Ch. 10 – New Neighbor
171 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'That really is convenient.' Brian cannot help but think to himself how the Useless system is slowly becoming a not very useful System.

"Since we're already neighbors, you can call me Raju." Raju introduced himself while scratching the back of his ears.

"I'm not really sure about the situation, but I'm Brian."

"What situation?"

Brian made sure he thinks what he is going to say first because it would be a problem if his identity has reached Mirage City. However, he himself does not expect his name to be known in the land where different beasts and monsters walked hand in hand peacefully.

Nevertheless, he still needs to hide some stuff and said, "Whether I will live here or not is still a question."

"I agree with you. It's nice to have a new neighbor but unless you renovate that place, it's dangerous to live in. I can help you look for some affordable places."

'This Dire Wolf is really friendly'. Brian judged the character in front. It was a weird experience for him to communicate with a beast in a friendly manner. However living two separate lives, he was able to easily adapt to the strange situation.

Back to the current conversation. The one who spoke first was the masked man. Brian is not sure if this masked man understands Raju, but it was beside the point. His words were directed to him.

"The old man actually wants you to live here." He spoke differently compared to how Raju sounded. He was using human language this time which can only be understood by him and Brian at the moment.

Now Brian knows their benefactor can somewhat decipher Raju's message. This fact added more mystery to the masked man's identity but that is a worry for another time. For now, Brian replied, "Asti did?"

"He owns it in the first place. That old man said that this is the best he can offer you so he asked me to give this to you to help your life here easier." He handed Brian a small pouch of gold coins. It was gold, but it was different from the coins back in the empire. Instead of a famous hero of the past engraved in it, a dragon's profile was on the coin's head.

"If not for the fact that it is almost impossible to visit this place, this house will not be in this sorry state."

"How did we come here to be in the first place?" Brian was really bothered by it and cannot help but ask.

"It's a long story and I won't have enough time before I need to go back. But to put it in short terms, this is the artifact that transferred us here."

The masked man showed a piece of paper or to be exact, a talisman that barely has anything written on it except a single black symbol. He did not really care if Brian knows what he was holding and just did it to end his curiosity.

<Transfer Talisman>

<Description: Used to transfer from one place to another. One must set the point of transferring. Uses left: 1… (User lacks the knowledge to know more details)>

<Potential: D>

"System, why is the potential so low? The talisman seems to be an amazing item." Brian asked silently in his head.

<System: If you don't consider how difficult it is to create one, then yes, it is an amazing item. But I hope the User remembers that the goal of this Amazing Merchant System is to earn money>

That explains why many items back when he was experimenting have different potential despite everything looking quite cheap. The highest potential grade he saw beside the ring is B+, which was a single bottle of medicine.

Taking a note for himself, another thing caught his eye when reading the details regarding the talisman. The last symbol written on the paper should mean it will cease its function when used one more time. Then he realized why it would be impossible for Asti to visit him anytime soon.

The masked man then put the talisman back to where he was hiding it then prepared to leave.

"I still have some urgent business to do back outside. Since it looks like you can handle yourself here, I won't trouble myself here staying any longer."

Without looking back, he joined the crowd of monsters in the road pointing at Brian's east. He seemed really hurry because he was using spatial magic to move until Brian could not see him anymore.

If it was not for Brian's eyes, the masked man's back can still be spotted among the group. But that was just an illusion. The presence of their benefactor is already long gone.

Raju who also saw him leave seems to have not noticed the high-level spatial magic he used that is why he did not find anything strange at all. He was more interested in the living space of Brian.

Recognizing the humans are done talking within themselves and the other one left, he asked the blonde human one more time, "You need help looking for a new place?"

"Thanks for offering, but I am satisfied living here. I'll find a way to have a comfortable time with my daughter."

"You have a daughter!? How old is she? Maybe she can play with my children?" Raju was excited when he heard Brian had a daughter. The tail behind him lively wagged.

'I guess he is also a father. I never saw baby Dire Wolves before. It would be nice for Paia to play with friends when she is growing up.' Brian is still a bit wary of having a beast as his neighbor. But the fact that it is for the benefit of his daughter, he removed some prejudice he has for monsters.

"That would be nice. But I have a question Sir Raju if it's not rude."

"Raju is fine." He already treated Brian like a long-lost friend of his.

"I don't see any humans, but you don't seem to be surprised of having me here."

"Ah, so you did not come from Vira City… Vira City has a population dominated by humans and seldomly come here for a leisure visit."

'There are humans here?! No one in the empire or any country that I know has knowledge about this place. Vira City is also a city unrecorded in the empire. It should be a different lineage of ancestors.'

Raju crossed his arms and went into deep thought recalling his experience with humans before speaking, "Almost every human from Vira City I met before have a haughty attitude, so I don't like them. I also don't recommend meeting them even if you are a human."

"I didn't expect you to have an awful experience with humans." Brian moved a step back.

His words contradicted his attitude towards the human he was talking to. Brian cannot help but feel suspicious of his act.

"Don't worry about that. I can distinguish people with bad intentions from the smell. I'm not bragging but I have a good nose."

Raju pointed his long snout while sniffing loudly with it. He was really proud when showing off that Brian could not help but show interest in it. Brian was not really sure how it works so he assumed it was one of the perks a different variation of Dire Wolf had when it evolved.

When Brian showed interest, it has broken a dam within Raju. Sensing that the human in front of him has a genuine fascination with his ability, he went on and brag about his other strengths like how he can run faster than his kins could or how his eldest son will become stronger than him in the future.

Hearing Raju mentions his children, Brian felt like he should not lose. So he told him how his daughter despite being two years old was already a genius.

The scene looks like two dads who came to meet to brag about their children's achievements. Actually, it was that very scene that was happening right now.

Their friendly debate only ended when someone who looks exactly Raju but exudes feminine charm began pulling a large chunk of dark grey fur on Raju's head. This female Dire Wolf just came back from her shopping because of the basket filled with goods she was carrying.

"You're being noisy again! Ara~ We have a new neighbor?"

"That hurts, Hon… Yes, let me introduce Brian. He is a human unlike those from Vira City so he is a good guy… Brian, this is Raina, my wife."

He politely introduced his wife. The wife then bowed gracefully like a noblewoman before she went and pinched Raju again. Their interaction told Brian who has the most power in their household.

10