Chapter 28: When a lady says no.
1.2k 3 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 28: When a lady says no.

Kein's POV

I was offered a job by the Baron, thankful I accepted.

Honestly, anything that could keep me away from selling my paintings would be great. "This will be the next week's provision for the orphanage home for all ages." (Baron Hills) points at a cart with two horses in tow.

The provisions were in wooden boxes covered in thick clothes. "I would accompany you but I have to go to a meeting in the capital. Alfred will be accompanying you today."

I stare at Alfred who keeps on a serious face replying to the Baron. "As you wish, Master Hills."

Baron Hills looked happy as he gave me a letter with his dove symbol on it, "This is for the head sister that is taking care of the orphanage. May I count on you to bring it to her?" (Baron Hills) offered me the letter as I awkwardly took it from him.

No offense, this letter looks really important. Is it really okay for me to just... have it? I look at Alfred and it seems like he doesn't mind it at all.

"Yes, Baron Hills, I'll get it delivered to her." I answered as I placed the letter into my [Storage Ring].

I came back to my room to change my clothes, I peered through my closet full of second hand clothes from Vincent that were just the right size for me and since we're going to visit the orphanage I'm not going to wear anything fancy.

I decided to wear a black long coat. Now I look like a mini butler, some pants, and gloves.

We we're set to leave in a few minutes as I looked at the lavish horses Baron Hills had.

They were muscular black stallions, tall, and well mannered horses. I kept my distance away from them, being in awe of their admiration. I have never ever ridden a horse- what's it like galloping and just riding one to victory I wonder?

"Miss Kein, are you struck by Lady and diamond's beauty perhaps?"

I look behind me seeing the source of the voice. "They are a tank of stamina. Master Hill's second greatest treasure of all were these horses." He walked up forward casually to the two horses as the both of them snorted.

Alfred pats their mane making me a little envious that he's really being familiar with these horses.

In my old town on earth. I lived in a little province where horses were rare so every time I saw one I would always curiously wonder what petting a horse felt like.

Other than frogs, horses are my second favorite animal. They are on par with frogs, that's for sure. I walked to Alfred's side as I asked, "Can I touch their manes too?"

Alfred nodded indifferently from my request as he raised me up gently, my short childish body could not reach. This will be the only time I will allow anyone to lift me up. I reached out my hands on those soft black manes, they are well taken care of from the looks of it. "Alfred, who takes care of the horses? Do you have a stable boy or something?"

I asked, just in case I would want to keep a horse in the future because I mean- horses are so elegant and cool.

Then again wait- this is a magic world. Wouldn't there be some Pegasus horses breed or like a unicorn? Royals or some high order family would be the only one's who'll have those though from the looks of it.

Hold up, I should ask Vincent if he has some of those rare breeds. You never know what kind of pets or magical beings these rich people keep. I mean Vincent did have a fairy for their garden caretaker.

So imagine what's in their stables.

I already saw the Yulien's mansion stable and they only have regular horses, they were adorable but I wasn't allowed to go in. The stable boy that took care of the horses would always shoo me away. That place also didn't have any frogs, so that was hell.

Alfred answers, "It is me who takes care of the horses. He would trust them to no one else, that is how important they are to Master Hills."

"Oh..." I looked back at the horses and asked, "You said this was only his second most important thing. What's the first one?"

Alfred, for the first time that I've seen him, he smiles sadly as he takes me back down to the ground gently, my feet tapping the stone path, "Miss Kein's curiosity is admirable. If you wish to know, it would be obvious if you paid attention to every artwork in the mansion. Perhaps try looking again when we get back." (Alfred)

He didn't talk more after that as he also acted as our coachman. I sat beside him wondering, those paintings on the walls. I was all in a hectic state and I never got to appraise them properly.

The ride to the orphanage was short from here as it was just thirty minutes by carriage ride, and the horses were going at a pretty fast speed.

We arrived as the carriage stopped momentarily at a metal pointed gate with the words at the top, [Orphanage Home To All]. Alfred jumps down from the driver's seat as he takes me down too.

"Miss Kein, you will only carry what you can. Do not force yourself." (Alfred) said seriously as we walked at the back of the carriage.

He went in first to grab a light box for me to carry which probably was the clothes and blankets. I took it from his hands and carried it like a champ. "Thanks, Alfred."

Alfred nods as he takes another box for himself, "I will lead us to where we need to go, please follow me."

His steps were light as he opened the gate with a magic chant creating a small magic circle right in front of the key lock, "[Unlock]."

The gate opens with the metal gate not even making a sound as my face went like, damn magic be the real shit I ain't getting tired seeing all of this. It's just so different from earth. "Whoah." I couldn't help but let out that sound of amazement as Alfred just moved forward, and me continued to follow him.

"You're doing well, Miss Kein. Keep up the good work." (Alfred) turns his head around to compliment me, taking me in by surprise.

"T-Thanks?" Honestly we're only halfway through inside the orphanage and he's already saying praises but in a serious tone- I can't read him. Alfred nods again as we found the head sister- that seemed all too familiar-

She smiles over us, opening her arms in welcome, "Welcome to the orphanage. As always Alfred, you have my greatest thanks as well to Baron Hills for bringing these provisions to us."

"Sister Porfolia?!" I almost dropped the box that I was carrying. This was the old sister who Rose was with in the jousting festival, I stare at her as she covers her mouth in surprise at seeing me.

"Oh my! You're Rose's friend. Delighted to see you again, It's been a while hasn't it?" (Sister Porfolia) says while bending her knees down a little to meet me.

"You're also helping, little Alfred here?" she asks while giving Alfred a little smile.

I saw Alfred's face redden as he looked away, his posture stiffening as I made a 'Hold up-' expression, "Sister... Please, I am no longer little. I'm an adult now."

I looked at the two of them and felt something.

Alfred was blushing for the first time I met him- my first impression of Alfred was the serious work type. He seemed so committed to Baron Hills, and well- I never guessed that he's well- this um... what would you call his embarrassed state right now?!

Another side for every person. I should always remember that.

"You were just a cute little snobby brat back then you know? You would always cry to me when you were hurt-"

"You two knew each other?" I ask Sister Porfolia who nods explaining Alfred's situation.

"Little Alfred was a former orphan, you see. I was one of his caretakers actually." she says casually and I could hear Alfred groan. "Sister Porfolia please, let us work." (Alfred)

Alfred glares at the sister and she just chuckles teasingly, "Please leave that one over right there near- please play with the other children if you'd like. We rarely get visitors these days, the kids are growing bored and chaotic." (Sister Porfolia)

I nod remembering that Baron Hills also gave me a letter to give, I took it out of my [Storage Ring] and handed it to her, "For you, from the Baron."

The sister takes the letter with the signature dove symbol, gratefully giving me a look. "Thank you for the letter, now you can go right that way while I catch up with little Alfred."

I already found myself walking as I turned back around to see flowers with the two of them. Alfred was trying his best not to further break down while being at the mercy of the nun's presence. Uh-huh, maybe I should just mind my own business and not assume.

Then again if you think about it, Sister Porfolia should be almost twice Alfred's age.

Ah age gap love.

"I should mind my own business now." I muttered to myself, as I continued walking down the corridor of the orphanage. I could hear small laughter from the other rooms, the orphanage had a small open garden in the side.

The cool breeze made me shiver, my feet making it's way into the patch of grass still carrying the box with me.

Gardens always make me curious, they lead me to another place and I find them an enjoyable experience. I stopped at Lily's to remember the first princess, I also saw Lenard's favorite flower in the side.

"Red roses." I stop to see the rose bushes planted on the small corner. "Ah look what we have here." I chuckle, whenever I see this flower Rose always comes to mind. I wonder what she's doing right now.

Then again, I remember mentioning that she volunteers for the church or in the orphanage. Sometimes I can coincidentally meet her again today.

Fate somehow brings us together in random ways so I'll be expecting her encounter soon-

"Hey! Hey you're a shrine maiden right?!"

"Yes but-"

"Can you take off your shawl? I want to see what you look like!"

I stop my thoughts, hearing other voices as I peer closer to the source. Urgh, to think Fate really has it for me. "Oh for the love of- I was expecting Rose soon but not this soon-"

I quickly saw that familiar red shawl of Rose covering her face as a boy the same as her age kept on asking her to take her shawl off, "Come on! I want to see what you look like! Aren't we friends by now?"

Doesn't he know that there are rules that young apprentices can't take off their shawl until they reach their peak of age?

"Yes but please understand- I can't take my shawl off even if I wanted to." (Rose) explains even her voice sounded like she was pleading when the boy kept on asking.

"Don't worry I won't judge you if you're ugly!"

"Um... please stop."

The boy now angry tried to reach for Rose's shawl and pulled it over. "Hey! No! Don't pull it!" (Rose) yelled trying to push the boy away but the little piece of shit just kept pulling it.

"Come on! Just take it off, how do you even breathe in that thing I'm doing you a favor!"

Excuse me- Oh hell no.

I grit my teeth as I ran over there as quickly as I could, dropping the box of provisions into the ground. I can get it later!

Rose is my friend and you're making her uncomfortable as fuck kid and you'll have hell to pay. I hate people who can't respect other people's boundaries. "Hey you- she already said no so BUZZ OFF!"

I bulldozed my way through and pushed the boy into the ground. He groaned in pain as I looked over back at Rose who was trying her best to keep it together. "K-Kein?!"

I looked over to her worriedly seeing her shawl was a little loose, I could see her silver hair coming out. "Rose hold on your shawl-"

I took off my coat swiftly leaving me with my blouse, but I didn't care. I placed it over her head in relief. "Are you okay? Ugh why is it when we coincidentally meet one of us is always in trouble I swear." I scratch my head in frustration but Rose looks out of it. Her face was colored red all over!

I clench my fists as I look over to the boy that pulled Rose's shawl, "Hey it's okay. I'm here. I'll give that little piece of-"

Rose pulls my blouse's sleeve as she stops me, "K-Kein no he’s a friend... please don't hurt him."

A friend? What friend doesn't respect your personal space and doesn't even care about your culture- "But he just assaulted you-" do I have to just take it like that? What he did was shameless and he needs to be taught a lesson!

Rose's pull tightened on my sleeve giving me a sad smile and that immediately made me feel conflicted, "Please... I'm alright now let's not make anymore trouble."

I glared at the boy that was still on the ground and I could feel his resentment on me too. "Hey, you."

"W-Why did you push me man?!" he asked like I was in the wrong.

I groaned. I really wanted to punch him now, "When a lady says no. Then it's a no- it's that easy. Respect her decision you little- ugh you're lucky Rose says I can't punch you."

I clicked my tongue as I grabbed Rose's hand. "Come on, we're getting out of here." I told her, quickly walking along back to where I dropped my box.

Rose still had my black coat over her head and I scratched my back awkwardly, noticing that I held her hand again, "He didn't hurt you anywhere else did he?" I asked Rose as I reached over for the box of provisions carrying it, letting go of her hand.

"N-No but thank you for stepping in. I can't push people off like that." (Rose) fixes her shawl properly, I could still peek through her loosened shawl but I looked away quickly.

I rolled my eyes, "Sounds to me you need some practice on how to properly defend yourself better. I could teach you if you want. I have some experience with martial arts and now that my body is doing a lot better I can push myself to the limit."

Ever since I left Lenard's house, my body is definitely healing. I don't feel tired, I'm not starving, my body feels refreshed now that I don't have to sleep in that tiny ass closet anymore. Things are going pretty well.

Rose smiles at the offer but she shakes her head, "That would be wonderful if only I have the time."

"Are you that busy with volunteering?"

"With the church and the orphanage I try to be here everyday for a decent amount of time before going back home. Erm, my parents are very strict, you see."

I listen to her talk as she gives me back my coat, "Here is your coat and thank you for saving me back there."

I take back my coat and wear it again. "Do you know where I'll drop these off? After the whole garden issue I forgot where I was supposed to go."

I swear it was always a garden with all these weird events. It's getting pretty cliché now or this place has too many garden lovers.

Ignoring what happened from before, "Of course, follow me!" (Rose) was back to her pretty cheery self.

I sighed in relief but still.

"Wait stop, did you hear something?"

She lifts her hand to stop me as I don't hear anything wrong. "No...?"

Rose completely goes astray as she walks away in a different direction to where she was leading before. "Oh no, not again." I muttered to myself as I tried catching up with her.

Finally with all this walking I finally saw her peeking through something, trying to keep herself hidden on the wall. "Rose what are you-"

"Shhhh look-" she whispers pointing at the two figures in the wall.

I looked to where she was pointing and saw one girl doing a kabedon- on a nun on the wall- and that girl was taking the lead it was the one who gave me turron when I saved her in the church- "No way, it's Valentina and- who's that with her-"

Rose covered her mouth, I could hear her trying not to squeal. "Are they going to kiss?"

I chuckle quietly. Surely not- I was wrong.

Oh no. Valentina was leaning in for the nun's lips but not until she caught us staring at them- oh boy we got caught and I'm so not ready for a scolding lesson on why sneaking around is bad.

55