Chapter 032: Misunderstanding [Part 1]
41 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This Is How It Should Be


I'm pretty sure I will get into trouble if I go to my class this late. That's why I decided to just spend the remainder of the first period in the afternoon walking around the campus.

『Riiiiiiiiiiiiiing!』

When the bell rings, the whole school will take a break for 20 minutes.

My classmates must be returning to our classroom by now. I'll take this chance to go back.

“!”

But as I approach the room, Mae beckons me, an invitation to follow her.

“.............” For a second, I contemplate whether i should go or not.

I know I should limit my interactions with Mae, but I find it hard to distance myself. We're friends, after all.

Plus, there's probably something important she needs to discuss. I am not certain but I have a hunch about it.

Whatever. Thinking about it is pointless. I will see where this goes.

Thus, silently, I follow her from afar. When I look at her, I notice an air of disturbance surrounding her. Maybe it's not that obvious but the little changes in her demeanor says a lot.

Mae and I walk along the dimly lit corridors of a rarely used building, our footsteps against the worn out concrete intensifies as we ascend to the increasingly desolate floor of the building.

This particular building, weathered and poorly maintained, stands as one of the least frequented structures on campus. Despite its dilapidated state, the lower floors still accommodate junior highschool students, adding a faint semblance of activity to an otherwise neglected environment.

Mae stops in the corner of the third floor, waiting patiently for me. I gaze upon her for a while, and when she has given her permission, I quietly climb upstairs.

When I get there, she smiles wryly at me, “Hi, Mark— Mark-kun...”

“You don't have to call me that anymore,” I giggle.

“Eh? I don't mind if this is how you wanted to be called though.”

“Err.. I realized it sucks. But just call me however you want.”

In all honesty, it's because Elizabeth might take it wrongly if I begin calling her Elizabeth but Mae as ‘Mae-chan’. She might perceive it as favoritism or exclusion, potentially causing further discomfort or misunderstanding between us.

Hehehe,” her giggles echoes softly, filling the desolate space with warmth. The way her eyes narrow and her shoulders shake with each chuckle is strangely alluring...  tinged with nostalgia.

She says with a soft smile, “Then I'll just call you.... ‘Mark’. Is that fine with you, Mark? Hehe..”

*Swoooosh ~*

“!”

Maybe it's the gust of wind, but I feel like my skin is crawling. Hearing her voice call my name reignites memories I thought were lost to time. The goosebumps prickling my skin are a testament to the unexpected flood of nostalgia and emotion she is evoking within me.

Although I feel mildly disturbed, my expression can't change. I say, trying to divert my attention, “Is Al being a jerk to you again?”

“Eh?” Mae seems surprised I mentioned him. Her eyes are darting away shyly as a hint of awkwardness colors her expression. She fidgets, unable to meet my gaze directly, adding a touch of endearing charm to her demeanor.

Oh hell no... She's just so cut... I swallow unconsciously, “Am I mistaken?”

“Well, kinda...?” She keep darting her eyes away. “I am already thankful with what you did for me, Mark.. I can't be so shameless. I can probably fix our relationship by myself now. I am grateful. And... also... I'm so sorry...”

Mae's apology feels sincere unlike Al's.

This isn't good... The feelings she's evoking aren't good. I need to get away from her fast. 

“So? Why did you call me here?” I ask. Wanting to tease her, I say mischievously, “It's like we're gonna do something that must be kept in secret. Wanna burn this school down?”

“Geez Mark. Your sense of humor hasn't changed,” she says while having a wry smile. She asks, “You cooked earlier for Ms. Hecate, right?”

I nod, “Yes. Unfortunately, she threw it in the trash can.”

“?!” Mae looks shock. “How can she...? She didn't appreciate you at all?”

“Elizabeth and I are having some issues right now. Her reaction was within my expectations.” I continue, “Anyway, why did you call me out all the way here?”

“.............” Mae is speechless for a while, probably contemplating something. When I wave my hand in front of her face, she comes back to her senses. Awkwardly, she clears her throat before saying, “Um...  Mark, what do you think I should do?”

“?” I tilt my head in confusion.

“I mean, there's this girl who wants me to stay away from my friend. She's insecure and jealous and doesn't want me near him.”

“.............” I say nothing. I let her continue.

“But... I...” she seems hesitant. “I want to respect her... But I don't want to.”

With the way she's looking at me when she said the latter part, it's making my mind race to a direction I shouldn't.

Bloody hell.. She's making me act like how I used to be back in grade 7.

For a moment, I hold my tongue, embracing the frigid air with each inhale. Then, breaking the silence, I ask, “Why?”

“I don't want to betray him again,” she says as she lowers her head. After a moment of deafening silence, Mae looks up, and with guilt in her eyes, she continues, “I feel so sorry. I don't know how I can pay him back.”

““.............””

“You don't need to burden yourself with that,” I reassure her, and then I fall silent. After a pause, I break the silence with a soft gaze into her eyes, “Mae... He was a coward. None of it falls on you. No need to carry that weight. It's all in the past now anyway.”

“.............”

“.............”

Mae and I share a moment of silence, listening to the whisper of the wind and the distant murmur of the crowd below.

“Thank you.....” she smiles. “But Mark...”

“Yes Mae?” I feel my breath getting warmer. Bloody hell, why is my heart starting to beat faster?

This is bad...

Mae continues, “Do you... Do you really love M—?!”

Unbeknownst to me, an unexpected presence lingers nearby— a figure who shouldn't be here. How long has she been eavesdropping? Her sudden appearance catches me off guard. My senses surely have gone dull.

I've dropped my guard.

In an instant, she seizes the opportunity, closing in swiftly to deliver a powerful kick aimed at my temple.

*SMACK!*

Even though I have my back towards the attacker, even though I'm caught surprised, I instinctively block the kick that's meant to knock me down.

Unfazed by my attempt to intercept her, she disregards my presence, indicating I'm not her primary focus. Suddenly, a powerful fist looms, threatening to strike Mae's chest with force.

I react quickly. I exercise my fastest footwork technique.

*Pa!*

Reacting instinctively, I place myself between Mae and the attack, using my body as a shield. While successful in deflecting the blow, the sheer force behind the punch sends Mae and me reeling backward, disrupting our balance and stability. And thus we fall down.

*Thud!*

Without wasting time, ignoring the pain, I crouch immediately to get back on my feet.

Then from below, I see Elizabeth fiercely glaring down at the both of us. Her body shivering from all the extreme emotions she's currently feeling.

She bites her lip till it bleeds. With a cracking voice, she speaks, “...w-why...?”

Oh fucking hell... Come on...

“Elizabeth! Don't misunderstand.. Allow me to explain—”

I can't finish my words. Elizabeth sprints away as quickly as she can. She runs upstairs and her footsteps rapidly disappears.

I want to follow her but...

“Mae, are you alright?” I ask as I help her stand up.

“Geez... Mark. Your girlfriend is really something,” she pats the dust off her uniform. I can't sense anger in her tone. She smiles and softly says, “Go. I am no longer someone you should prioritize.”

I don't know why... But those words are making my chest tighten.

But I guess this is how it should be.

I nod at her.

And with haste, I rush upstairs following the disappearing presence of my girlfriend.

5