Ch. 15 – Gift For His Girlfriend
126 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Where do you want to go to next?"

"I heard there a new shop that sells magic items."

"I'll treat you on the massage parlor I always visit."

When the father and daughter combo move closer and closer to the center of Soliel City, these types of conversations can be heard. If it was not for the wide roads, it would be difficult to move from one place to another.

Paia was excited when she saw the varying citizens that were heading the same way as them. From giants who carefully move their way among the crowd to slippery unknown creatures, Brian can really tell that this place is a city for monsters.

Even when it was not a busy hour, the amount of people outside is ten times compared to the roads outside near his house.

'This is really the commercial center in Soliel City. The atmosphere is just like in Times Square back in New York.' Brian was amazed how buzzing people come and go from all the doors he can see.

Brian took Paia and place her on his shoulder to not lose her because the place they are going to is one of the busiest establishments.

"Woah! So big! Much bigger than our house back home." Paia almost fell when she looked up until the clouds.

The Auction House was one of the largest buildings they could see. Bigger than what he has back on his Manor. It resembles grand museums back on earth, but on steroids. You can easily identify people of different status going in and out of the majestic architecture in front of them.

"We're going inside the big house, so don't make your voice very loud," Brian told her daughter who was swaying on his shoulders.

There was a reason why he wants their presence to be as little as possible. It might not be obvious when there were only a few people, but the stares they have been receiving were not friendly.

'It must be because of the attitude humans who visited before. We are getting disdain all over the place.'

After observing a little while, Brian concluded that other people are not as welcoming as Raju. Brian can accept this since they are outsiders, but he hopes no trouble would come in their way.

He can only do this much so with no other choice, he entered the gigantic entrance of the Auction House.

"Wow…!" Both the father and daughter exclaimed silently.

What made them gasp in breath was the sheer size and beauty of the place they got into. It was like a reception area for the hotels in heaven. It was divided into three parts, two of them are quite busy while the other has barely any people entering it.

Having the ability to read the monster language, Brian saw the busiest part as the 'Auction Hall'. Behind the purple door is where all auctions take place on any level. The second busiest, and separated by a golden door with an intricate design should be where the clients who sell their items and people receiving what they have won in the auction.

Luckily, it seems that there is a scheduled auction that will be held soon because almost all guests are heading towards the Auction Hall. That entails the last part of the Auction House to be almost deserted with people.

Separated with a simple white door, Brian and Paia entered. Even if he doesn't visit the Auction Hall and the other room, he already knows this place is the smallest.

"A human? That's an unusual guest." A birdwoman who does not look like a part of the staff accidentally bumps them.

She was wearing a red sheath dress that accompanied her red hair and wings at her back. It was clear that her theme was red. She also brings an aura of someone who belongs to a higher society.

If Paia was still on his shoulders, he would surely have dropped her. Thankfully before they entered, Paia was walking beside her father.

This might offend someone, but Brian knows the other party does not have any ill intentions. However, his daughter did not find it the same.

"Hey Bird Person! You hurt my father." She made an angry face although it only made her look more adorable.

"Hm? What's wrong little one?" Noticing someone was pointing her out with words she can't understand, she stopped in her tracks.

When he thought they were no troubles at all, it suddenly came. Nevertheless, Brian cannot be angry at her daughter especially if she did it because of him. He was even a bit proud of her. But it has turned to worse. So Brian can only defuse the situation on behalf of her daughter.

"Sorry about that, my daughter is very protective of me."

The birdwoman observed the father and his daughter before saying, "Just be careful next time."

And their brief encounter ended. Brian sighed in relief that it did not escalate any further.

"Father, that woman ran away without apologizing."

"She doesn't need to apologize. We just accidentally hit our shoulders because father has not been looking properly."

"But…" Paia still will not let go of the matter. So, Brian took her into his arms and showed her that he was fine. Only when he saw his father smiling did she stop pointing it out.

"Sit here for a while, Paia. Father needs to talk with that person right there."

Paia nodded and sat meekly. He does not worry about anything going wrong because there were only two people besides them and that already includes the person he pointed at.

As Raju told him, the person behind an opaque glass made of magic should be the one who handles all business conducted here. He can only see his or her silhouette so he can only guess what kind of person he or she is.

"Since it's your first time here dear human, do you want to know the rules first?" A distorted voice asked Brian when he stopped on the opposite side of the glass.

"Please."

"First. Money cannot be used here… Second. If dear human wishes to put his item on the list because his desired item is not on the current catalog, then a 50 copper coins fee is needed. This only lasts for seven days. But if dear human wishes to extend it, 10 coppers is needed per day. Remember that the same item will accumulate days so don't try and take it back then return it the next day… Lastly, the item that dear human wished to be traded will be taken from him. Dear human does not need to worry about his item from losing…"

It was easy to understand because there were only three rules. To put it into simple terms, it was just bartering with a middle person for more security and more convenience.

"What does dear human request?"

"Can I look at the catalog?" This is Brian's main purpose. He does not have the money and time to add his ring to the list.

The silhouette said no more. Instead, the glass that separates them started to change. It was now filled with papers with written descriptions of items from their owners and what they want for it. There were a lot of them, but the total will not reach a hundred.

"System, can I appraise these items?"

<System: Ok, wait a minute…>

<Parchment Paper>

<It is filled with words made of ink>

<Potential: B->

"Haha, funny..." Brian said with a sarcastic tone. He was excited for nothing when it worked, but he already expected that he needed the actual physical item before Appraisal skill would work. Those items are actually in their possession although he doubts the person behind will let show him.

'There are many names I don't recognize but thankfully some of them do not ask for specific items.'

With that criterion, the list was cut in half. Fortunately for Brian, there was something that could fit the descriptions of his ring.

[Have: Spirit-Repellant Lantern]

[Want: Jewelry for my girlfriend. Not the cheap-looking kind, but something she can be proud wearing all the time]

'This person behind the request should be someone with no money in hand and can only resort to trading. I don't know what a Soul-Calming Lantern is although I assumed its worth should not be on par compared to a piece of expensive-looking jewelry. Hopefully that guy's girlfriend can somehow wear the ring, or my trip here would be useless.'

Having decided what request he can maybe fulfill, he placed the Ring of Vows on the balance weighing scale that showed up along with the lists. That was the artifact they use to determine whether his item meets the condition for the requested item.

'Please let be your girlfriend have human fingers…'

5