Chapter 35 – Chasing Paper
94 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Getting up, my back is stiff from sleeping on the pew. Before resting I had thickly bandaged my arm, however my acidic blood has long since burned through. Overnight though a stiff scab has formed covering the wound. 

   If it was a deep cut I would have been in trouble. Back home the bandages where synthetic and didn't burn as fast. Plus I had baking soda to sprinkle on them to counteract the acid. Neither of those are available to me now. I'll need to keep an eye out for a way to treat any bleeding I have from now on.

   Taking the ruined material I throw it away.

   With the noise I make Karus stirs opening his eyes, "Not the first person I expected to see today." His voice does not carry the same strength an authority. The stress of injury and action wear on him.

   Didn't expect to sleep here either but, "You've yet to pay me so I hadn't anywhere else to go."

   Holding his stomach he sits up, "First I need a report on what happened."

   Taking a few moments I give a brief telling of yesterdays events, ending the tale short of the events that happened later in the night.

   He listens quietly until I finish speaking, "That undead you fought. he sounds to have been quite the Putrid One. And the girl, where is she?"

   They couldn't just leave the weathered door of a sled in the church so using it, "Connor and Sarah took her."

   Giving a nod he glances around the empty room, "The shipment you believe has more of the moss. It is likely going to Zeena's employer a member of the Tenth. If you go after it and discover anything about my brother, tell me. I will share knowledge regarding a hidden sect of dryads I've discovered in return."

   A hidden sect of dryads? They could have some helpful information, but I might find myself in hot water for impersonating them. Well I'm headed to their island, it'll be worse for me if I wait till I'm stuck there to find out, "If I do then I will send you a letter." Having somewhere to be I step out of the church. Cool morning air creeps over me, "Must be getting later in the year."

   The town is busy and filled with the murmurs of those curious of recent happenings. A surplus of carts line the streets. In front of the print shop there are a few people dallying about, probably loyal readers of the paper wanting to get their news. At the guild one of the slain ghouls is displayed as a trophy. Some gather around viewing it like a circus attraction.

   Getting to the door I pass Jer tugging an old leather suitcase, "Why the luggage?"

   Sitting it down he wipes his forehead with a handkerchief, "I have to transport paperwork to Ranthor. Since Expert Crons and his men slayed what they're calling a DeathWalker while also taking down many a ghoul, there won't be much demand for flesh. So, most are leaving for other places. All the documentation of their work here has to be taken as well."

   My plans don't have me staying here much longer either, "Then take a copy of mine with you to."

   He tucks the handkerchief back into his pocket, "You needn't worry about that, it is standard practice to take all new registrations also when doing this."

   I step out of his way, "Don't let keep you from it then."

   Inside the guild the atmosphere different. Like reaching the summit of a mountain, and then procrastinating on taking the journey down. Everyone is aware they can't stay here but aren't yet willing to commit.

   At a secluded table Artisie is seated and sipping at a cup filled with a brownish liquid.

   Pulling out a chair I seat myself across from her.

   She looks up from her drink speaking softly, "Because of you I am lost."

   Strange way to start a conversation. Says she is lost, "In what manner though?"

   Putting her elbows on the table she rotates her cup letting the drink swirl, "If you weren't there, I would not have hesitated. Now what am I to report. The Cognithurges would see through any lies I could tell."

   Weird name but they're probably some type of mage and if they really are a problem, "Then don't return."

   "That is not a choice, I am shackled." Pulling up her sleeve she reveals a thick blue metal brace. Emblazoned across its surface are sigils, "It's refined Karssinnium metal, like the blue stones Karus uses. However, his are of much lower quality."

   Those stones Karus has spread throughout the forest around the battlefield. They act as monitoring system connected to the board on his wall. A magic based surveillance system. Her's is different though so, "What does it do?"

   She traces the engravings, "Provides knowledge of where I am and if I have perished."

   Wouldn't be easy since the shackle is thick and close to the skin, but I could break it. Unless she finds it fashionable, "How about removing it then?"

   Shaking her head she speaks somberly, "They would investigate what happened to one of their assets, and those that run from them do not fare well."

   Quite a conundrum she's gotten herself into, but what trouble is it of mine that she has cast her lot with these terrible people? "Some responsibility for this may rest on me, but your choices led you here." ... This is a brewing trouble for her though, and one I've added to as well. To keep my promise then, "If you want me to help, I need you to give me a way."

   She takes a drink from her cup, "The reason I was sent here was to investigate Karus. Because as a Seeker I am to search for the person who will be the eleventh to ascend, and potential threats to the Tenth."

   Another part to this organization, Heralds and now Seekers. How large is this Tenth, and am I going to have to destroy this secret society to help a few people? There must be an easier answer. Their goal is the eleventh ascent. What exactly does this mean and if they achieve it will they dissolve? "The Tenth's goal is to stop the disaster the eleventh ascent will bring. However, what reason do they have to believe this, and how will they even know of their success?" 

   Her eyes look up to her brow like they're trying to pull knowledge from her brain, "The first wife of Elman was a woman with the aspect of time. Using it she could peer through the veil of the future. However, doing so brought a toll upon her and she was oft in illness suffering to the point of losing hair. The final prophecy she gave before succumbing to a flesh shedding sickness was of the eleventh ascent."

   illness, hair loss, flesh falling off. Sounds like severe radiation sickness. 

   With a serious tone she recites, "The eleventh ascent will rend open a great beast's maw which craves to devour the world." She pauses, "As for knowing if the prophecy is broken. That is why there are different parts to the Tenth. Seekers are those trying to prevent the eleventh from happening in perpetuity, while the Heralds believe it is inevitable and are preparing to fight when the day comes."

   No easy answer there then. Perhaps I'm thinking in the wrong directions then. Instead of breaking her chains or burning down the prison. let's remove her from the roster. As Jer showed they have to manually transport paper records in this world which is why, "If we break the tracking equipment and destroy the paperwork for who is connected to it, would you be freed?"

   Her brow raises, "You got that idea from what I said?"

   I shrug my shoulders, "More or less."

   Giving her lip a bite, she ruminates before giving her answer, "Maybe it would work, but you would become the target instead of me."

   If I stay on the move then I don't need to worry and I'm already set on leaving this country, "I should be fine as long as Meninx doesn't have an extradition treaty with Elmanta."

   She tilts her head, "A what?"

   Extradition is a semi-modern concept I suppose. Which means, "Yeah, I'll be fine." Tapping my foot an inconsistency comes to mind, "Hey if you were investigating Karus, why where you in Zeena's crew?"

   "As I spoke of earlier the Tenth is in parts and does not work in unity. Being in her crew was to learn more about what the Heralds have been doing here, as they rarely interact with the southern lands." Drinking the last of the cup she places it on the table looking morosely at the empty piece of ceramic, "Grain water is insufficient to break the nightly fast."

   "The backing of a mysterious group and you can't even afford to feed yourself." Standing up I push in my chair, "Guess we should go hound Karus for our payment then."

Updated the races tab in the glossary to include eugenics.

I've tried to make the character thought flow more into the dialogue. feedback on this would be appreciated.

Trivia: The word breakfast originated in the fifteenth century and meant the breaking of the fast one goes through every night. For clarity the act of fasting is to abstain from food. This is why it is impossible to have a second breakfast.

3