Chapter – 27 What lurks below?
156 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   We set forth inside the forest that covers the battlefield. Despite being a place inhabited by undead, the air is filled with the sounds of life. The birds sing as they feast on the insects buzzing about. The wind blows softly moving the tree's canopy causing the leaves to flutter. With the breeze arises fouls scents of rot.

   The Field Studies book did say that dying animals are drawn to this place, but how often must a creature die here for the smell of death to permeate the atmosphere to the extent it is no different from the other natural smells of the woods?

   A few paces further and Connor holds his hand up at us, "I've found a fresh Nowem mound." He crouches in front of a meter wide pile of dirt.

   Sarah sets down her pack and wields her staff, "Then dig it up."

   From a sling on his back, Connor pulls a shovel. The design is crude compared to modern tools, having a simple iron trapezoid for a spade. Despite the quality it has been well maintained having sharp blades and tip. Unique to the shovel though is opposite it's length from the spade rests a large hook. 

   Leaning toward Artisie I ask, "What is a Nowem?"

   She softly replies, "Its like a Wem but larger, and only found here."

   That's not very informative, but I can assume that if the Wem isn't native to the battlefield then the Nowem is likely an animal and not an undead. They're probably hunting it then to ensure they get something even if they fail the mission, "Thanks for the information."

   Connor's digging reveals a tunnel. Clearing the entrance he peers down it, "Ready when you are."

   Wielding her staff, Sarah's forehead creases and beads of sweat form, "Water Hose!" From the end of her staff comes a gush of water. 

   I wonder why it didn't make any sound this time. This magic, I'm going to need to investigate it further at some point.

   With the tunnel filling, Connor flips his shovel swapping to the hooked side.

   Something squeaks from within the burrow. Two flat paws emerge and start pulling the surrounding dirt. Filling with dirt the hole begins closing and cutting off the flow of water into itself.

   He thrusts the hook into the opening and catches the creature.

   It squeals as it is impaled, "SKEEEE!" It tries fleeing, but the hook keeps it.

   Using his whole body, he pulls the the Nowem into the light.

   Its a giant mole, about the size of a house cat.

   Pinning the Nowem to the ground, Connor draws a short handled pick1a heavy tool consisting of an iron or steel head, usually curved, tapering to a point at one or both ends, from his waist. Swinging it down, he pierces the Nowems head, killing it.

   What a strange creature. When an animal's home floods it usually tries to escape it, but this one was trying to stop the leak. That also was a lot of water created from nothing, "If you use this tactic every time you hunt this critter won't this place turn into a swamp?" 

   Gulping down air Sarah uses her staff to hold herself up, "No, physical elements... made from magic... dissipate over time." The strain of casting has left her out of breath.

   Then nonphysical elements don't dissipate? Well once a fire is started I suppose it only needs fuel and air to persist. What of that tunnel Artisie made back in the breathless forest, "Say Artisie, if magic dissipates over time does that mean we would have been trapped in the underground cavern if I had taken too long finding the Hellion core?"

   She frowns at my suggestion of her incompetence and speaks peevishly, "The tunnel was created using the dirt that was already there. So no, Its common practice anyways to prioritize using the natural elements already in an environment as the magic will require less effort than when generating them from the aether."

   A bit rudely worded, but it does fit in with everything I've observed so far.

   Having field dressed2Field dressing is the process of removing the internal organs of hunted game, and is a necessary step in preserving meat from animals harvested in the wild. Field dressing must be done as soon as possible in order to ensure rapid body heat loss, and prevent bacteria from growing on the surface of the carcass. the Nowem, Connor loads the carcass into a leather pack slinging it over his shoulder. He gives a hand to the drained Sarah, "Lets get moving."

   Continuing the stroll through the forest I inquire, "Shouldn't we have encountered some undead by this point?"

   Connor speaks while poking the ground with his shovel as he walks, "They are usually active at night and during the day they hide in the vacant nests of Nowem. I once heard a story about an unlucky guy who was walking right over one, and a hand shot up through the dirt grabbing his ankle and pulling him under to never be seen again."

   Sarah scoffs, "Don't be ridiculous, the nest is the lowest part in a Nowem's burrow. Its too deep for that."

   Perhaps I should still take a look, "It would still be for the best to know if the ground one walks on is solid."

[Seismic Sonar]

   The reverberation of signals emitted from the soles of my feet are constructed into a three dimensional model. Beneath the ground are dozens of burrows, varying in sizes, that stretch far beyond the reach of my sonar. At one edge of my mapping sits a large almost box shaped space separated from the many tunnels that fill the underground. 

   Connor peers at me, "What did you just do?"

   Did he feel the vibrations? I gotta come up with something, "I ... extended my senses to see into the earth."

   His wariness disappears, "Ah, I've heard of some who can see through the elements that match the aspect of their soul. It's some sort of inborn talent. Lucky you for having such a skill."

   Yes lucky me for being believed. Back to the unnatural space though, "With my.. skill I have sensed something glaringly abnormal. Up ahead lies a underground chamber that could only be man made with the structure it has."

   Sarah having recovered gives a smile, "Then lead the way, its not like we actually have anything else to go off of in our search."

   progressing towards the chamber the trees grow in density as we approach the center of the battlefield. Pushing through some branches we reach the location. 

   Stopping I observe the area, "It should be just beneath the ground in front of us. Could use a tunnel spell to open it up."

   Connor has his shovel in hand, "No, doing that could destroy things caught up in it. Found that out when we tried using it to catch a nowem. It was ground into pulp." Taking his shovel he pierces the earth. In only a few scoops of the soil he strikes something hard. Bending down he taps it with his spade producing a few thuds, "Wooden boards, they're pretty sturdy I'd have to uncover them entirely to move them out of the way."

   "It's been a few months since you've become second step, can't you use that move you've been going on about practicing?" Sarah appeals to him.

   "Like I said they're pretty sturdy, and if I striked hard enough to break them it could collapse the entire space." Connor says adamantly.

   Looking at the wood I realize something, "Since this underground chamber has a solid wood ceiling, it had to of been made by someone and they would need a way to get in and out so there should be an entrance." 

   "Augh!" Artisie cries sprawled out on the ground.

   Sarah rushes to her, "What happened?"

   "I tripped on a-. " She bends to look at the spot, "Handle?"

   Connor walks over, "Sounds like we have found our entrance." Grabbing the handle he yanks it. The hatch opens easily, but he falls backwards covering his nose, "Surely not even the dead would live in place this foul!"

   The smell reaches the nose of the girls as they show aversion to it as well. Artisie pulls the cloak over her face, and Sarah starts gagging before she manages to do the same.

   Standing over the entrance my eyes water, and I inhale. the scent is like boiling a septic tank filled with rotten materials of every variety. Forcing myself to get use to it I continue inhaling deeply, Peering down into the room the sunlight illuminates the harsh wooden walls and barren floor. A ladder sits beneath the opening, testing its strength I set a foot down on it. I find the ladder surprisingly sturdy as the step supports even my weight. Which is one from a person who has had a good deal of flesh replaced with steel.

   I go to descend the ladder and Connor stops me, "Surely you're not going down there, whatever is producing that smell can't be safe."

   Since my air filter didn't kick on then whatever is permeating the atmosphere probably isn't that hazardous, "I shall take that risk then."

   Artisie comes over having bound her cloak around her face, "As I was the one to find it I should go down as well."

   Sorta feels like things are repeating themselves. With her face covered, mine not, and going under ground. Hopefully this time it doesn't collapse, "I'll be descending then."

   The room is partly dilapidated and has old racks and tables filled with an assortment of clothes, tools, weapons, armor, and other miscellaneous things. Some of the stuff looks exceedingly old, and others far newer.

    Artisie reaches the bottom of the ladder and holds out her wand for a few moments, "Torch Fire." A small flame appears hovering a hands width from the end of her wand.

   Good thing the smell wasn't gas.

   With the added light I examine the room again, Scattered about are black furry splotches on the equipment and floor, and at one corner sits a crude stool that is covered in an excess of the gunk.

   Artisie looks around the room, "Its like an armory in here."   

   Grabbing a knife from a nearby table I scoop up some of the black stuff and sniff it. My nostrils burn and mucus start dripping from my nose. Wiping the snot, I show the covered knife to Artisie, "I think this is the culprit behind the smell."

   She leans back from the knife, "Keep it away from me!"

   Moving into the light of the entrance I hold up my finding, "Hey Sarah you said you're an apothecary, do you recognize this, I believe its responsible for the stench?"

   With her face covered Sarah looks down from above, "No, but I'm more of an apprentice apothecary."

   Interesting that she doesn't know. I should bring this back then, "Then do you have an empty container I could put it in to bring back to Karus?"

   Connor speaks up with skepticism in his voice, "Why would you want to bring something so horrible back to him?"

   Is it not obvious? "This is something that an apothecary doesn't recognize, it produces a unique powerful smell, and we found it in this strange room."

   "We only need to inform him of this place's location and be done with it. He'll find the stuff when he comes here." He tells me.

   That is true, but I'd prefer to bring some back anyways. You never know what might happen, "Give me something to put it in, or I'll carry it out in the open and you'll have to smell it all the way back to town."

   Sarah tosses something down that I catch. In my hands I hold a small ceramic jar bound shut with twine. Removing the lid I scrape up some of the black stuff depositing it into the jar and seal it tightly. 

   With the jar secured in my pack I ascend the ladder. 

   Connor gives me a hand up, "I just don't understand how this place got here, who would build it while dealing with the presence of the undead, and how would they have done it without being noticed?"

   Departing the ladder I stand up, "The room does appear very old, perhaps it was made before Lindel was."

   Sarah refutes me, "That would make it well over a hundred years old, and who would even have been here to make it?"

   Artisie calls out from below, "Look at what I found." From the base of the ladder she wields a tool that is identical to the one Connor has.

   Connor raises his eyebrows at the sight of it, "What? The Dig'n'Hook is custom made! Only two have ever been created, I have one and the other I lodged in a ghouls stomach!"

   A weapon embedded in a ghoul is now inside an underground armory. This is an important discovery, "Go ahead and bring that up with you, we should also show it to Karus." 

 

If anyone can find a tool similar to the Dig'n'Hook that'd be cool, because as far as I'm aware no-ones ever strapped a harpoon to a shovel.

Trying to find a way to organically insert a more in depth explanation of the magic system into the story. 

I already have a good plot point I've hinted at to give more insight for staining, but I need to find a good spot to better delineate the differences between the stages of steps and states. I also need to give a stronger explanation of aspects, because they can be more than just elements.

minor note in the last recovered file chapter I changed the terms undeath energy into miasma and death energy into effluvium. So when something dies it produces effluvium, that can be transformed into miasma to raise the undead. Miasma persists until used, but effluvium If not used dissipates into aether. Of course this is all minor details that will only be important if I have some human sacrifice happen later on, but I've yet to come up with a solid story for that.

Minor note: I might be playing up Artisie's incompetence/clumsiness to much which could interfere with my future plans.

8