Chapter 1
44 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of thudding footsteps is barely heard over the voices filling the main street. A child runs as fast as he can, weaving through the crowd. He's quite agile, and doesn't slow down.

Not even when he crashes into Mr. Miller's produce stand and spills lettuce and carrots all over the stone path.

"Thomas! I told you not to run!"

The child, Thomas', mother lifts the boy to his feet while taking in huffs of air.

"I'm so sorry, Mr. Miller. All your hard work has gone to waste," she says, her face red either from shame or chasing down her son. No one could really tell, which made Thomas feel all the more guilty.

There was one person who did not hang his head as he nestled his large, calloused hand atop the boys head.

"Ahaha! No worries, Mrs. Fletcher. I'm sure he's just excited. It's that child's inauguration day, after all! For a commoner to become mage..."

Mr. Miller's eyes shone as he spoke.

"Isn't this a new age of hope for us common folk?"

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

"Lady Noelle~!! My Lady!"

The attendants hurry through the halls of the grand temple. There were only five hours left before the ceremony and the lady of honor was nowhere to be seen! They still had to bathe her in holy water, massage her with divine perfumes, dress her in ceremonial garb... Their heads hurt just thinking of how little time they had.

Is this how it feels serving a teenager? They didn't know. To serve the temple was an action of the highest honor. The ladies bowed their heads only to the goddess and her direct servants. Of course, this did include the mages, but... There had never been a mage this young before. How on earth was one supposed to handle such immaturity!? How dare they be treated with so little respect.

splash!

The attendants turned to the courtyard to find a young woman sitting on the ledge of the fountain. Her soft hair curled around her face, the black color contrasting against her pale skin. Her topaz eyes sparkling in the light. Bubbles of water of varying sizes floated around her, casting shining patterns throughout the courtyard. 

The water crashed back into the fountain it came from as Noelle shot to her feet.

"Oh no... Am I late? I swear I didn't mean to..."

She held her hands close to her chest while her body began to shiver. From her small figure to her teary eyes, her image pierced itself into the hearts of the attendants meeting her for the first time.

Was she truly a mage? They had never met anyone so adorable. It was decided then. No matter what! They! Will! Show the world this cuteness! Cuteness is justice!!!!

With quick hands, the attendants pulled her out the courtyard and down the hall to get her ready.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

The large doors swung open into the chapel. Each and every pew was crammed full of fine silks and delicate lace. Prim and polished ladies and gentlemen from all sorts of countries forming a sea of luxury spanning the length of the isle. Standing at the end was the statue of the goddess, and to either side, the four current mages. 

The newest mage made her way to her seniors. Her white gown fluttered with each step. Her lips lifted into the brightest smile.

The whole world fell in love with Noelle as her presence overtook all.

She finally knelt before the statue of the goddess, the four mages kneeling in kind. A sparkling light showered down on Noelle, covering her in shimmering gold. A giant symbol of a five petaled trumpet flower appeared mid air, as the strength of the light around Noelle took a crescendo. 

At the moment that it disappeared, flowering vines spun out and covered the walls and ceiling of the chapel in lush greenery.

Noelle had mastered the magics of water, fire, earth, and wind.

And she was now gifted plant magic.

 

The audience rejoiced. Even the royal family rose to their feet in applause. Cheers roared, shaking the temple's very foundation.

Only Noelle remained silent.

Only Noelle knew of the fire in her eyes.

 

 

2