192 – Life is a mission
1.3k 6 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How can you keep track of all your work?”  Fatty Fang asked as he watched Li Yun looking through a pile of paperwork. He often wondered how Li Yun was able to accomplish so many things so quickly. 

Fatty Fang liked to focus on one job, and spent the rest of his time in leisure. He was very different from Li Yun, who was constantly working on something. From working as a surgeon for the hospital, hunting for antiques, researching drugs, and seeing patients; he still managed to have the time to sit down and chat with his friends.

“Watching you is exhausting sometimes,” Ju De chimed in, another one of the people who didn’t like to do much work. He did work when needed and could lounge around doing nothing for weeks and not feel an ounce of shame.

“This is something you two can do as well, you just don’t wanna,” Li Yun replied.

“Are you sure this isn’t related to your mission?” Fatty Fang asked. It had been a long time since Li Yun had talked about his missions, maybe since the beginning of high school. However, no matter how far out of reality it was, the concept would be interesting to see in real life.

“Life is a mission,” Li Yun replied.

“I guess it takes a certain kind of personality, I personally enjoy my free time.” In typical Fatty Fang’s fashion, he whipped out his phone and started reading his webnovels.

Although they were different, they were both happy with the paths they had chosen. If Fatty Fang was overloaded with work, he would become irritated, and it was not good to see an irritated Fatty Fang. 

As for Li Yun, if he wasn’t doing something without a purpose, he would feel irritated. Sleep and relaxation had a purpose, speaking to others had a purpose and eating had a purpose. Fatty Fang didn’t think any of it was purposeful, he just did whatever he wanted.

“You would be a good fit for those big cities, some people there are overworked,” Fatty Fang remarked.

Considering Li Yun’s  relationship with Rouxi and his frequent trips, everyone thought he was going to relocate to Imperial City or Magic City.

“People in the city are overworked because the competition is high,” said Li Yun. He didn’t think overworking the employees had any benefit. It was better to work smart than to work long hours. The only reason why he worked long hours was because his body could handle it. If he didn’t have energy restoration techniques, he would be sleeping 7 hours a day. “How are the employees?”

“No complaints so far, we added eggs to their meals,” Ju De responded. “Bufu requested some meals to be delivered to the downtown location as well.”

“That’s fine, how many employees are you hiring for the delivery service?” Li Yun asked about their plan expansion.

“A dozen more,” Ju De sounded a bit bored with much of the work completed. 

"And Yunli?" Asked Li Yun.

"On the fifth week of a clinical trial," said Ju De. "That Magic City professor should know more about it."

Yunli's Phase III clinical trial started for a few weeks, but it would be another 20 weeks before they close the first clinical trial. The initial report from his so-called animal testing was well received, but it didn't generate much interest until the National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) announced how it would improve pain management. Chen Gan had likely done it as a favor for treating his mother, or to thwart the Tang’s family plans. It didn’t matter to Li Yun as there were many tasks to take care off.

Li Yun still needed to monitor the product carefully. Any type of medicine that was used to treat pain could cause addiction and over-reliance. The only difference with his medicine was that after a certain amount of dosage, the medicine would pass through the body and empty out via the rectum. Diarrhea was a common side effects of many drugs, but it was just the body doing its job.

The concept came from ibuprofen overdose where activated charcoal was introduced to absorb the compound before it entered into the bloodstream. Yunli-01 worked in similar ways. When Yunli-01 sensed that there was an overpopulation of similar compounds, it would absorb each other, creating Yunli-02. Yunli-02 would be too big to enter the bloodstream, and naturally emptied out like a waste product.

With his recent stint of the news and seminars, Huifu was also becoming a big success and generating revenue. There were even international interests. Li Yun had applied for FDA in the states the same time as the submittal to the NMPA, but he was sure the process overseas would be much slower.

“How about the wine cellar?” Li Yun asked.

Ju De eyes sparkled. “All ready.”

“When are you starting the operation?” Fatty Fang asked.

“Not until I come back,” said Li Yun. “I’m heading to Yunan Forest for a week.”

He had been neglecting the medicinal portion to focus on the Yunli pills, and he needed a week to see if he could collect as many materials as possible. With his company stabilized, he set his sight on finding the medicinal that met the qi requirements.

Gather the following items.

   Tool: Cauldron with 1000 qi, jade trigrams with 1000 qi, and wood with 1000 qi.

   Items: 9 different items with 1000 qi. 9/9

   Medicinals: 9 different medicinal with 1000 qi. 

There were two requirements in generating qi in artifacts. The first was the skill of the artisan, and the second was the age. The initial skill set was required as it triggered the object's ability to absorb qi. However, for medicinals, there was no artisan involved. The only way to gather gi was by age.

Li Yun had searched online for different forests with trees dating more than thousand years old. There were several forests he wanted to visit. Daintree Rainforest was considered the oldest rainforest in the world, around 180 million years old. He was still polishing up his English, and he would prefer to travel outside the country with Rouxi.

In the end, he chose to visit the Yunan Rainforest. There was enough biodiversity in the forest for him to test and experiment with more substances. Yunan Rainforest was known as the Kingdom of Plants and Animals. More than 4,000 species of plants inhabited that Yunan Rainforest, and that was only the ones discovered. Every year, scientists added hundreds more to the list.

Li Yun decided to focus on endemic species, which were plants that grew in a specific environment. If he was able to understand the diverse climate of the Yunan Rainforest, he would be able to reproduce its environment in his greenhouse. Creating the rainforest environment would expand and enhance his botanical collection. He was also on the lookout for rare species, but he was not sure of the chances of encountering one. And even if he did, the other scientists would probably be the first to take a sample and study it. He didn’t want to compete with scientists.

Aside from the 1,000 qi medicinal, Li Yun was also looking for plants that could be useful for making other medicines. With Yunli ready for the market, Li Yun needed to research and develop other formulas. The other reason was because a team of scientists regularly made trips deep into the forest. He had gathered the information from Academician Tan, who had connections with a lot of scientists in the area. Li Yun joined the excursion team as one of two doctors. Exploring the rainforest could be dangerous as the chances of contracting illnesses were possible, especially in damp environments.

****

Li Yun prepared his luggage for the trip. He was a light packer, but his luggage was also filled with equipment for preserving plants and instead, and some of his personal medical kits. He would have finished packing faster if Rouxi wasn’t hanging onto his arm and distracting him.

“It will only take a week.”  Li Yun said.

“You’re not going to invite me to join?” Rouxi pouted. 

“We spent the entire Spring Festival together, aren’t you tired?” If he had asked her, she would have ditched her classes. She had three classes for the final semester, which she was willing to skip.

“A bit, but I want to visit the rainforest,” Rouxi replied.

“We’ll travel the next time you’re on break.”

“Can you livestream on ZZ while you’re there? Your viewers said they always see you indoors, and it’s a bit depressing.”

Li Yun only streamed in the courtyard, the viewers were probably bored seeing the same scenery. He wondered how they weren’t bored yet considering he didn’t have any other content.

“I’m not sure if there’s any connection, but I’ll stream if there’s one. Do you want me to bring anything back from Yunan?”

“Pu-erh tea?” Rouxi had read that they were famous for Pu-erh tea.

Li Yun nodded and kissed her on the forehead before taking off.

37