Ch. 13 – Next Step
130 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of meat being chewed replaced the serene atmosphere they had earlier. Raju and his family were human-like for the whole day, but when it comes to food, little manners are observed.

Except for Raine and one of her older daughters, every Dire Wolf present was taking a big bite of the meat served in front of them.

'Raine introduced that this should be a goat dish. I don't remember any goats back in Auzeweth this big, so it must be unique in Soliel City.'

Brian finally knew the official name of the place he is currently residing in. Soliel, from what Raju and Raine shared, was the second-largest city on this continent, but the most open when accepting people of different races. They made sure that Brian would be treated fairly as possible when he decided to live here.

This characteristic of Soliel City was because of their current King's belief. This means the security is tight and comparable to the largest city. But also because of it, this might be the best city to start a business because it was created quite recently.

When their topic was about businesses, Brian also asked them about the concept of money which they did not hesitate in answering or asked about his background.

Their currency along with the other cities goes like this; There are three different coins that are being used. Namely Copper, Gold, and Royal Coins. Gold Coins are worth 100 coins and Royal coins are worth 1000 Gold coins. Having three coins was also the same back in Auzeweth although rather than Royal coins, it was named White Gold.

For the value on the other hand, it differs completely. The money back in Auzeweth is drastically more inflated compared here in Soliel. If you want to stay in a good inn served with good food here in Soliel, you will only need a gold coin to stay there for seven days. While on Auzeweth, you need at least 10 gold coins to have a room for seven days excluding the free meals.

Another example of how low the inflation rate here is through Raju. Raju works at a hunting firm where he earns only 15 gold a month, and yet they were able to live comfortably with 12 children.

This is also where Brian learned the difference between the likes of Raju and Reine compared to the beast and monsters he has killed before. In the hunting firm Raju is working at, they are task to kill a certain amount of Pests per week to meet their quota.

Pests are what they call monsters with no intelligence living in their continent. Even if they look the same, there are very different compared to those living in the city. That is why it will not be weird for them to eat a Dire Wolf because they were not Dire Wolves, instead they are a part of the tribe called Triphon Tribe.

"Father, I'll go ahead first…" While the adults were busy discussing among themselves, the eldest son of Raju excuse himself.

"Ok. But be careful with your works this time. I don't want another fire when we have guests in the house."

"Fire? Is your son a mage?" That out-of-the-blue information piqued Brian's interest.

"The fire he is talking about comes from the mini furnace we own. Richi wants to be a blacksmith, so we gifted him that for practice." Raine answered Brian's curiosity.

'A blacksmith wolf, I can never remember seeing that in any of my lives.'

This fact cemented the perception of Brian concerning the people living here. He never imagined monsters and beasts that can co-exist within one another and build a society that is the same as their own.

It may be the wolf in front of him or the birdman that he saw a while ago when walking, everyone acts and thinks just like humans would.

When he first saw the different races the first time, it would be a lie if he said that he was not fearful. However, as the one who initiated meeting up with him, he does not see them as monsters or beasts anymore. At least they were better compared to the humans who were his family.

Even now, Raju was offering help.

"Since it's my day off tomorrow, I can help you familiarize yourself with the city."

"That would be nice… If I might also add, are there any places where I can barter for things?" He asked while feeding a piece of meat to Paia who was still on his lap.

Brian has not forgotten about his quest. He was not really sure about the reward 'Wheel of Establishments', but it should help him solidify his life as a merchant like how Appraisal would.

"Barter? If you lack money in the meantime, I can let you borrow some and you can pay it later."

Brian was touched on how he could offer to let him borrow some money when they just met. But he still said, "Thanks for the offer, but there is something with some value I just wanted to get rid of."

"Hmm… You can hardly see people bartering at this age anymore." Looks like Raju does not have an answer.

"How about the auction house, Hon? If I remember, there should be a small part in that place where they offer their service strictly for trading an item for another."

"There is such a place?!"

It was good news for Brian if he does not want to look around the city forever for people willing to barter.

"But I'm not sure if a lot of people use that service." Raine has had her ears drooped down when she thought about it.

"The fact that you told me of its existence is already a great help for me."

"Auction House it is! For now, we need to cheers in celebration for our new neighbor." Raju exclaimed standing up to bring the alcohol again.

Three of their children could already drink, but they decided not to join because it is still awkward for them having a human as their drinking partner. Meanwhile, the younger kids have already left the table and went to continue what they were doing before.

Since Paia woke up a bit late, she was still full of energy although she was already satisfied with the meal. Brian then permitted her to play with her newly made friends again.

"Such a lovely child, your daughter." The mother of all the wolf children looked at the fleeing figure with a gaze.

"It is a shame that her mother is not here at the moment, but I know she will love her the same even if she is working far away."

Brian told the wolf parents the same excuse when it comes to his wife. The excuse might sound weird because the husband does not really have money in hand, but they understood not to pry private matters any further.

"Even if my wife does not come anytime soon, I would still be happy if I see my daughter smile every day."

"Hu~ Hu~ You're just like my husband. He is feared by many of his peers, but when it comes to his children, you won't associate him being like that."

"Hon, you're embarrassing me in front of our guest… Don't worry Bryan, as both fathers, I understand how you want the best life for your daughter. So tomorrow, we'll do our best to find that damn barterer!

"Watch your mouth in front of the kids, Hon. You are already becoming drunk. That's the last mug you will be drinking tonight."

"Cheers!" Raju ignored his wife's warning. This in turn to someone pulling his ear until he becomes somewhat sober.

Brian gladly accompanied the family until he and Paia bid their farewells. He was very happy that a man in the form of a wolf has become his friend in their new community. They were also very helpful in terms of making him familiarize with the city he and his daughter would be living in.

Paia also seems to be satisfied since she was skipping around until they reach their own door.

"Did you make a lot of friends?" Brian asked her daughter.

"Yes! And Rina was my best friend."

'Rina. That should be their youngest daughter.'

"I'm glad Paia made a lot of friends. Father also made some… You will have more friends in the future but tomorrow, we will go shopping for clothes."

"Shopping?!"

"Yes, so let's sleep early. Your uncle Raju will help us look for a good shop tomorrow."

10