224 – Fire Rat
866 3 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Meimei, so good to hear from you," Song Taiji greeted her over the phone. “You missed out on the Spring Festival party."

“If it’s like the previous years, then I haven’t missed out much,” Rouxi responded over the phone.

“I wanted to give you your astrology.”

“I don’t believe in astrology.”

“I especially got it for you this year from Master Meng Shi,” said Song Taiji. “He said, as a fire rat, you get carried away by the moment and forget about the big picture. Be careful in your professional life as spies may interfere with your plans.”

“Anything else?” Rouxi had used enough Barnum statements on other people to know that all astrology readings were b******. Meng Shi had abilities, but fortune telling wasn’t one of them.

“It would have been a good time to invite and introduce your boyfriend to the rest of the family. I am a bit jealous that you have spent the Spring Festival with his family.”

Rouxi knew since the incident in Panda City that Song Taiji had been keeping tabs on Li Yun, but she didn’t know if they kept in contact afterward.

“Your boyfriend is a very interesting individual,” said Song Taiji. 

“Really? He’s a bore most of the time,” Rouxi complained.

Song Taiji laughed. “I thought he was talented before but the more I look into him, the more I feel like I have greatly underestimated him.”

Rouxi rolled her eyes, slightly annoyed at how sharp the old fox was. If she didn’t know Li Yun before, she was sure Song Taiji would have sold her off to Li Yun for his cooperation.

“I heard from your cousin that your company is doing well,” Song Taiji added after hearing no response from Rouxi.

When she listened to him talk, it was like he genuinely believed she was his granddaughter rather than his daughter.

“Did you hire people to recreate Zhou Mengfu’s calligraphy?” asked Rouxi, completely ignoring his statement.

“What are you talking about?” Song Taiji paused for a moment. “Ah, I remember now. Tang Jiang mentioned to me something about finding a replica of the scroll.”

Rouxi knew Tang Jiang was involved with the Imperial City Museum and had heard about what happened behind the scenes from Li Yun. “Does he know you had the real scroll?”

“Maybe, I have displayed my collection to a couple of other enthusiasts.”

“Then did you hire someone to replicate your own scroll?”

“Why would I need people to recreate it when I already have the genuine scroll?” he asked.

“You know better than anyone. Were you planning to sell a fake one to someone?”

“Many people had taken photos? Don’t you think it’s odd for me to do something so desperate?”

“I don’t know, you enjoy reproduction as much as the real thing. You probably didn’t hire the forger, but you must know someone who could recreate it?”

“Other than your boyfriend? Or is this something you’re helping him with?”

“Why does it matter? So, do you know someone who has the ability to recreate it?”

"A few. I can have Secretary Liang send you a list of enthusiasts who had seen the scroll.” Song Taiji could tell Rouxi was about to hang up and quickly made her an offer. “Would you like the real scroll for graduation?”

“No, but who invited you to my graduation?"

“Of course I have to attend, you’re my favorite granddaughter.”

Rouxi rolled her eyes again. Unbelievable, he wasn’t to let up his lovable grandfather act. 

“Are you still upset that I sent people to follow your boyfriend?” he asked, sensing the silence and her irritation from across the phone.

“You know the real reason.” According to her aunt, Song Taiji had ordered a hit on her mother, forcing the two sisters to escape the country. But even in Beauty County, they had to lay low to avoid potential assassination.

“Despite all that had happened, you grew up well, better than your cousins,” said Song Taiji. “If you hadn’t grown up in your condition, you wouldn’t be who you are today.”

Before he could finish, she had already hung up. Song Taiji, undeterred by her response, placed his phone back into his pocket. He had expected her to hang up earlier, but never expected a full conversation with her that lasted over ten minutes. It seemed that having a boyfriend was having a positive effect on their relationship.

He moved out of his private office and sat down on a sofa opposite of an elderly man in dark blue robe. The elderly man had a straight posture, but a slight bend to his spine was caused by aging. He was a regular guest in Song Taiji's villa known as Master Meng Shi.

“Is that little Meilin?” asked Master Meng Shi.

The old master reached out to lift up a cup of tea from the coffee table and patiently blew away the wisp of hot steam. After taking a sip, Secretary Liang offered to refill his cup, but he declined.

Song Taiji nodded. "Her graduation is coming up."

"I am going to assume you invited yourself to her graduation," Master Meng Shi guessed correctly.

"Since Ke An and Gaode are heading there, it's only appropriate for me to follow."

“You haven’t been able to invite Dr. Li?” Master Meng Shi inquired.

Song Taiji shook his head as he gave the elderly man Li Yun’s report. The elderly man, Meng Shi, ran his hand through his long grey beard as he flipped through the pages.

According to the report, Li Yun led a very uneventful life. There wasn’t anything unusual about him other than his strong obsession with Taoism while growing up. However, having seen Li Yun personally, Song Taiji knew that there was something about him that was unusual and sent Secretary Liang out to investigate. 

"Did you find anything particular about Dr. Li?" Master Meng Shi asked.

"Nothing unusual," Secretary Liang replied. "But..."

Secretary Liang narrated the time he personally followed Li Yun in Panda City. During that time, Secretary Liang had followed Li Yun from inside his car. There was nothing unusual about Li Yun, but there was something unsettling about the doctor. According to Secretary Liang, out of all the criminals, foreign spies, and assassins he had followed, it was the doctor who gave him a bit of fright.

"You were afraid of following the doctor?" Master Meng Shi grew more curious about the doctor.

Secretary Liang wasn’t a normal secretary. While in college, he was recruited by the secret police and had worked with them for ten years, specializing in following dangerous criminals to uncover their hideouts. It was the main reason why Song Taiji had selected him to be a personal secretary.

“I am not sure if he’s dangerous, but he seems too normal,” said secretary Liang. Based on what he knew about the Song family, only people like Master Meng Shi could associate with Song Taiji. 

“How about the tail we have sent out?” Song Taiji inquired further.

“Mr. Song, I do not think that will be enough,” secretary Liang said in a careful tone.

“What do you mean?” Song Taiji’s eyebrow raised curiously. 

“The spy that we have sent out doesn’t have all the access.” The employee they bribed at Shennong’s factory said it was extremely difficult to enter and navigate freely into the laboratory space. Only the top four management team and Mr. Hun Lun could enter into the space. “They are protecting the place from corporate spies.”

“I see,” Song Taiji stated. “Aside from the Xia, who else is looking into him?”

“The Chen, Long and Tang family had requested information about him,” said secretary Liang.

“How is little Yun after the incident at the temple?” Song Taiji asked.

“He had been working out at the gym,” said secretary Liang. “The doctors in Panda City are still wondering about what had happened. However, it is widely known that Dr. Li has the ability to put people to sleep. It is possible he had experimented on himself at the temple, and it caused him to sleep during that time.”

Song Taiji didn’t think it was the reason, but Li Yun’s medical ability was certainly more remarkable than he thought. Song Taiji had called Master Yi Bao about his new disciple, but the Master was cryptic about his ability.

“Old Yi is not going to reveal information about his disciple,” Master Meng Shi responded.

“What do you think about Li Yun?” Song Taiji asked.

“Without seeing him personally, I cannot answer with certainty,” Master Meng Shi responded. “However, based on his medical ability and connection to Old Yi, I will say he might be a good match for little Meilin. Would that put her in contention as a successor?”

Song Taiji took a moment to think.

32