Chapter – 36 Wounds Suck
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Walking back to the church we spot Karus taking trembling steps.

   I approach him, "Should you really be up and walking old man?"

   Holding an arm across where his stitches are he shakes his head, "There is much to be done today, both for me and the church. As such I mustn't stay there."

   Connor appears rushing towards Karus, "You can't be walking about. If your stitches rip, you'll spill your guts."

   Stepping forward Artisie tells him, "He's closer to the shop than the church."

   Reaching out a hand Connor sighs and offers Karus support, "Then let me lend an arm." 

   It wouldn't hurt to help as well, "I will lend mine too."

   Connor gives me a hard stare but doesn't stop me.

   Heading to the shop we enter upon a strange scene.

   The cursed girl is laid upon stacks of old unsold papers. A reddish tint to her face and damp cloth over her forehead. Sarah and the pharmacist are close by. 

   The older woman upon seeing Karus exclaims with worriful shock, "What are you doing here?"

   He answers, "Because this is my abode. Why are you here?"

   Turning her gaze she gives a curt reply, "Treating the girl."

   Looking past her Karus eyes the small form, "I can see that, but why here?"

   She holds her nose up, "Unlike your grease house I care about how my shop smells."

   Laying on the floor nearby is the corpse haven been moved. It is still wrapped but the scent emanates from it nonetheless.

   Wrinkling his nose Karus tells her, "The moment that odor reaches upstairs you're out."

   Sarah holds her hand to the girl's head, "She's burning up."

   The older woman commands her "Wet the rag again."

   She replies, "I have but she's still getting hotter."

   The undead said she needs him to survive could this be what he meant? If that's the case then, "Have you tried giving her the black moss?"

   Aghast by the suggestion the woman covers her mouth, "By the realm above, I would never. I need more time to study it first."

   Connor speaks in a darkened voice, "There is none."

   Having gotten ahead of the conversation Sarah has already retrieved some of the moss from the corpse. A small amount but she still pulls her nose from it. With a pinch she pushes her fingers into the girl's mouth.

   The girl's cheeks move and her lips latch onto the fingers sucking them.

   Grimacing Sarah extracts her slimy saliva covered digits.

   There room pauses with everyone observing the unexpected scene. Even the experienced medical practitioner is standing mouth agape at her student's out of character actions.

   With her clean hand she feels the girl's forehead that is rapidly losing its red flush, "She's cooling off."

   The eyes of the girl softly flutter open, "Where am I?"

   Regaining her composure, the older woman takes on a motherly tone, "Safe now sweety." Turning to Sarah she speaks harshly but quietly, "We will talk about what you just did later."

   With wobbling legs Karus puts more weight on our shoulders.

   Giving a regretful look towards his lady, Connor turns to Karus, "Let's get you back to your office."

   The stairway isn't large enough for three people side by side, so I hang back heading up behind with Artisie in tow.  Inside the office Connor places Karus into his chair which is fairly large and ornate with decent padding.

   Gathering around the desk Connor speaks first, "What the undead said was true, so how are you going to clean this mess up?" Focusing his eyes he stares at me, "That's what you said you would do, wasn't it Cain?"

   His provocations don't take effect on me, "It is what I will do. We need more black moss and I know where to get it. The cart that Rolt took was probably loaded with it. "

   He leans in, "Probably?"

   Slapping a palm against the desk Karus admonishes him, "That's enough Connor. Let's get back on page. This unnamed girl, where are her parents, her home?"

   What do I know of her? I remember what she told me when we first met, that devastated house, and the undead's mention of a prior attempt. So I suspect, "She is fatherless and her mother, was likely taken victim before her. As for her home, it's been ransacked."

   Tutting he shakes his head, "No good, no good at all."

   I shift my weight from one foot to the other, "If I and Artisie are to set off for the moss we'll need our payment."

   Agreeing he raises a brow, "Of course, you completed my request, but why is Artisie going with you?"

   I don't think it would be wise to tell him she works with the tenth, but what reason do I give him? "Well-"

   She cuts me off, "I am also responsible for how things turned out. I impaled the putrid undead and in doing so limited the choices that could be made." 

   With a softened expression Connor speaks, "You did what was right, with what was known. You are hardly to blame."

   Karus observes Artisie, but makes no comment. Unlocking a drawer on the desk he fumbles around it retrieving some gold coins. "Here, and may Elman give you speed."

   There may not be a need for a blessing of speed since, "We found some of the stuff in that underground chamber, perhaps there is more scattered around the battlefield."

   A slight smile comes across his lips, "Did you hear that Connor? Now there is something for you to do instead of festering."

   Connor nods, "I heard."

   Taking the coins, I and Artisie go to exit the shop. Making way not to disturb those on the bottom floor. However, we are stopped.

   Narb approaches us article in hand, "I need a second opinion on the headline before I publish this and everyone else is preoccupied."

   Looking at the paper I read 'A forest made battlefield with strength and intellect,' "It's a fair headline for the fight between Zeena and Karus."

   Disappointment emanates from him, "I thought so too, but that was before Karus told me yesterday to not include his fight with Zeena because of her connections."

   Zeena's connection with the Tenth? "Then you should remove the fight with the undead over the girl, since he had the same connections."

   He drops the papers to the ground disheartened by my words, "That would mean I need to revise article with even less to work with." Sighing he laments, "But you're right."

   Picking up the scattered papers Artisie hands them to him, "You can do it, I've seen you write plenty with little knowledge or time."

   Gripping them tight he looks into her eyes, "Thanks. I know can."

   Outside the streets are still lined with carts, but the amount has noticeably decreased. 

   Moving further away from the people that remain loitering about I turn to her, "I hadn't realized you were so aggrieved over your actions yesterday."

   With a playing cheerful tone she answers, "I wasn't."

   "Oh, I see." What a fool am I for forgetting she's an agent for a secret organization. Of course, she could confidently spin a few lies. Thats what she's been doing the entire time I've known her.. Moving on, "We're heading for Fallton, but I don't know where that is. You also never said where the Seekers base is." 

   The ditzy facade of hers dwindles for a moment at my mention of the seekers but she quickly recovers, "Fallton is to the far north near a giant hole beside the western mountains, and the Seekers have multiple bases. However, the one that would have the equipment and information for me is located Ranthor which is also north of here."

   That's convenient since I also have the letter to deliver there, "Alright let's get supplies for the travel."

   Looking me up and down she frowns, "And a change of attire for you. This town may have been willing to let you in wearing that, but Ranthor will not."

 

Renamed the last recovered file because 'holy book' seemed to be too off putting. it provides interpretations of incredibly important world altering events. 

Just made a terrible realization. I've copied the plot from the village. With Cain leaving town to do something for a troubled young girl. Thankfully though I've set up enough plot points that moving from one place to the next won't cause this to be repeated.  Unless this is something people want.

2