole room went into complete silence. "I love you Peter Blackwolf. Always remember that." (Veronica) bows on stage and the crowd goes wild!

Everyone else cheered and tossed their flowers at Veronica. We saw Peter run onto the stage and hugged her really tightly. Everyone goes, "Awww.." including me and Rose, who I didn't notice was now crying- this girl is a real crybaby. 

“There… there…” I reached out and patted her back.

"It was so beautiful! Romance is beautiful! Love is beautiful! The two of them are beautiful!" (Rose) mutters sniffing. Her tears were getting in the way of her beautiful face honestly.

I agreed with Rose as I took out a handkerchief from my [Storage Ring]. "The kind of relationship they have is awesome and wonderful." I dried Rose's tears as she wailed, crying some more.

"I want an encore! Come on! A duet please!" (Rose) takes the flowers over at the nearby vase and throws it at the lovely couple who laughs hearing this.

"Alright since our VIP guests are asking for an encore my lovely peter and I will give you one." (Veronica) winked at her audience who whoops for joy!

We spent the whole hour conversing with the people there but sadly we had to leave.

Veronica and Peter had to escort us outside as we gave her back the rainbow card that we used but she shakes her head, "I want for the both of you to keep it. Memories hold more weight than gold after all."

Veronica holds Peter's hands tightly as the two of them together said their goodbyes.

I think... I get it. To think the hidden message was in the lyrics. How clever.

Those two must've gone through a lot. I smiled, feeling happy that there will be happy couples like them, who deserve the happiness.

Rose offers me her hand as well. "Should we go back to the orphanage and get back to work?"

I take her hand with no hesitation feeling comfortable with just the thought of holding her hand. "Let's go back to work."

Someday I hope to learn how to fall in love again. Maybe I have a choice in this second life of isekai. I promise to make that person happy when the time is right. 

46