214 – I’m a Doctor!
998 6 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Li Yun’s interview with Dr. Redding and Dr. Burton from BMJ was scheduled for mid-morning. It was a formal request by the hospital's director, but Li Yun saw the article as a form of advertisement. Although both Huifu and Yunli were at different points of the approval process internationally, the process of writing and publishing a medical journal was just as long. By the time the article is approved, the clinical trial for Yunli should have passed in China. It was the perfect opportunity to promote it to the public.

Early that morning, Li Yun sat in his office studying blood samples. On his desk were three vials of blood samples, antibiotics, and syringes. He carefully read the information on the small vial, which included the patient's name and the infected bacteria. The needle punctured into his left bicep, but there was some resistance to penetrate the skin. The blood fluid slowly entered his bloodstream as he examined the nature of how his body cleansed the blood. Li Yun wasn’t too concerned about the potential illness as most of the samples had already been tested. Even with his high immunity, he wouldn’t insert samples from patients with STDs or incurable diseases. He wasn’t willing to take that risk.

His body began to work its way to assess the threat. Once it confirmed the enemies, the streptococcus pyogenes, the body began to send the white blood cells to fight off the bacteria. Strangely enough, the white cells got rid of the bacteria without triggering other immune system responses like a sore throat. Had Li Yun meditated, the white blood cells would have reacted faster. After confirming that he could remove the bacteria known for causing strep throat, he inserted the blood sample into the petri dish and then his own blood. He looked into the microscope, but there wasn’t any unusual movement. It was expected. He had done other experiments with his blood in the past, but unfortunately, the blood outside of his body didn’t have any magical healing properties. Otherwise, he would be selling his own blood for profit. Just as he was about to test another sample, his cell phone alerted him of a call from Nurse Yuen.

“50 cars pile-up on the highway, including a school bus, central just requested help to take in around potentially 20 cases, we really need your help right now,” the nurse requested in an urgent tone.

“I’m on my way,” Li Yun responded as he dashed out toward the ER.

From the background sound coming from Nurse Yuen’s call, Li Yun could hear Chief Gao calling for all available help from other departments, An Luchang giving out commands to residents, and the nurses preparing emergency kits and extra beds.

"When are we expecting them to arrive?" Li Yun asked Chief Gao, who was still on the phone.

Chief Gao momentarily covered his phone and spoke to Li Yun, "It's rush hour, so they are going to have some trouble."

"Should I head out with the pre-hospital team?" Li Yun asked. "Who has a motorcycle or moped?"

Chief Gao didn't have to respond when he saw Li Yun rushing outside with a resident. There was no time to wait during this sort of situation. Li Yun figured that it was better to be on-site and help with the situation rather than wait for the ambulance.

"Maybe with this situation, I could request an air medical unit," Chief Gao thought before returning to his phone call to request everyone who was on call.

****

Near the site of the accident, a driver in a moped rushed through the rows of cars parked on the 5-lane highway. The driver honked at the people who were loitering around to see what was causing the traffic.

"Move out of the way!" the driver cried out as his moped cried out several beeps.

Unfortunately, honks from other cars and sirens coming in from all directions had drowned out the little beeps from the moped. Since the people weren't moving away, the driver looped into another lane where there were fewer people. Up ahead, there were barricades that the police had set up to prevent people from entering.

There was smoke in two areas of the wreckage that the firefighters were fighting to put out. The EMTs were all over the place applying first aid to the critically injured. Further back, the emergency rescue team moved quickly to rescue the children from inside the bus, which had flipped on its side. Near the barricade was a group of injured people arguing with the ambulance drivers to get them to the hospital.

"I was already given orders to drive back someone else!" The ambulance driver cried out. If they were strong enough to run and rush toward the ambulance, they were obviously capable of surviving. The EMTs were more concerned about people who were unable to move on their own.

"My arm is broken! I need help immediately!" A woman cried.

"I can't feel my leg, it's numb!" Another man cried out.

The EMTs did their best to provide first aid, but they had their priorities, and a broken limb wasn't one of them. The injured wasn't the only headache, there were people and reporters rushing in to see whether they could help or get an exclusive live streaming of the accident. The driver in the moped also attempted to cross the barricade.

"Hey, restricted area!" An officer cried out.

"I'm a doctor!" The driver flashed his badge, a simple resident badge stating Fan Geng, and drove inside.

The officer wasn't able to read the badge but could identify it as someone from Qinbei Hospital.

Fan Geng noticed that there were several people still in their cars. If they were fine, they would have been able to get out by now. He parked by a red imported car that was sandwiched between an SUV. Inside the car, there was a woman still unconscious over the inflated airbag. In the backseat was an infant, who was either sleeping or unconscious.

"Hey, are you okay!?" Fan Geng yelled as he attempted to open the door and knocked on the window.

No response. Fan Geng moved to the passenger side and elbowed the window.

"Ow!!!" Fang Geng screamed out after his failed attempt to break the window.

"You're going to need a bit more force," said someone from behind him.

Fan Geng turned back to see Li Yun approaching, "What are you doing here?"

"No time for that," Li Yun nudged Fan Geng out of the way and forced open the passenger's door. The door yanked open as though it was never locked.

"How the hell can you do that?" asked Fan Geng, in shock, but impressed that the car door was able to open.

Li Yun touched the woman's wrist and then the baby's, "The woman has internal bleeding, give her an IV and watch her blood pressure. The baby should be fine." Li Yun backed out of the car and looked at Fan Geng. "Any questions?"

"Uh, where do I get an IV?" asked Fan Geng.

"You didn't take a kit from the ambulance?" Li Yun asked in annoyance.

"I'll take care of this," said the resident who drove Li Yun on-site.

As the resident took care of the woman, Li Yun sharply looked to Fan Geng. "We are going to need more kits."

"Okay, I'll get them from the ambulance!" Fan Geng quickly recognized his mistake. He got back on his moped and headed toward the front.

In the meanwhile, Li Yun turned to re-examined the wreckage. He was going to need more than just Fan Geng to rescue the remaining people still trapped in their cars.

38