Chapter – 34 Near Deathbed Confessions
89 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Searching around the underground settlement I find deteriorated supplies. the only salvageable items being stolen fabric and some length of rope. I also find a broken door which I pull loose. Using the available materials I create a wooden sled, Tying the the rope I see Artisie stir, recovering from her exhaustion.

   Looking around She stretches, "What happened?"

   Sticking out a hand I help her up, "The undead has been slain, but Conner wasn't agreeable about it. You should be the one to wake him up."

   Walking over she nudges him awake.

   Connor's eyes open seeing her, "Artisie," Pausing he swivels his head, "Did it escape?"

   Pointing at the corpse I answer, "No."

   Knowing what I did his face deepens, "The girl?"

   With a wave I gesture to her resting form, "Still in sleep, although I don't think it is one we can rouse her from. So I was creating this sled to pull her and the body back."

   His lips pull back revealing clenched teeth, "I'm not letting you pull her or put her with that rotting thing,"

   Less weight for me to move, "Then you can carry her, because we need this 'rotting thing' as proof of kill and for the moss remember?"

   "Yeah, The moss for the girl, however long that much will last." Grabbing the rope he announces,  "And I shall be using the sled as I carried Artise more of the distance than you did."

   I don't want to waste the energy on starting another fight, "Fine." Taking the stolen fabric I wrap the body limiting the stench and keeping it off me.

   Artisie summons a wisp of fire to light our way through the dark and from this subterranean chasm.

   Destruction covers the land from the fighting with trees having fallen and the plants trampled into the flattened dirt.

   At the end of the broken flora are torches surrounding a few men with Crons among them. Sitting on a stump he stares us down. Piled nearby are the corpses of the undead and the giant beast.

   Dragging the sled out of the hole Connor stops taking a few moments to breath, "He must be waiting on the rest of his crew to return with some carts."

   Artisie passively comments, "That much ghoul flesh is going to ruin the market."

   Holstering the rope around his shoulder he renews his pulling, "Fortunately Master Karus makes coin using the other resources provided by the battlefield."

   That's good for him, but how will this effect everyone else?

   Continuing on another piece of land scarred by fighting rests ahead of us. The wounds being much more elemental in nature than the last. At the center of the devastation is Zeena on her knees. She has an excess of blood on her, but the white of her teeth is still visible through her large grin.

   Across the way Karus is sprawled on the ground. Sarah is kneeling by him, tending to some injury he has sustained to the torso. He looks at us with a rigid expression, "She's dead."

   With little levity I offer console, "Then we're both murderers today."

   He speaks coldly, "You can't share such miseries and expect the burdens to be lessened."

   Connor looks at the ground gritting his teeth, "I'm certain you did it because she left you no choice."

   Attempting to get up Karus is held back by Sarah.

   Laying him down she tightens the bandages, "You will only worsen your condition trying to move."

   Stepping aside Connor shows The sled, "If you get on the sleigh with the girl I can take you back to town."

   Karus raises an eyebrow at the unusual complexion of the girl, "When I'm in better condition I expect an explanation for what you have been up to."

   Securing him to the sled we continue our return. Without the gale that followed us earlier the grass is still as we move by. Entering the town we pass the print shop.

   I stop walking, "Where are you going?"

   With little patience Connor spits out, "The church."

   Shouldering the wrapped corpse I nod too it, "That's hardly a place for me to take this."

   Having been returned her staff Sarah tilts it towards the shop, "Set it by the ink vat at the back."

   Splitting ways I find an open air room in the back. Large barrels are stacked near a vat of ink. The smell is of thick grease and makes my skin feel slimy. Leaving the corpse I head to the church.

   The place is bustling with people, some moving about with urgency, others in pain, and a few are praying.

   A bald middle aged man wearing a worn and raged robed stands next to me, "The good work proceeds me, does it not?"

   My head tilts at his strange words, "I'm not sure I know what you mean."

   Holding out a book he presses, "This might help you then, it is better held in hands that have never touched it."

   Taking it I glance at the cover, but when I look up he has moved elsewhere.

   Getting inside there are wounded receiving treatment. In one spot is Dorn sitting by Dirk who has a laceration across his leg. Not taking interest in them I continue looking around, finding Sarah and her Teacher treating Karus.

   The older lady shakes her head, "First the narcoleptics and their minor injuries, then Crons' hooligans show up carrying wounded, and now I have to tend to you."

   Staring up Karus apologizes, "Sorry madam, but this is how things unfolded"

   Stitching his cut abdomen she admonishes him, "You got lucky they didn't unfold more. Getting stabbed in the gut and only coming out of it with a nicked intestine."

   Using a wet rag Sarah wipes off the excess blood, "He didn't do it because he wanted to."

   Pausing with the needle she adjusts her bonnet, "I don't do this because I want to either. I prefer working with herbs not meat." Taking the thread she brings it taught pulling the flesh together.

   "Ergh" he grimaces. 

   The older woman looks down on him, "Don't be so pathetic that's only the first cut closed. However you got injured has done a great deal of tearing to your skin"

   Guess it'll be a while longer till they are finished with him. Passing the time I read the book the bald man gave me. Written by Elman the I flip to a random page, the words of which describe a series of prior historical events that are called ascents, and that the people who ascended are responsible for many phenomena of this world. From the cut in the moon to the creation of other races.

   Narb approaches me, "I've been asking around to get everyone's story on todays events. I just got done noting down Conner's, but I'd also want yours to get the full page."

   Closing the book I put it down, "He told you I've killed that girl with my actions I presume, which isn't entirely wrong. if that undead's words are true her time is limited. However, there may still be an answer." Probably.

   Wetting his pen he nods, "Not quite where I was hoping to get, but continue."

   This realization is one I should have had earlier, "I suspect that the jars that filled Zeena's secret storage room may have been the same as the jar the BoneStitcher used. If I can get those, it will extend the girls life."

   He chuckles, "That's some lofty speculation, and I know from personnel experience where assumptions get you."

   Sarah appears tapping Narb on the shoulder, "We are finished treating Karus, and he wants to speak to everyone."

   Breaking from the conversation I notice the building has started to clear out as people who received treatment and prayer have left. The few people that remain being connected to Karus and are gathering around him.

   Speaking softly he maintains a serious tone, "Listen close for what I tell you is never said loudly. There exists a group, that was founded during the lifetime of Elman. They call themselves the Tenth. I've long suspected them in the death of my brother Kadus, however they are as the shadows at twilight. Fortunately, in my fight I discovered Zeena was working for them. For one of their Heralds. That is who she made one of her lauded promises to."

   Narb questions, "Who are these Tenth and what do they want?"

   "That I know not." His face crumples and he grasps his side looking to Sarah "You were correct I do need it"

   Procuring a draught, she hands it to him.

   Uncorking it he drinks deeply his body relaxing, "As much as I wish to tell you more I haven't the ability currently." He lays back eyes closed.

   The group starts talking amongst themselves over this information.

   Stepping back, I move away from the group. The Heralds are a part of the tenth. They're connected to Zeena who worked with the undead I killed. The heralds also worked with the previous undead commander. Then there is Karus' brother dying with Jord and his crew in a landslide caused by the Tenth, but why did they do that? Jord used to operate in Lindwel, so maybe there is something.

   Scanning the files logged in recent memory I recover the newspaper clipping Trijen showed me.

   Jord killed the previous commander perhaps as retribution they killed him and Kadus was caught up in it. The ironized field journal made note of them. More of it's pages may have become readable and there might be other notes in them. I'm sure Karus won't mind me borrowing it to figure this out.

   While I am in thought the rest of the group give come together to give one last prayer over Karus before leaving.

   Wandering out of the church I return to the shop sneaking into the office.

   The room is empty and the light of the moon shines the the large window.

   Opening a few drawers I quickly find the journal. Opening it nothing on the now viewable pages makes mention of the Tenth. However, were the original note of the Tenth was is torn. Did he tear it out? I'll have to ask him when he wakes. On the topic where should I sleep? As he hasn't payed us yet, I suppose I can return to the church. Hopefully they'll let me sleep on one of their pews. 

   Leaving the office as I found it, I slink back to the church. However, ahead of me I see Artisie.

   She moves hurriedly and discreetly sliding through the door.

   Before the door fully closes I catch it. Why is she returning to the church?

   Aside from Karus who was unfit to be moved after having such delicate stitching all the other Injured returned to their own beds. Leaving only three people in this spacious room.

   Heading towards Karus, Artisie takes something from her waist. 

   Following her towards him I keep my silence. This is going to be pretty embarrassing if I stumble onto them having an affair.

   Standing next to him she brandishes a dagger. Winding up and posed to strike. 

   My paycheck! Lunging forward I grab her wrist.

   "eek!" She releases a squeal but stops quickly turning to look at me with wide open eyes.

   Keeping her wrist gripped my tone is heavily judgmental, "What are you doing?"

   With a small giggle she smiles innocently and speaks quietly, "Sorry I tripped."

   My brow furrows and I reply in a hushed tone, "I'm no fool. You were trying to kill him."

   Turning her hand she tries hiding the dagger, "What? You must be mistaken I was was uhh.." The expression drops from her face, "Oh to the realms below with it. I was, but who are you going to tell? You're a stranger, an outsider to this place and the only people you spent a meaningful length of time with have soured in their opinion of you."

   I haven't been doing the best at endearing myself to others however, "Karus still seems fairly neutral to me."

   At my rebuke she switches tactics, "Huh? then I'll tell them you tried to despoil me!" With those words she slips from my grasp.

   She'd accuse me of rape? I don't know the laws here but I know I'd get hanged for that. Wait they also don't know about me as I am an outsider and a strange one at that, "Tried with what?"

   Pointing the dagger at me she shakes the tip, "With your man parts of course."

   A good lie always mixes in some truth, "I have plant parts, I'm green all the way down."

   She fumbles her words as she must be second guessing herself, "That's, but, you'd."

   With an open palm I reach out, "Hand me the blade."

   Her grip shifts on the handle before tightening, "No, it is my obligation to do this." Whipping her arm back she throws the dagger, but not at me.

   My eyes trace the trajectory, and I realize the dagger is headed for Karus. I jump towards him trying to intersect the blade. With no time to properly block the attack I use my own body and swing up my arm hitting the sharp edge. The metal slices through and cuts my skin drawing blood, but the dagger looses it's momentum falling to the floor.

   What has taken over her? She's become so different in her demeanor. I've only seen her as a simple minded ditz of a girl, but that seems to have all been a facade, "I need him alive to get paid, what do you need him dead for?"

   From beneath her robe she procures two more daggers but with marble hilts, "That is not something I can tell you. Although whether you believe me or not, I am acting for a greater good." She closes the distance between us.

   I unsling my Cudgel. Has she been hiding her competence behind clumsiness? She always seemed to stumble onto what we we're looking for. What else has she been using that trait to hide?

   She stabs at me with one blade and slices with the other.

   Pivoting on my foot I move pass the stab and with the Cudgel in its wooden state I swing against the other dagger. The metal embeds itself into the wood. Wait, all the way back when we where in the forest she nearly fell to her death. Could that have been purposeful? Trijen was about to tell more about the Tenth-, then Artisie fell cutting off the conversation. There was also when that undead was talking about them she attacked it. And recently Karus told us about his ill will against them. "Something about this fight has really jogged my memory."

   Taking a step back she leaves the blade stuck in my Cudgel, "You want to keep him alive to get your coin, I'll double what he owes you." 

   Isn't the first time I've heard that cliche deal, "You want him dead because of the Tenth."

   Her eyebrows pull together, "I'm rescinding that offer."

   The marble on the dagger wedged in my weapon cracks. Cold air pushes from the blade, and frost forms on my Cudgel.

   Putting my hand on the chilled metal it burns. Freezer Burn.

   Using the advantage, she goes in for another attack.

   Taking the Cudgel, I turn it down and place my boot on the dagger pulling hard.

   Swinging she aims at my neck. 

   The frost covers my boot. However, the blade comes loose, The force I exerted on it is released causing the Cudgel to accelerate upwards.

   She is a breath away but stops short, the Cudgel hits. Receiving the blunt strike to the torso causes her to stumble back.

   Shaking my boot the dagger falls off, "I'll make my own offer. What is this Tenth group and why are they causing you to do these things? Tell me an I'll end the fight." One way or another.

   Applying pressure to her chest she swallows, "I doubt your words. But will you swear to it?"

   Resting the head of cudgel on the ground I do a waving motion over my crotch, "On my plant parts."

   Making a face she sighs, "The Tenth seek to prevent a foretold disaster. To stop the eleventh Ascent.

   My hand clenches, "And they do this by killing any who stand in the way of their nebulous plans?"

   Taking a deep breath, pain shows in the contours of her face, "We do what we must."

   I throw up a hand, "Do you? From what I can tell you wouldn't be trying to kill Karus if other members of this Tenth hadn't killed his brother. If you remove him, someone else will likely try to avenge Karus as well. Such as Connor, will you end him next? Not that I can argue for him, but you'd also have to go after Sarah as they seem quite close. Then you'd have to go for her teacher. Where will it end?"

   She casts her eyes downwards, "The words you speak, they bear truth. However, my course is set." Her gaze turns to the deeply sleeping Karus.

   There was an intent to kill in her attacks on me, but I don't think she has taken a life, "I know I made it seem easy carrying that corpse, like the weight of its life was nothing. But I assure you it was the heaviest thing I've carried in a long while."

   "And I have been trained, I can do this." Her hands both grip the dagger, but the blade waivers.

   The longer I draw this out and get her to think on her actions, the more she is hesitating, "I'm starting to think that your facade was only half a lie."

   Walking up to Karus she looks at his sleeping form. Then to the dagger in her hand. She shakes her head. She raises her weapon.

   My body tenses.

   Posed there for a few seconds, it's like she's been there for hours as her form becomes exhausted, some strain wearing her down from within. With a shaking hand she brings her arm down. Turning to me she stares harshly. A few moments pass and she speaks, "Meet me tomorrow at the guild." Taking off she slinks out of the church.

   Karus turns to lay on his back letting out a snore.

He slept through all that? Must've been some heavy stuff Sarah gave him.

 

Before anyone says it, I know getting tazed doesn't knock you out, but the combination of running a few kilometers, fighting and the overall stress could easily make a person take a nap. Getting electrocuted to the ground is the catalyst for helping it happen. 

I've laid plenty of what I thought were hints that Artisie isn't what she appears, but feedback on if this seems to unexpected would be appreciated.

Also for clarification the convenient clumsiness is just the hint that is most easily referenced. there are others. 

4