Ch. 26 – Girl Who Sells Flowers
99 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In any society, either a fantasy world or a world of technology, there is something that will always be present. As long as individuals exist to survive, there would always be a top and bottom, the fortunate ones and the less fortunate ones.

Soliel City might be a safe haven for many races of monsters willing to co-exist peacefully with one another, but not everyone ends up having a comfortable life. It might be because of those at the top taking advantage of those at the bottom, or simply because they are unfit to adapt in their situation,

The injustice present may occur on a large scale but there is always cruelty even from the lowest part of the group. It only depends on whether you can see it or not.

Taking a small detour, Brian along with Paia were just about to head home when suddenly something caught his eyes. In a road where the little people pass by, the cruelty of the weak being abused by the strong is being displayed.

"You sold nothing again for the whole day!"

"I'm sorry… It won't happen next time." A hooded girl was being reprimanded by a big-bellied man with a pigman's face, literally.

"I guess I have no choice to suggest your sister to the slave traders."

"No! You can't do that!"

"It's actually pretty simple. If you think the King will care about you people and help, that's where you are wrong, kiddo."

No matter what view you were looking at the scene, it was obvious the girl was under oppression. Few people are observing the situation but no one dared to do anything.

Brian wished he never saw this scene especially with her daughter on his side. Sometimes it was best to be ignorant rather than knowing everything. Now his conscience of an honorable knight and Paia's kind heart will not let the situation in front of them continue.

Making sure Paia was safe behind him, he walked towards the scene slowly. As much as possible, he wants to resolve without the use of force. Brian's body was not in the condition like before where his presence alone can make the legs of his enemies weak.

"Excuse me… How much are those flowers?" Brian did not care about the hateful gaze the pigman was giving when he asked the girl.

Taking a closer look, Brian was surprised that a human face and human complexion were under the hood. She may look weak and pale but Brian was sure that she does not have any characteristic any race of monsters should have.

Humans were really rare in Soliel City. He was able to see some humans here and there but this would be the first time he will be talking to one.

"Ah! One flower is a 2 copper coins." It was a pleasant surprise for her to have an unexpected customer while her superior was reprimanding her in the middle of the street.

"I'll take everything."

"Are you sure, Sir!? I have 37 flowers here. That would be-"

"5 gold coins." The pig head interrupted.

The pig head is taking advantage of the human who was trying to be the white in shining armor. Brian clearly heard the cost of the flowers in the basket of the human girl's hands. It also did not help that the basket was obviously not filled with more than a hundred flowers.

Paia on the side raised her eyebrows trying to count with her fingers how 37 flowers worth two a piece can cost 500 copper coins. She was not taught properly yet how to solve simple arithmetic problems. This gave time for Brian to decide before his daughter make trouble again.

5 gold is not an amount Brian can scoff at at the moment. With no certain way to earn money yet, he was hesitating whether a mere flower basket would be worth it. Some of the flowers were even close to wilting.

'No, it's not the flowers I'll be using the money for.' Brian was looking at the flustered girl that wanted to say something but was stop because of the fearful stares her superior is giving.

In the mind of the pig head, if Brian retreats after trying to offer his help, the human male would only be slapping his own face. His pig brain might not be the smartest but he knows humans care most about their face… And true to his theory, the human really gave the girl 5 gold coins. He immediately took it from the girl's hands then put it on his own pocket.

He was on cloud nine because of the sudden profit. His threats were actually empty. He might know few slave traders but he does not have the ability to just sell a random girl to them. Because of the strict policies, there should be certain reasons why an individual can be sold to the slave market.

However, now that he got more than what he bargained for, he can continue forcing the human girl to sell more flowers using his empty threats. But before he was able to walk away and enjoy his gold, the foolish human who gave him coins to spend grabbed his shoulders.

"I hope I'll never see this again." The human quietly whispered for only the two of them to hear.

The strength of the hand grabbing his shoulders is nothing. His heavyweight body can easily brush it away. But when he looked at the eyes of the person telling him so, he felt intimidated. Those were the eyes of someone who killed hundreds or even thousands while witnessing many more deaths. His beastly instincts tell him that his life was at the mercy of the human.

Brian gave him a little warning knowing that he it would be impossible to know what will happen to his fellow human comrade. At most, he was able to give temporary relief for the flower girl and her sister. Without power and authority, the best thing he can do was talk through the problems.

It seems to be effective as the pig head walked away with his legs shaking a bit. He does not know the reason why he was walking with difficulty but Brian could not care less. As long as he left them alone, then it can be considered a good thing.

"It might be rude to ask, but why are you with him?"

The hooded girl was startled by the sudden question of Brian. However she still answered, "… We're in debt. That guy was the person we borrowed the most money so…"

"Ok, no need to continue. But are you able to pay them by selling these." Brian raised the basket that was already in his hands.

"…I'll just find more ways to earn money."

It was obvious she was out of options. Brian wanted to ask more especially concerning her sister but it would be sticking his nose somewhere it does not need to be. Nonetheless, there is something he can do.

"How about working in my shop. I'm lacking a clerk you see."

"! But I'm not really good with counting…"

"You can always learn. My shop is also just about to open."

"…But you're already helping too much."

"No more buts. I'll give you the direction then you can always come anytime if you decide to work for me. I promise that you would be able to pay all debts later on."

Brian was a bit annoyed by her low self-esteem. He recognized that she was a humble girl but too much of it can create consequences. In this case, the opportunity of a job will disappear if it was not for Brian's push.

"…Thank you" The hooded girl lowered her head.

"I would be opening in three days so it would be better if you go earlier to let you familiarize with the workplace."

Brian was sure she would be visiting their blacksmith soon. Seeing her hurrying back to her home, Brian can only imagine she would be bringing good news to her sister.

"It's 74 copper coins. Father! That guy was lying!" Paia who was focused on counting with her fingers since a while ago finally gave her answer.

"Oh. You're very smart, Paia. Don't worry, liars only go to hell... Let's go home, brother Richi is still waiting for us."

6