Chapter – 37 Information Transportation
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   After finishing our affairs in Lindwel we took to the road, on foot.

   My back itches. The tunic is made of rougher materials than what I am used to. The trouser and breeches are the same. The leather hood1If you search leather hood put the word medieval before it, or you'll be shown gimp masks. I pilfered I have also adorned. The whole outfit is slightly mis-sized and dully colored. Can't believe the tailor didn't have a large stock of clothes. Apparently, it's all made to order. I guess somewhere in our industrialization we made trades instead of improvements. Everyone wore mass produced clothes in what was considered the wealthiest nations and yet almost everyone in this place gets their clothes tailored.

   While we travel mostly in a straight line north the mountain range doesn't, and its peaks get farther from us. Trees that look similar to birch appear amongst the oaks. The button tree's white bark noticeable against the darker hues of the forest. 

   This apparel may not be as comfortable as modern clothes but it could be worse, "You were quite insistent on trying to get me into that garish outfit, yet what you're wearing is so plain." the outfit was an ugly set of clothes, like a wearable circus tent.

   She swishes the hem of her green robe, her straw hat twisting with the movement, "Maybe because I am required to wear something so plain."

   Inconspicuous clothing then. Helps keep the attention from her. How very spy like, or maybe ninja with that magic dagger she used. Speaking of which, "What was with the ice blade you used against me."

   With a flick of her wrist the dagger appears the broken marble hilt still present, "This was made by an Aethersmith. It has a Sinter stone at the base."

   The marble is called a Sinter stone? "Shame it broke then."

   She tilts her head, "Erh, that's what they do." Thoughts pass between her brows, "I forgot you're a fresh sprout."

   That again, fresh sprout. Almost feels like she's saying I was born yesterday.

   Taking a moment, she continues, "Sinter stones are a catalyst. To actify one always needs a catalyst. They come in many forms, but most common are staffs and wands due to their reusability.  However, there are benefits to catalysts that break when used. Such as when Karus was fighting, he used the pages of a newspaper. Which allowed him to manipulate multiple elements in quick succession. Doing that with a staff would have resulted in its destruction."

   If even a sheet of paper could be used as a catalyst, "Why even have a staff, couldn't you pick up the nearest thing and use it?"

   Her expression is the kind made when one is asked a particularly stupid question, "No, only that which once was alive can be used since forming an elemental pathway in the material is necessary. Karus likely had that specific newspaper prepared with pathways beforehand." She inhales, "Before there's any confusion despite its name a Sinter stone is made from hardened purified sap. The reason for using it instead of a scroll is that it provides the unique benefit of a delayed effect after actifying. Great for manifesting things behind someone's defenses."

   Then the Sinter stone is amber, no amber is fossilized sap. It would be a hard resin then. How come they're all made from plants though? "What of catalysts made from animals?"

   "Forming pathways in them is difficult, and chaotic. However, staffs made from the bones of powerful creatures do exist. Though I would hesitate to use one." She shudders.

   Catalysts can be made with plants and rarely animals. Then, "Is Karssinium some byproduct of a plant?"

   "No, it is an ore, but it is used as a medium." She pauses, "And a medium is the substance that a manifestation is actified into and also heavily affects maintaining the manifestation. Though air is the common medium due to being readily available and versatile. Although it does make maintaining difficult and results in a fast diminishing."

   If the medium as where the effect happens, "Can a person be a medium?"

   "That's complicated." She purses her lips.

   And what she's said so far isn't?

   Her head tilts side to side like the thought is being tumbled back and forth, "It is not impossible, but it is ill-advised."

   "Hmm." I spend the time connecting her words to what I've witnessed so far.

   With only small talk and the observation of the wilderness around us the day drags on long. However, its end does come with the sun setting low. We stay the night at a village between Ranthor and Lindwel. It is larger than Jord and has a higher standard of living. The high flow of people through here today leaves no accommodations available, nor do our funds permit it. Having been spent on food and clothing.

   Near the village's fence I sit down my bag using it as a cushion for my head while laying down, "Have you slept with the night sky as your roof?"

   Artisie does similar to me creating a makeshift pillow with hers, "I did as a part of my training."

   Then hopefully she won't act so miserable when getting up like ... did. ... The weathers been changing must be getting closer to the winter season, "It has been getting colder lately." My internal climate control was keeping me cool in the pelts, but now it looks like it will be keeping me warm.

   "Then I'll put on another layer if needed." She opens her pack showing a second robe.

   Should we do a watch? We are inside a village, but people are arguably more dangerous than the wilderness. If only all my bionics where working, then I wouldn't have to worry about this. Artisie is a native here though and she didn't say anything so she must think it is safe.

   We rest uninterrupted, until the sun makes its return.

 

I'm trying to slowly fill out the explanation for how the magic in this world works as I don't want to have several pages of an info dump. However, even going over the one basic component of how one cast this worlds version of a spell has multiple parts to it. I still haven't even given a full description of the elements, staining, aspects, or even the different tiers of magic.

If you have anything you would like to have more info on first then say.

1