Chapter – 19 Goodbyes Can Get Annoying
271 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Several days have passed since the conversation with Trijen, and it's been a month now since the merchant caravan last came through. I've spent these few days collecting supplies for the trip. Though most of it has been obtained through bartering. I've also experienced the exchange of some of this place's common currency, which are gold coins. For such an impoverished place to only have access to gold coins for trading, implies that gold in this world isn't as rare of a resource as my previous one. Despite this abundance only a measly two have found their way into my possession.

   Taking stock of whats been acquired is the two coins, quarter of a kilogram of jerky, and a few hundred grams of corn flour. Spending my time reviewing my supplies and gazing at the village entrance, a pair of the strange oxen come into view. The merchants have arrived. This means It's finally time to say my goodbyes, and take care of a final few matters.

   With a knock to his door Hane calls out, "A moment please!" Sounds of papers being shuffled about come through the door, before it swings open. Upon seeing me Hane asks, "So, have you considered it?"

   While the rewards aren't assured and their value unclear. The task doesn't seem to be high-risk or difficult, "I have, and it doesn't sound like it would be to much trouble for me to do."

   His posture straightens, "Then you'll do it?"

   I was more calculative about this during our last meeting, but now that I'm already saddled with one responsibility. It doesn't matter as much if I add another? "Sure, but I still need to know where the letter is going and to who."

   Hane fidgets moving in place and talks with a degree of discomfort, "Yes, I suppose you can't deliver it without knowing that..."

   I stare waiting for him to continue, "So are you going to tell me?"

   He takes a deep breath, "Well, the person is a lady by the name of Meranthy Tonar or maybe now its Russellino, She lives in the city of Ranthor, and you should be able to find her by asking around at the Papermills there."

   One of two different last names, that's peculiar. This is starting to sound more troublesome, "And the reward?"

   The ordeal of payment appears less troubling for him as he loosens up, "Yes, the reward. Its buried at the base of a tree that has braided branches. Meranthy will know where it is. Also give me a moment and I'll be back with the letter." He steps back inside and the noise of more papers moving about is made. Stepping back out he extends his arm holding a wax sealed letter, "Here."

   Grabbing the letter I say, "I'll make sure she receives it."

   Hane nods his head and closes the door.

   I head to dalp's to at least say a courteous goodbye before leaving. his abode is a short stroll away from Hane's. As I walk the sounds of people gathering is made. They gather around preparing to trade with the merchants. One of the important businesses they carry out with the merchants is the payment to have take tools and the like taken to a blacksmith in the next town over. For maintenance and repair, this of course means they have to wait a month to retrieve them. However the villagers are prepared for such keep spares.

   Having reached Dalp's, I knock.

   The door opens and Lara peers through, "Here to get my Hubby hurt again?"

   I had assumed she wouldn't be holding that against that me, "No, I'm just here to say goodbye before I leave."

   She takes a snappy tone, "Fine, make it quick." She opens the door more allowing me to walk in.

   Dalp is sitting down working with some straw and hatching it together.  "You're here to say goodbye?"

   That is the level of perception I'd expect from a trained hunter, "Yes, what are you working on there?"

   He holds out the flat piece of thatch, "I'm working on the cover for a pitfall trap."

   Didn't see many traps when I was out hunting, "How often do you go trapping?"

   Sitting the thatch down he readjusts in his seat, "When I need to, but I prefer bow hunting. There's not much glory in killing a caged animal."

   Glory, honor, respect they're often held high. However, they exert more good to the world when they are brought amongst the more humble of actions, "Yes, its is good to have principles. Although I once met a man, who refused to eat meat. During the time I knew him, that was the only type of food available. He ended up dying from holding such a value. The weakness from malnourishment caught up with him. He held the lives of animals in such high regard. He held up his glory only for it to crush him. "

   Dalp chuckles, "I don't think you need to worry over me refusing to eat something unless it was killed with my bow."

   I probably overshared, "Apologies, for telling you that."

   He grins, "I'm sure you only said it because you care."

   Best to depart now, "We've been talking for a bit now and I need to finish my preparations to leave. I hope you will be in you're best shape next we meet."

   He stretches his hand out and I grab it, "Next we meet lets hunt again."

   Having finished shaking hands, i depart. Only to step outside and find Mari walking by, "Hello Miss Mari."

   She looks behind me, "Checking in on dalp again."

   That and more, "I was actually saying goodbye."

   She raises an eyebrow, "You're leaving already? I know you have you're pilgrimage but, you've haven't even been here for a fortnight."

   I've been here longer than that, "As you said, I have a pilgrimage to take and I've also been given a few tasks."

   "Well, its been a pleasure to impart my knowledge onto you. If you're leaving you'll likely pass Lindwel." She gives a slight curtsy and requests, "Would you tell my old teacher Karus there how I'm doing?"

   Karus again, "If I cross paths with him I will, and it's been a pleasure for me as well." Walking our separate ways I notice Trijen walking in the direction of my residence with letter in hand.

   Getting into his line of sight he calls out to me, "I was just going to get you."

   I could tell that, "I assume you're here to give me that letter?"

   He hands it to me, "and also to tell you that I've negotiated your departure with the merchants. Its not a free ride, but you can travel safely alongside them"

   At least I'll get the protection from traveling in numbers, and someone to guide the way. Still a shame I'll need to walk, "I'll make sure this letter gets where it needs to be."

   Trijen replies, "Good, the merchants should be leaving soon. They like to rush their visits because Lindwel is half a days travel. So if they start earlier and hurry here and back they don't need to set up camp."

   Half a days travel on foot is around a twenty kilometer distance. Doesn't sound far if I recall traveling in a car. However what was a ten minute drive is now six hours of walking, "That works for me, since it means less time waiting."

   He smirks, "That's good, I guess this is farewell till we meet again."

   If we meet again, "Sure."

   Fortunately I've already gathered up most of my belongings, and stuffed them into my bag. Leaving me just needing to meet up and depart with the merchants.

I'm Back.

Updates will be slow but I plan to keep pushing forward.

I'm already planning the next story arc. This one will have a more conventional antagonist.

Still trying to decide how to implement other races so far I've only figured out one.

 

13